GDT: Preseason Games 2 & 3, Oilers Flames in a Double header beer leaguer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not going to sell free trials to Oilers+ with these types of performances
I subscribed before the game then cancelled after the game haha. That's enough preseason games for me, I'll just fish for streams of the not so legal variety if I'm interested in watching.

He’s gonna have to get over that if it comes down to it.

The best our defense was all playoff was when Kulak was with Nurse and Broberg on the left side with Ceci. Then Knoblauch changed it purportedly because Kulak “wasn’t comfortable” on his off side. Then defense went right back to shit for the most part immediately in the final.
The defense wasn't the problem in the finals.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I subscribed before the game then cancelled after the game haha. That's enough preseason games for me, I'll just fish for streams of the not so legal variety if I'm interested in watching.

The defense wasn't the problem in the finals.
Don't you still get a month of subscription even if you did that?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Well that happened. I know it’s just preseason but I hope that shows the guys that no one will lie down for them this season. Every team in the league will be gunning for us so I hope they take notice and make sure they are ready when that puck drops on October 8th

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Well that happened. I know it’s just preseason but I hope that shows the guys that no one will lie down for them this season. Every team in the league will be gunning for us so I hope they take notice and make sure they are ready when that puck drops on October 8th

In the back of my mind I am a little concerned about this group flopping again for the first quarter of the season. Not because of the pre-season games being any sort of indicator, but it's just in their nature. We haven't had a non-roller coaster October - January maybe ever. This is the best coach we have had in recent history so I am cautiously optimistic, but this team has made me feel dumb on more than one occasion when I have been convinced that they won't blow up the first 25% of the season anymore, but still do.

I don't need the team to win the President's Trophy by US Thanksgiving, but at the bare, bare minimum they need to be very comfortably in the top 3 in the Division by January 1.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
For the game in Edmonton, did any of the younger or bubble players stand out in a good way?

Didn’t get to watch because I refuse to pay for Oilers+

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Am I missing someone?

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-??
Stecher

Is Kemp playing #6?

I think the team will give the current D group one more shot against Winnipeg, and if Brown/Stecher/Dermott continue to look like trashola they call in a vet like Schultz or Shattenkirk. The good news is that still gives a new player four games to warm up their legs and settle into the room.

In that case our defense looks like this:

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Vet
Kulak-Emberson
Stecher

Gleason-Brown
Dineen-Carrick
Hoefenmayer-Wanner

I said it before preseason but I wouldn't be shocked to see Kemp dealt before the season starts for an F along the same trajectory, he just doesn't have the tools to be an NHLer IMO and Wanner is basically the same player with more skill. We will also need some top six help with Jarventie still recovering from his injury so it's a needed boost for Bako.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I didn't watch but I read that some people thought Barrie looked good (albeit when fighting for a job on a PTO on a basement team).

If Brown and Dermott aren't the options, would Barrie be an option to round out the defense and allow the Oilers to get revenge for the Versteeg signing a few years later?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad