GDT: Preseason games 2024-25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
This is bad for us.

Blake gets an excuse to add to a team that was still getting bounced in the playoffs.

If management handcuffs him he gets a 1 year extension do to unforeseen obstacles losing 1 damn for the year.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Major injuries to key players is exactly the kind of thing that sinks shallow teams.

I really hope Jordan "Mini-Doughty" Spence is up to the task. At least Blake thought to sign 9 NHL defensemen for 7 spots.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Just a reminder that looking good in the pre season doesn't mean much.

Countless times we've seen players and lines look great then be irrelevant when the real hockey starts.
Thats pretty true on an individual basis but for the team as a whole its important that they are looking sharp and playing with tempo.
There have been years they are dogging it and lethargic in preseason then it carries over and they go limping into the regular season.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I just think it's the presentation of his opinion.

It's only in a subsequent tweet, after putting the worst case scenario (that people may not see or read) that he says "after seeing it more..."

Imagine a doctor taking a glance, speculate someone either had a fainting spell or a stroke, and then follow up with "oh, after looking at it more, it's probably not a stroke."

I just expect him, if he's going to offer an informed opinion, to watch something multiple times so he could say with more definition and confidence what he thinks happened. His first tweet/post was anything anyone else could have done.

That's just my opinion though.

Maybe, but you also have to wonder about people who get their news from Twitter/X WTF it's called now etc. Clearly the guy is pondering, I don't think, well I would hope...no one takes him seriously in that they think he knows what the actual case is with Drew Doughty, no one really thinks he saw him directly after and looked at his ankle etc.....at least, I hope no one would think that....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Thats pretty true on an individual basis but for the team as a whole its important that they are looking sharp and playing with tempo.
There have been years they are dogging it and lethargic in preseason then it carries over and they go limping into the regular season.
I disagree. I've seen plenty of teams look sharp in pre season and fall flat in regular season. Vice versa as well.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I disagree. I've seen plenty of teams look sharp in pre season and fall flat in regular season. Vice versa as well.
Not really for the Kings. They sucked in preseason and limped into the season getting a players coach in Stevens fired. Maybe its different for other teams but for the Kings in the last handful of years the tempo of their preseason is usually a pretty good indicator of how they start the year.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Pretty irresponsible for a doctor to speculate like that without looking at any imaging.
What’s wrong with giving an educated opinion? It’s nice to have medical professionals try to break down for someone like me who doesn’t know what I’m looking at. You’re reading too much into the intent.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Not really for the Kings. They sucked in preseason and limped into the season getting a players coach in Stevens fired. Maybe its different for other teams but for the Kings in the last handful of years the tempo of their preseason is usually a pretty good indicator of how they start the year.
The Kings did look lethargic that whole camp, but there's no real correlation between pre season and regular season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Saw the guy putting the achilles posibility out there last night and also found it to be pretty ridiculous. Basing it on something like "not being able to flex his foot one way" for this type of injury is stupid. Yeah...he isn't going to be able to flex his foot in every direction when there is a fracture: doesn't mean he couldn't do it because his achilles is torn.

There wasn't any need to tack that on except to get retweets and clicks.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah def dont' want to read too much into individual performances but the team buy-in and preparation is encouraging. Guys scrapping at camp...you can't fake that. If it's a team with a chip on their shoulder, it'll actually be worth watching.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I do think that they’re going to chain Clarke to Edmundson no matter what since they signed him specifically for Clarke’s protection. I’m expecting Burroughs to play on the 2nd pair and Englund to sub in for Clarke in games where they think they need an extra face puncher for no reason. Maybe he’ll get cleanup duty of the last 30 seconds of power plays on the 2nd unit.

What the hell.

He is going to be on PP1/PP2.

No cleanup duty, or playing on off point.

Depending on how dangerous a team is shorthanded and the the game sitch, different partners.

• Haha
Reactions: BaileyFan

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
The time is now, ride Spence and Clarke on the right side
The coaches won't do it but if management believes Clarke is their guy than he should get all of Doughty's minutes. They need to use him as the #1D for all situations. If Clarke does well than bring Doughty in lightly as the 3rd pairing guy until he is ready to take over and if Clarke can't do it than you better think about paying for a RHD in the offseason.

Anderson-Clarke
Gavrikov-Spence
Edmundson-Burroughs
England/Moverare

• Haha

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The coaches won't do it but if management believes Clarke is their guy than he should get all of Doughty's minutes. They need to use him as the #1D for all situations. If Clarke does well than bring Doughty in lightly as the 3rd pairing guy until he is ready to take over and if Clarke can't do it than you better think about paying for a RHD in the offseason.

Anderson-Clarke
Gavrikov-Spence
Edmundson-Burroughs
England/Moverare

Hiller . Blake and possibly higher in the food chain's necks may be on the line.

Clarke may see time on PP1 but will be sheltered in some sitchys.

Even 5 on 5 , Brough and Clarke may switch pairs depending.

Gav - Spen

Anderson - Clarke

Edmo - Brough

Movie

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What’s wrong with giving an educated opinion? It’s nice to have medical professionals try to break down for someone like me who doesn’t know what I’m looking at. You’re reading too much into the intent.
Because in this case, he has no imaging and threw out potential diagnoses based on a cursory glance that he had to amend in a later tweet after "watching it more."

So, it wasn't a very educated opinion.

Here's the thing, if he gave a clear breakdown of how certain impacts could vary in different ways, I would have loved it. I follow plenty of accounts on different topics outlining their opinion in 30-200 tweets providing useful and interesting information, including factors that could affect their opinion.

Saying "broken ankle, 6 weeks. Torn achilles, season ending. Here's a test to find out how" is, I'm sorry, lazy. And I honestly don't think it's helpful or interesting.

What part of the ankle looks like it could be fractured based on how he hit the boards?
1727388208402.png

Does the location affect recovery time? Would it impact future skating strides?

Is it possible it's just a gnarly sprain (that a non-MD suggested in his thread that he didn't even consider to mention)?

1727388646545.png

If yes, what would be the recovery window?

A sprain (injury involving the ligament) is different from a torn tendon. I also saw he's a family doctor. So, his specialty isn't even sports medicine.

I appreciate that someone has an interest in hockey and that he tweets about it, but I simply expect better from doctors offering their medical opinion. Especially in today's climate where people are anti-vaxx, because they don't trust in the medicine.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
We’re banking LTIR savings on the cap for like 3 months with the two big injuries, right? Should be an interesting lead up to the TDL if there is $4M extra to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad