GDT: Preseason Game 6, Canucks at Oilers beer leager. Sportsnet 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So Podkolzin didn’t do a thing with McD last night. Plug and play with the best C in the world isn’t guaranteed. You can panic all you want, I’ll judge Skinner in not less than 5 more games with Drai. Not sure what you expect As for Brown his line will continue to be an effective shutdown unit. If you want to worry, concentrate on Nurse and whoever his partner is. At this point they will have to be introduced to one another during the regular season. I find that concerning
Those clouds won't yell at themselves Antz. Otherwise what will he do.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What has Jeff Skinner done here to deserve even being in the starting roster?

What has Connor Brown or Perry done to be on it? Why is Ryan still on it.

My dislike of players that are just brought in here to be placeholders is well enough founded. The same practice prevents the team from granting its own prospects any further roles. Worse, a team that is old and slow and getting older is barring out the addition of useful players with fresh legs like Savoie, Lavoie, Philp etc.

Strange how people really think Connor Brown has earned respect and trust here. It was the play of guys like Connor Brown that almost had us fall out of playoff contention a year ago. Apparently he spent the entire season being in a funk. The only reason that you would bring in vets is to have them hit the ground running. Such players are SUPPOSED to be plug and play. Its the prospects that require time and opportunity. Apparently these are horrendous takes.

Its never been more important after a real short offseason for the Oilers to be dressing young legs and not waiving players like Lavoie or losing other prospects.
Skinner: He scored 24 goals last year and 35 the year before that. Thats what he has done to deserve being on the starting roster. As for "what has he done here" It's preseason and like most older players they don't take it super seriously.

Connor Brown: We have moved out some penalty killers, he is a good penalty killer and he has gotten better as the season and playoffs wen ton.

Perry: I agree here.

Ryan: Well if are shitting on Skinner for his preseason then you should be fine with Ryan cause he has looked really good.

It seems like the logical thing here is to keep Lavoie up, let Philp continue developing a bit, especially after his year off and keep Lavoie. Especially cause Philp doesn't require waivers.

Savoie looked like he has potential but isn't ready yet, putting him in the roster would be a disservice.

And when Skinner doubles Holloway’s goal totals this season, I’ll laugh at this.

It’s pre-season for a Cup contending team, none of the guys are going full bore, they’re trying to ramp up while avoiding injury in meaningless games.

Doesn’t seem smart to make an assessment of a player on a new team after 2 pre season games.
Doubling his goal totals would be a bad year for Skinner.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So Podkolzin didn’t do a thing with McD last night. Plug and play with the best C in the world isn’t guaranteed. You can panic all you want, I’ll judge Skinner in not less than 5 more games with Drai. Not sure what you expect As for Brown his line will continue to be an effective shutdown unit. If you want to worry, concentrate on Nurse and whoever his partner is. At this point they will have to be introduced to one another during the regular season. I find that concerning
Henrique is a fantastic player and consistent producer. He's wasted playing with these two. The line should be more than just low event. We probably need it to be more than that as well.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Henrique is a fantastic player and consistent producer. He's wasted playing with these two. The line should be more than just low event. We probably need it to be more than that as well.
Its obvious that the team is starting with that line to see if it was some chemistry that will continue from last year or flash in the pan. Regular season is long and always time and ability for movement in and out of lineup. So of course they are going to start with what worked.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Its obvious that the team is starting with that line to see if it was some chemistry that will continue from last year or flash in the pan. Regular season is long and always time and ability for movement in and out of lineup. So of course they are going to start with what worked.
The line didn't get much EV at any point. Henrique did at times. I would say Janmark had the brief spell of elevating in the SC final but not much production any other time last season. Henrique is a potential 60pt guy. NHL Is too quick on pucks now to have these kinds of all vet lines. Pressure too fast now. Makes it harder for older lines to cycle effectively now in contrast to say the dead puck era.

Skinner: He scored 24 goals last year and 35 the year before that. Thats what he has done to deserve being on the starting roster. As for "what has he done here" It's preseason and like most older players they don't take it super seriously.

Connor Brown: We have moved out some penalty killers, he is a good penalty killer and he has gotten better as the season and playoffs wen ton.

Perry: I agree here.

Ryan: Well if are shitting on Skinner for his preseason then you should be fine with Ryan cause he has looked really good.

It seems like the logical thing here is to keep Lavoie up, let Philp continue developing a bit, especially after his year off and keep Lavoie. Especially cause Philp doesn't require waivers.

Savoie looked like he has potential but isn't ready yet, putting him in the roster would be a disservice.

Doubling his goal totals would be a bad year for Skinner.
Appreciate somebody actually responding. Disagree on Ryan. I don't want him here longer. He did make a couple plays in preseason and he gives you everything he has but at present age thats not enough imo.

Disagree on Savoie. He's ready. Parking him in lesser rung does no favors to him. Why trade a starting roster player for a young stud if we're just going to park the young stud? Throw him the keys. I'd be parking guys like Perry and others.

Savoie showed me more here than several of the vets have.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

North

Jun 25, 2009
I didn't think he looked bad at all, just looked like a bottom-pairing defensive guy. He had some poise, but he was basically the only NHL regular on the blueline. Because the Nucks are desperate to get a longer look at their minor leaguers lol.
Jimmi he got beat wide by Corey Perry.

He looked like the Canucks version of Josh Brown.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Color me crazy but this is what I would have run last night, just to see how a more balanced roster with younger faster legs looks and putting a player like Lavoie where he might be more effective than rotting on a 4th line.

More balance and more effective bottom 6 with Ryan as the 13th F where he can sub out Philp and Perry depending on performance and game situation. Also you can swap RNH and Henrique around so there is plenty of flexibility within this roster.

I doubt they would run this as it farms out Podkolzin who probably doesnt clear waivers (mind you every team has 1 or 2 Podkolzins....lol) but for preseason anyway.

Henrique (placeholder for Kane) McDavid Hyman
Lavoie Draisaitl Arvidsson
Skinner RNH Perry (Placeholder for Henrique)
Janmark Philp Brown
Ryan 13F (sub in for Perry, Philp as needed)

Here there is not much happening in the way of regular season cap accrual however and I still am not sold on our right D whatsoever, especially with basically the entire season resting on if Nurse can have a bounce back year. If he doesn't that 2nd pairing could be a disastrous tire fire.

I think KK fell into the same trap test driving way too many players who had zero chance to make this team resulting in not enough sea trials for legit camp hopefuls. Now we have 2 games for the preset summer lines to find chemistry.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oh wow. He showed up in the SC final for like 3 of the games. Anybody with a pulse should b e able to motivate for that. The guy has been an abject floater. The whole I don't have confidence thing is BS. Interesting as well Connor Brown this offseason saying the same things he was last offseason that he's healthy, training hard, and prepared to be the best he's been. All words until he puts something together. This season we can't afford to carry guys like Brown around all year.

Brown scored 4 goals all season and only 2 in playoffs. Mott of the playoffs he was awful. Was so bad he was benched in some games. Not exactly important.

This is objectively untrue, and he was only scratched through the King series. He was great consistently after he came back in, and was arguably the best PK player on probably the best penalty kill I've ever seen.

I get it, you decided you didn't like him immediately and you refuse to acknowledge that he recovered in the back quarter of the season. He could have scored 50 last year and you would have pieced together some mental math as to how that was actually bad.

Perhaps the most underrated Oiler for 3 years running. Guy has been anchoring 3rd pairs, some of the best 3rd pairings in the league, with a revolving door of D partners his whole time here and is even better in the playoffs. It's why I cringe when I see trade talk of him, I'd look to re-sign him for a few years if anything.

I know that Kulak isn't "comfortable" playing the right side, but I think this might actually be the best way to start the season:

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Kulak
Dermott - Emberson
Stecher

Kulak didn't look out of place for a moment playing off side with Nurse against the Stars. I know he doesn't like playing there, but this formation balances out the defence in a way that actually makes some sense and de-risks it IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is objectively untrue, and he was only scratched through the King series. He was great consistently after he came back in, and was arguably the best PK player on probably the best penalty kill I've ever seen.

I get it, you decided you didn't like him immediately and you refuse to acknowledge that he recovered in the back quarter of the season. He could have scored 50 last year and you would have pieced together some mental math as to how that was actually bad.
Or it could be he didnt do all that much outside of pk. Thats the reality.

II literally cited the goal totals and healthy scratch games and you say thats untrue. Even though its what occurred. Connor Brown also missed one of the Canucks series games so what you're saying there is objectively untrue.

How on earth was Connor Brown considered great EV, at any point, last season or playoffs. What does great even mean anymore. heh

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
f you said Brown was useful and had a niche role that I can accept. But a sole pk role tends not to be that hard to replace
Two nights in a row, SC finals, five minutes in, Brown jump started a team with its back against the wall. Win or go home situation. Team was nervous and tentative and Brown was the guy who made something happen. Completely made the play on Janmark’s SH goal that opened the floodgates in game 4. I know that you know how huge that goal was. And then to start game five he scored a beauty SH of his own to again set the tone on the night. Guarantee every player on that bench knows what Brown did in that series. If a player you liked made those plays you’d still be talking about them. But because it was Brown, ‘he played OK’. Yeah, sure man. Whatever.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

II literally cited the goal totals and healthy scratch games and you say thats untrue. Even though its what occurred.

How on earth was Connor Brown considered great EV, at any point, last season or playoffs. What does great even mean anymore. heh

He was more than fine at EV in the playoffs. You crowing about how he was bad is objectively untrue. You are very likely completely 100% alone in that opinion, but keep going.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

II literally cited the goal totals and healthy scratch games and you say thats untrue. Even though its what occurred.

The Janmark Henrique Brown line was arguably the best bottom 6 line on any team in the playoffs last year. They were taking on tough defensive assignments and coming out ahead. Plus brown and Janmark were the two biggest monsters on the best PK ever.

Reactions: TB12

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
What has Jeff Skinner done here to deserve even being in the starting roster?

What has Connor Brown or Perry done to be on it? Why is Ryan still on it.

My dislike of players that are just brought in here to be placeholders is well enough founded. The same practice prevents the team from granting its own prospects any further roles. Worse, a team that is old and slow and getting older is barring out the addition of useful players with fresh legs like Savoie, Lavoie, Philp etc.

Strange how people really think Connor Brown has earned respect and trust here. It was the play of guys like Connor Brown that almost had us fall out of playoff contention a year ago. Apparently he spent the entire season being in a funk. The only reason that you would bring in vets is to have them hit the ground running. Such players are SUPPOSED to be plug and play. Its the prospects that require time and opportunity. Apparently these are horrendous takes.

Its never been more important after a real short offseason for the Oilers to be dressing young legs and not waiving players like Lavoie or losing other prospects.
It's the pre season and these guys have guaranteed spots. Once the real games start we can talk.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Two nights in a row, SC finals, five minutes in, Brown jump started a team with its back against the wall. Win or go home situation. Team was nervous and tentative and Brown was the guy who made something happen. Completely made the play on Janmark’s SH goal that opened the floodgates in game 4. I know that you know how huge that goal was. And then to start game five he scored a beauty SH of his own to again set the tone on the night. Guarantee every player on that bench knows what Brown did in that series. If a player you liked made those plays you’d still be talking about them. But because it was Brown, ‘he played OK’. Yeah, sure man. Whatever.
He played well in 3 of the games in the finals. How could any player with a pulse not elevate for that. Should this outlier performance erase that the player didn't bring much here all year? McLeod and Holloway played well in the final too. So did Broberg. Those players are all gone and devalued contributions by almost any poster here. I like Janmark but he too was guity of just being a limited use player much of the season. At least these guys are cheap. But prospects are even cheaper. Rather give the icetime to Lavoie, Savoie, Philp. You need youth in any lineup to effect balance and have some jump.

It's the pre season and these guys have guaranteed spots. Once the real games start we can talk.
For sure. Lets see what they bring. Now theres not much to talk about. Any of this talk is preferable and I can use some distraction from broader events outside of hockey.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I know that Kulak isn't "comfortable" playing the right side, but I think this might actually be the best way to start the season:

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Kulak
Dermott - Emberson
Stecher

Kulak didn't look out of place for a moment playing off side with Nurse against the Stars. I know he doesn't like playing there, but this formation balances out the defence in a way that actually makes some sense and de-risks it IMO.
Dermott for sure over Brown. I know it’s unfair to judge someone on a limited sample size, but he hasn’t even shown the ability to be a dependable 7th man at this point. I also like Kulak’s game and adaptability. He might be the influence that could help Nurse reestablish his game. I like this. Probably gets the team out of the gate with its strongest D line up group. Keeps things open for an upgrade later in the season.

Reactions: K1984

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He was more than fine at EV in the playoffs. You crowing about how he was bad is objectively untrue. You are very likely completely 100% alone in that opinion, but keep going.
Thats not even the case. Can show you any game thread in playoffs in the first two series and almost anybody here is thinking Brown ain't doing much. People revise their takes, we all do it, thats fine. Last season most posters here started to agree with my takes on Connor Brown. Not that it matters to me. just saying.

But I'll join the cult of Connor Brown if its warranted at all. Unlike many I wasn't a fan of his game before he was here. That does set me apart from most.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He played well in 3 of the games in the finals. How could any player with a pulse not elevate for that. Should this outlier performance erase that the player didn't bring much here all year? McLeod and Holloway played well in the final too. So did Broberg. Those players are all gone and devalued contributions by almost any poster here. I like Janmark but he too was guity of just being a limited use player much of the season. At least these guys are cheap. But prospects are even cheaper. Rather give the icetime to Lavoie, Savoie, Philp. You need youth in any lineup to effect balance and have some jump.

For sure. Let’s see what they bring. Now theres not much to talk about. Any of this talk is preferable and I can use some distraction from broader events outside of hockey.
Who wants players that elevate at the most important point of the year?

Not Drive.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thats not even the case. Can show you any game thread in playoffs in the first two series and almost anybody here is thinking Brown ain't doing much. People revise their takes, we all do it, thats fine. Last season most posters here started to agree with my takes on Connor Brown. Not that it matters to me. just saying.

But I'll join the cult of Connor Brown if its warranted at all. Unlike many I wasn't a fan of his game before he was here. That does set me apart from most.

I don't need to dive into threads from the playoffs to prove a claim you're making for you. You can go ahead and do the work.

You seem to be alone in this recollection as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Who wants players that elevate at the most important point of the year?

Not Drive.
McLeod, Holloway, Broberg were among our better playes in the SC final and produced and contributed more than even Legend Connor Brown in the final. They're all gone. The org valuing old broken players isntead of their own prospects. Who all played well in the SC final.

Seems even like I'm not the only one that has selective opinions. When all 3 of the young players were lost the board collectively goes "on well, little lost" Oddly enough on a board called Hockeyfutures that started out as a prospects leaning board.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Brown was not excellent unless the bar set for him is ridiculously low. I'm not a fan of the club just airlifting in, and keeping old injured legs instead of just giving their prospects big roles as other teams do. In Dallas for instance i was huge for that team to give young studs some starring roles. That gave Dallas some jump. I do think thats the better approach and as a team, you get more out of the fresher legs in playoffs. Indeed on many nights it was what Dallas got.

The Oilers beat them obviously because we have generational McD and Drai and Hyman playing out of his mind. Those players were excellent.

If you said Brown was useful and had a niche role that I can accept. But a sole pk role tends not to be that hard to replace. its the easiest unit to replace. Brown wasn't brought in here just to be a one role player. I haven't liked his EV game.
Brown had 2 goals, 6 points in 19 games lots of those pivotal points and a +4 in nearly 12 minutes a game in the playoffs getting better as the playoffs wore on. That's exactly what you want from your 3rd line winger in the playoffs, that's more than useful he was a difference maker in that role as was Janmark and Henrique.

The Oilers beat Dallas and almost Florida because of a collective effort. McDavid was obviously doing his thing but Drai was running on fumes those last two series far from his best. The depth guys were really good, Skinner played his best in those series and the defense, outside of the usual 2nd pairing mess, was solid, PK with Brown being a key part of that was all time good.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
McLeod, Holloway, Broberg were among our better playes in the SC final and produced and contributed more than even Legend Connor Brown in the final. They're all gone. The org valuing old broken players isntead of their own prospects. Who all played well in the SC final.

Seems even like I'm not the only one that has selective opinions. When all 3 of the young players were lost the board collectively goes "on well, little lost" Oddly enough on a board called Hockeyfutures that started out as a prospects leaning board.

This is so ridiculous all you can do is laugh, but in a crying way.

Alternate reality.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
. The org valuing old broken players isntead of their own prospects. Who all played well in the SC final.

10000% this. Will be the death of us. Only question is can they squeak out a cup this year. Honestly, theyre not only worse in the future on these moves, theyre worse today- straight up

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is so ridiculous all you can do is laugh, but in a crying way.

Alternate reality.
Seriously, McLeod was horrendous in the finals. No idea what Drive is watching, actually crazy that somebody could think that he was better than Brown in the Florida series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad