GDT: Preseason Games 2 & 3, Oilers Flames in a Double header beer leaguer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
  • Don't mind Podz and Lavoie getting a look with Drai, I also like Petrov and Philp getting time with the crafty vet in Perry.
  • That 4th line also has the chance to be a menace.
  • Kemp also getting a bit more of a spotlight look, while the Other defence seems to be more of who can stand out vs. each other. Not sure I like the lack of speed on the home defence there. Wouldn't have minded Kulak or Gleason there instead.

• The defence here is decent for a preseason road game. It'll be interesting to see who stands out.
  • Forwards are thin af though. I'd reverse Hoffman and Caggiula vs. Gregor's projections. At least give the team's 2 best offensive prospects someone that has actually had success in the NHL vs. a tweener.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
  • Don't mind Podz and Lavoie getting a look with Drai, I also like Petrov and Philp getting time with the crafty vet in Perry.
  • That 4th line also has the chance to be a menace.
  • Kemp also getting a bit more of a spotlight look, while the Other defence seems to be more of who can stand out vs. each other. Not sure I like the lack of speed on the home defence there. Wouldn't have minded Kulak or Gleason there instead.

• The defence here is decent for a preseason road game. It'll be interesting to see who stands out.
  • Forwards are thin af though. I'd reverse Hoffman and Caggiula vs. Gregor's projections. At least give the team's 2 best offensive prospects someone that has actually had success in the NHL vs. a tweener.

I find it a bit curious that Ryan is playing RW. Kind of wonder if JJ/SB don’t see him as a C at this point. Probably too early to speculate but I find it interesting.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I find it a bit curious that Ryan is playing RW. Kind of wonder if JJ/SB don’t see him as a C at this point. Probably too early to speculate but I find it interesting.
I think it's more about finding out what you have in Lane Pederson. He has a legit chance at being the full time 4th line centre and playing with 2 NHL vets will help you see what you have there.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
There's time for this though. If those prospects are guys like Savoie and Lavoie it makes sense to see what they have with a better center.
I hear that every year. Then I hear the complaints on here how we wasted time doing this and now so and so player has no chemistry with his actual linemates.

I actually don’t mind seeing some of our top prospects getting reps with McDavid and Draisaitl. I think it would be really exciting for them and it should give them a confidence boost.

I do find it strange that McDavid is playing with his typical linemates where as Draisaitl isn’t. If Draisaitl’s is willing to play with some prospects, I think it’s good leadership by him. But it probably makes more sense for Draisaitl to establish some chemistry with new linemates so it’s just kind of strange.
Oilers aren’t in the window of giving prospects boosts. They are in the window of win now. Leon is going to have 2 new linemates, you would hink you’d want to give that line a running start to the season

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I hear that every year. Then I hear the complaints on here how we wasted time doing this and now so and so player has no chemistry with his actual linemates.

Oilers aren’t in the window of giving prospects boosts. They are in the window of win now. Leon is going to have 2 new linemates, you would hink you’d want to give that line a running start to the season

Don’t get me wrong. I would prefer if Draisaitl was at least getting some reps with Arvidsson (and potentially Skinner though I prefer RNH with him). But I still like to see the youngers getting some reps.

McDavid should know how to play with RNH/Hyman.

Guess will say in the previous training camps we seen McDavid play with our top guys and it didn’t translate to good starts. I think getting more guys going (and health obviously )is better overall to the team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I actually like Drai playing a game with the prospects. It’s just cool for the prospects, as long as Leon is willing. IMO Leon should just focus on setting the kids up, have fun with it and boost ‘em up.

What a cool opportunity for a prospect and for Drai, it’s just a warmup.

But yeah organizationally I love it. I want our prospects to feel like they’re part of the team, they very well could be in the future.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I actually like Drai playing a game with the prospects. It’s just cool for the prospects, as long as Leon is willing. IMO Leon should just focus on setting the kids up, have fun with it and boost ‘em up.

What a cool opportunity for a prospect and for Drai, it’s just a warmup.

But yeah organizationally I love it. I want our prospects to feel like they’re part of the team, they very well could be in the future.
And also one of the complaints especially with regards to Lavoie is that he gets saddled with garbage in pre-season.

Can’t make that claim now.

I'm trying to figure out which one is their A team and which is their B team.... I only see D teams.

That’s really generous.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
SOR getting a healthy/fair look in pre-season which is kinda neat. I feel in years past an Oilers first rounder would not have gotten that kind of chance (or been returned to their junior team by now) even with the strong effort in Game 1. Nice to see this management/coaching group understand the value in letting kids hang around the vets and our org so early in their careers.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
SOR getting a healthy/fair look in pre-season which is kinda neat. I feel in years past an Oilers first rounder would not have gotten that kind of chance (or been returned to their junior team by now) even with the strong effort in Game 1. Nice to see this management/coaching group understand the value in letting kids hang around the vets and our org so early in their careers.
I expect him to be returned to junior after tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad