GDT: Preseason Game 5. Kraken @ Oilers beer leaguer. Streaming on Oilers+ at 7 pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well run orgs don't let their valuable assets hit waivers to potentially lose them for nothing. Just like how multiple teams were apparently eyeing us up over our now gone RFA'S, there is teams watching to see what gets left off the main roster of the top teams in the league.

I'm not worried about someone else "poaching" Perry. He won't play higher than 4th line unless something drastic happens, he was no good in the playoffs, and he playys the least valuable position in which we have good depth . He is fine to keep as a mentor and depth, but if you are losing anyone else for him, your doing it wrong. Idgaf if he has some guarantee, we aren't gonna ice a worse roster over Corey f***ing Perry's feelings.

Every team has one or two Lavoie’s that don’t get claimed. Like I said, name all the players like Lavoie that were claimed off the past 5 winners?

Lavoie’s case isn’t the same as Holloway or Broberg. They were scooped up through an offer sheet. Every team is sending players down on waivers right now, and every team has roster limits.

As for Perry you’re missing my point. Cup winners usually grab low cost depth veterans (like Perry) to fill depth roles rather than let rookies play those 5-6-7 minutes a night like Lavoie.

And as I said, I’d bet a large sum of money that there is 0 chance Perry gets sent down, regardless of how much fans might think he should be. He didn’t sign here to play in Bakersfield and Lavoie playing decent in preseason isn’t going to displace Perry unless Lavoie plays monster hockey which he’s not.

Having a good game against half an AHL Seattle team isn’t displacing anyone off the top 12.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Every team has one or two Lavoie’s that don’t get claimed. Like I said, name all the players like Lavoie that were claimed off the past 5 winners?

Lavoie’s case isn’t the same as Holloway or Broberg. They were scooped up through an offer sheet. Every team is sending players down on waivers right now, and every team has roster limits.

As for Perry you’re missing my point. Cup winners usually grab low cost depth veterans (like Perry) to fill depth roles rather than let rookies play those 5-6-7 minutes a night like Lavoie.

And as I said, I’d bet a large sum of money that there is 0 chance Perry gets sent down, regardless of how much fans might think he should be. He didn’t sign here to play in Bakersfield and Lavoie playing decent in preseason isn’t going to displace Perry unless Lavoie plays monster hockey which he’s not.

Having a good game against half an AHL Seattle team isn’t displacing anyone off the top 12.
Lmao, I'm not gonna go dig up waivers claims for the last 5 years for you, do it yourself you muppet. And yes, I know the situation w Broberg and Holloway was different, but the point is many on here said to be wary of offer sheets, and people like you brushed it off saying how unlikely it was. Now we have neither and you want to risk losing another young, higher draft pick??? Perry's experience means very little, it didn't get us over the hump last year and he didn't have many big moments. The team as a whole has the experience from last year now too, so his whole schtick is even less valuable.

Contenders have their rosters set for the most part, along with finding space for their own guys. The teams that would poach lavoie would be lower end teams with holes higher up in their roster so that they could give him a role to thrive. Sure they might see some value in the leadership Perry supposedly provides, or they may see his whole Chicago stint as a sign of something they want to avoid with their young stars.

It's arguable that losing Perry to waivers would help the team. There is no universe where losing Lavoie for nothing helps us. I honestly can't believe someone would even argue otherwise.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Lmao, I'm not gonna go dig up waivers claims for the last 5 years for you, do it yourself you muppet. And yes, I know the situation w Broberg and Holloway was different, but the point is many on here said to be wary of offer sheets, and people like you brushed it off saying how unlikely it was. Now we have neither and you want to risk losing another young, higher draft pick??? Perry's experience means very little, it didn't get us over the hump last year and he didn't have many big moments. The team as a whole has the experience from last year now too, so his whole schtick is even less valuable.

Contenders have their rosters set for the most part, along with finding space for their own guys. The teams that would poach lavoie would be lower end teams with holes higher up in their roster so that they could give him a role to thrive. Sure they might see some value in the leadership Perry supposedly provides, or they may see his whole Chicago stint as a sign of something they want to avoid with their young stars.

It's arguable that losing Perry to waivers would help the team. There is no universe where losing Lavoie for nothing helps us. I honestly can't believe someone would even argue otherwise.
Having to resort to insults is always a sign you're losing the debate.

And Lavoie is 24.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

What are you getting uptight about? I’m not arguing for or against waiving Lavoie. I’m saying the club probably will waive him due to wanting to run a short roster and has almost assuredly made a commitment to Perry. If you don’t like that then call up Bowman and call him a muppet.

By the way your the one making the claims that the Lavoie’s of the world get regularly claimed off contenders. I just said I can’t think of any so unless you can your statement is incorrect. Perhaps it isn’t. I just can’t think of any examples that agree with your statement.

Lavoie to me seems blocked and isn’t outplaying Podkolzin who also is seeing duty on the PK. Perry almost assuredly has a commitment and will only be replaced through injury or Lavoie drastically outplaying him in the next few games. Philp is competing for the 4C spot and let’s say they give it to him. Ryan probably displaces Perry meaning Lavoie has to beat out not only Perry but Ryan as well in this instance which won’t happen given Ryan’s ability to play right shot C if needed and his prowess on the PK.

The team decides to run only 12 F, so where does Lavoie fit then? That’s all I’m saying. No need to get hostile.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Perry's a vet who probably isn't taking pre-season all that seriously, but hopefully his job isn't guaranteed and someone on the staff can tell him like... hey... these young guys are coming for your job if you don't dig in a bit here.

Reactions: McDoused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don’t see Lavoie making the team. He doesn’t penalty kill and won’t be on the PP. He won’t displace Janmark or Brown with Henrique as I believe that line is set in stone.

That leaves the 4th line where he might get 6-7 minutes a night where he will just rot and is Classic Oilers, putting a rookie scorer on the 4th line and barely play them killing any confidence they have. I sense the new management won’t mismanage assets the way our past 2 regimes have.

Better to send him to the AHL and use him as an early call up in case of injury to the top 9 wingers. I doubt he gets claimed in waivers as every team has 1 or 2 Lavoie’s that they also will be waiving.
I really doubt he clears. If he is not going to make the team they should try to make a trade. Otherwise they are just flushing him.

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I really doubt he clears. If he is not going to make the team they should try to make a trade. Otherwise they are just flushing him.

If there’s doubt they send down Philp, keep Lavoie on a roster of 13F (14 w Kane). But seeing as our primary long term need will be to bolster our RD over a 13F they will need to accrue cap space somehow and won’t accrue much with a full roster of 23.

For him to get claimed Lavoie has to be markedly better than the fringe same age developing prospects of our opponents or he finds himself right back on waivers like many tweeners who get claimed.

Lavoie was good last game but let’s see where he’s at after 3 more games as it should be more obvious if he may be a claim risk, however I’d be surprised.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Both Lavoie and Philp deserve to be on this team.

What are you getting uptight about? I’m not arguing for or against waiving Lavoie. I’m saying the club probably will waive him due to wanting to run a short roster and has almost assuredly made a commitment to Perry. If you don’t like that then call up Bowman and call him a muppet.

By the way your the one making the claims that the Lavoie’s of the world get regularly claimed off contenders. I just said I can’t think of any so unless you can your statement is incorrect. Perhaps it isn’t. I just can’t think of any examples that agree with your statement.

Lavoie to me seems blocked and isn’t outplaying Podkolzin who also is seeing duty on the PK. Perry almost assuredly has a commitment and will only be replaced through injury or Lavoie drastically outplaying him in the next few games. Philp is competing for the 4C spot and let’s say they give it to him. Ryan probably displaces Perry meaning Lavoie has to beat out not only Perry but Ryan as well in this instance which won’t happen given Ryan’s ability to play right shot C if needed and his prowess on the PK.

The team decides to run

If there’s doubt they send down Philp, keep Lavoie on a roster of 13F (14 w Kane). But seeing as our primary long term need will be to bolster our RD over a 13F they will need to accrue cap space somehow and won’t accrue much with a full roster of 23.

For him to get claimed Lavoie has to be markedly better than the fringe same age developing prospects of our opponents or he finds himself right back on waivers like many tweeners who get claimed.

Lavoie was good last game but let’s see where he’s at after 3 more games as it should be more obvious if he may be a claim risk, however I’d be surprised.
Lavoie has been good all preseason and not just last game. His play in the next couple games will decide if Kane goes on LTIR or stays on IR.
Rest of the forward group is pretty much a lock. There is less than 1% chance of Philp starting in NHL forcing oilers to waive Ryan or Perry. The kid hasn't played hockey in months and doesn't need to clear waivers.. as easy a decision as it was for cutting Savoie and ORielly

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Lavoie has been good all preseason and not just last game. His play in the next couple games will decide if Kane goes on LTIR or stays on IR.
Rest of the forward group is pretty much a lock. There is less than 1% chance of Philp starting in NHL forcing oilers to waive Ryan or Perry. The kid hasn't played hockey in months and doesn't need to clear waivers.. as easy a decision as it was for cutting Savoie and ORielly
Kane won’t be going on LTIR

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The Oilers have stated they intend to keep Kane on the roster and accrue cap space. They also need that cap space to acquire a RD at the TDL or sooner.

Putting Kane on LTIR just to keep Lavoie doesn’t make sense as you want to be near the total cap limit before they do if I understand it correctly.

As for Philp it’s my guess that he gets a test drive at 4C at some point this year. In my opinion he’s been better than Lavoie and he’s not making it easy on the coaching staff at all.

Anyway it’ll be interesting to see how it shakes down.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Lavoie was not just good last game, he has been excellent in all three games he has played. He has 16 SOG so far this preseason. For a you g guys whose forte is goal scoring, one of the key tests is can he find space at the NHL level to get his shot off. Plus he's not just a shooter. This is a big guy who also plays hard.

It's true that lots of teams have better or similar prospects. But many of those guys don't need waivers. And a team like CBJ or Chicago can easily use a roster spot to add one more guy with the most difficult skill to teach in the game.

The Oilers have stated they intend to keep Kane on the roster and accrue cap space. They also need that cap space to acquire a RD at the TDL or sooner.

Putting Kane on LTIR just to keep Lavoie doesn’t make sense as you want to be near the total cap limit before they do if I understand it correctly.

As for Philp it’s my guess that he gets a test drive at 4C at some point this year. In my opinion he’s been better than Lavoie and he’s not making it easy on the coaching staff at all.

Anyway it’ll be interesting to see how it shakes down.
Actually Adding Lavoie and then LTIR'ing Kane does make sense from a cap perspective as he would take them to within about $100K for the ceiling. It won't prevent them from reducing the roster later and accruing space once they have fleshed out who ultimately stays.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Perry's a vet who probably isn't taking pre-season all that seriously, but hopefully his job isn't guaranteed and someone on the staff can tell him like... hey... these young guys are coming for your job if you don't dig in a bit here.

If he had a good playoffs I would give him a break. But hes been meh going back to the playoffs.

Reactions: McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Lavoie was not just good last game, he has been excellent in all three games he has played. He has 16 SOG so far this preseason. For a you g guys whose forte is goal scoring, one of the key tests is can he find space at the NHL level to get his shot off. Plus he's not just a shooter. This is a big guy who also plays hard.

It's true that lots of teams have better or similar prospects. But many of those guys don't need waivers. And a team like CBJ or Chicago can easily use a roster spot to add one more guy with the most difficult skill to teach in the game.

Actually Adding Lavoie and then LTIR'ing Kane does make sense from a cap perspective as he would take them to within about $100K for the ceiling. It won't prevent them from reducing the roster later and accruing space once they have fleshed out who ultimately stays.

Thanks for clarifying the LTIR, I thought we would still be way too low.

Looking excellent (I think he’s been good, not sure about excellent but to each their own) in preseason isn’t much as we’ve seen with other shooters like Rattie and Perlini. Yes he can shoot, but playing 4th line requires more of the checking skills needed of 4th liners. He won’t be getting off too many one timers or seeing the PP where he’s had a lot of shot chances generated from.

He’s got a great chance to make the team outright next year or this season as a call up. Or he blows the doors off in the last 3 preseason games even. Would be nice to make KK and SB life difficult as our prospects are thin.

Edit - just read this Curlock article and this is what I also see from Lavoie - and guaranteed the coaches are seeing it. Lots of upside but still a couple dents in his game.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Not to be a jerk but I've seen a few people say this (like Jason Gregor and Mark Spector) but I'd love to hear the 32-64 guys that are just as good as Lavoie.

I just dont think it's true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not to be a jerk but I've seen a few people say this (like Jason Gregor and Mark Spector) but I'd love to hear rhe 32-64 guys that are just as good as Lavoie.

I just dont think it's true.

I do not know the other 31 teams prospect depth like ours so I can’t give you names off the top of my head but there are a pile of them especially when you consider how weak our prospect pool is compared to the rest of the league. Watch the waiver wire the next 8-9 days and you’ll see them.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I do not know the other 31 teams prospect depth like ours so I can’t give you names off the top of my head but there are a pile of them especially when you consider how weak our prospect pool is compared to the rest of the league. Watch the waiver wire the next 8-9 days and you’ll see them.

So if you don't know the other 31 teams prospects pools and cant give any names, how can you make a statement that 31 other teams will have 1-2 Lavoies go through waivers?

Seems like your writing checks you cant cash. You're just making assumptions here.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So if you don't know the other 31 teams prospects pools and csnt give any names, how can you make a statement that 31 other teams will have 1-2 Lavoies go through waives? I.

Seems like your writing checks you cant cash.

Because this happens every single year where a home team fans worry about a tweener getting picked off waivers. Plus I can make the same claim as you but in reverse, place Lavoie in a list of the 60 of his closest peers from other teams and is he on top or in the top 5? Dont know the other teams prospects? Well then your writing cheques you can’t cash! ;)

I’m just saying teams value their own similar prospects more than other teams similar prospects as they have invested a lot into them. Unless a similar prospect is head and shoulders above theirs teams usually stick with their own.

Remember Lavoie would have to be on an NHL roster and a team willing to use one of their 50 roster spots on him.

Let’s see how he does in the final few games but I see enough flaws in his game (see the Curlock article I posted above) that players his age and talent level cannot make in the bigs as coaches lose trust fast. Has a helluva shot and lots of upside but so do plenty of other teams 23-24 year olds.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Because this happens every single year where a home team fans worry about a tweener getting picked off waivers. Plus I can make the same claim as you but in reverse, place Lavoie in a list of the 60 of his closest peers from other teams and is he on top or in the top 5? Dont know the other teams prospects? Well then your writing cheques you can’t cash! ;)

I’m just saying teams value their own similar prospects more than other teams similar prospects as they have invested a lot into them. Unless a similar prospect is head and shoulders above theirs teams usually stick with their own.

Remember Lavoie would have to be on an NHL roster and a team willing to use one of their 50 roster spots on him.

Let’s see how he does in the final few games but I see enough flaws in his game (see the Curlock article I posted above) that players his age and talent level cannot make in the bigs as coaches lose trust fast. Has a helluva shot and lots of upside but so do plenty of other teams 23-24 year olds.

Once again you're making assumptions. Take a look around the league. You're smarter than this. It doesn't take long.

I'm going through some of the other teams and here is who I've found so far:

CBJ - 5'7" Trey Fix-Wolansky.
ANA - 27 year old Jansen Harkins
CGY - 28 year old Dryden Hunt
SJS/UTAH/BUF - none and they can afford 14 skaters if they want.
BOS - 29 year old Vinni Lettieri and 32 year old Patrick.brown.
CHI - 26 year old Joey Anderson
NSH - maybe 30 year old mark jankowski?

So stop making shit up please.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Once again you're making assumptions. Take a look around the league. You're smarter than this. It doesn't take long.

I'm going through some of the other teams and here is who I've found so far:

CBJ - 5'7" Trey Fix-Wolansky.
ANA - 27 year old Jansen Harkins
CGY - 28 year old Dryden Hunt
SJS/UTAH/BUF - none and they can afford 14 skaters if they want.
BOS - 29 year old Vinni Lettieri and 32 year old Patrick.brown.
CHI - 26 year old Joey Anderson
NSH - maybe 30 year old mark jankowski?

So stop making shit up please.

I’m not making shit up. Teams value their own prospects isn’t making shit up (ask a pro scout or head coach or two) and Lavoie still has flaws in his game. Yes he can shoot a puck. He won’t use that skill much on the 4th line.

All I’ve been saying is I think he’s blocked and IF the Oilers want to stick with 12 healthy F or not LTIR Kane I think he gets sent down and yes I think he would clear. Your within your right to disagree.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I’m not making shit up. Teams value their own prospects isn’t making shit up (ask a pro scout or head coach or two) and Lavoie still has flaws in his game. Yes he can shoot a puck. He won’t use that skill much on the 4th line.

All I’ve been saying is I think he’s blocked and IF the Oilers want to stick with 12 healthy F or not LTIR Kane I think he gets sent down and yes I think he would clear. Your within your right to disagree.

You're moving the goal posts because you can't support your claims and assumptions. Of course we overvalue our own guys but that has nothing to do with waivers and the 32-64 guys that "every team has".

For future reference, just take the L and move on. It's not that we agree or disagree. It's that you made a false claim based on false assumptions. Just because other people say it doesn't make it right, it's wrong.

The short of it it is that Lavoie is a prime candidate to be plucked off waivers and no other teams don't have 1-2 guys just like him. Regardless of the Oilers situation, it just seems like a really lazy justification for losing a guy for nothing.

I remember when Janmark went through waivers before and ended up being a valuable piece for us later on. The same could be said for Lavoie who cleared last year. Heck Forsling went on waivers and is now a top pairing defenceman.

The Oilers are already tasked with having to dig deep just find these kinds of guys, let alone letting them go for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You're moving the goal posts because you can't support your claims and assumptions. Of course we overvalue our own guys but that has nothing to do with waivers and the 32-64 guys that "every team has".

For future reference, just take the L and move on. It's not that we agree or disagree. It's that you made a false claim based on false assumption because other people say it even though they are also wrong.

The short of it it is that Lavoie is a prime candidate to be plucked off waivers and no other teams don't have 1-2 guys just like him regardless of the Oilers situation. Seems like a really lazy justification for losing a guy for nothing.

Sorry that I don’t know the 3000 or so players that make up the NHL and its minor and Jr teams off by heart and in perfect detail to give you an instant list at your demand.

It’s a generalization I am making. Could he get picked off waivers? Sure maybe. Just in MY OPINION I don’t think he does and without getting into it I know that teams value their own growth players.

As I said above let’s see what happens.

I’m not trying to debate you but you’re looking for a great big W I guess so you can have it if you want. Have a great night.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

That would be THE most monumentally shortsighted move our team has made in a decade…. And that’s saying something.

Surely a cap constrained contender can’t be considering foregoing $4.5M in accrued deadline cap space just to save Lavoie, can they?!?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad