GDT: Preseason Game 4. Oilers @ Jets; beer leaguer # 2. On Oilers+ at 6 pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Absolutely, and young players. Letting draftees get a "taste" of Pro-hockey is good, but yeah just having to sprinkle in regulars is annoying.

8 games it just too many though, should be 6, but preferably 4.

That's enough time to try guys out and tune up.
It's just like an extended rookie tournament to me right now lol.

My buddy was having people over for the game last night, said not a chance I'm gonna waste three hours on it. Well probably closer to 4 with travel.

Like I said if they had the AHL rule for these first bunch of games I might be more inclined to watch, but the matchups are so lopsided that there isn't much to take out of it.

Although another buddy of mine did say they got cheap tickets for next week and are going to take their boys to their first game at Rogers, so shit like that is kinda cool. although I did mention popcorn and pop are gonna probably cost more than his tickets :laugh:

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Absolutely, and young players. Letting draftees get a "taste" of Pro-hockey is good, but yeah just having to sprinkle in regulars is annoying.

8 games it just too many though, should be 6, but preferably 4.

That's enough time to try guys out and tune up.
Blame the oilers for how many pre season games they play.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
it’s just preseason but getting blown out so much sucks lol.
We have had what, one game in Preseason and rookie tournament where we weren’t awful? Lol
Yeah, it's been a rough time lol.
I haven't seen all the games but all the ones I've seen have been absolute trash.

I'm glad hockey is back but this preseason needs to put to rest already.

One thing this preseason does illustrate is that the Oilers organizational pipeline is extremely lacking. Good thing they overhauled the amateur staff because the previous regime screwed us.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Its kinda odd imo. I cant get a handle on what it is. Its like campy, or satire (obviously its not) or something .
Ya some of the cutaways when they slow mo the action/walking etc is a bit “music video “ but at least they kept it to a minimum. Javier Bardem I thought played his character very well. (Always been a fan since No Country for Old Men).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don’t see players in Kemp or Wanner. Just. Not good players. Maybe can carve a good AHL careers but that’s it.
Wanner is a 21 year old Dman who had a solid pro rookie season, literally just played one pro season. It's lunacy to write him off after a few preseason games.
He's raw especially defending in space but there's a really good skillset there that can be developed. Kemp always had very limited upside.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
It’s kinda odd imo. I cant get a handle on what it is. It’s like campy, or satire (obviously it’s not) or something .
I feel like the show did a good job of representing how even if you have truth within your story (the child abuse) that telling an elaborate series of lies to embellish the story won’t go your way.

The story told by them is insane. A solid watch. Especially episode 5!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Wanner is a 21 year old Dman who had a solid pro rookie season, literally just played one pro season. It's lunacy to write him off after a few preseason games.
He's raw especially defending in space but there's a really good skillset there that can be developed. Kemp always had very limited upside.
Not necessarily writing them off, well maybe Kemp (I have never seen him as a player). Wanner has more potential but I just don't like his game. It seems to work in the AHL a bit but I just don't think he has the iq to work at the NHL level. That said he is 21 and there is time for that to change.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Games like last night are just the worst. There is zero value in playing in it for either side. Oilers young/depth players get pretty much no opportunity to play on the right side of the puck and the Jets roster players don't get reps against real competition. Sadly the revenue aspect of these games will make them never go away, but there needs to be no more than about 5 games at the very, very most.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Not necessarily writing them off, well maybe Kemp (I have never seen him as a player). Wanner has more potential but I just don't like his game. It seems to work in the AHL a bit but I just don't think he has the iq to work at the NHL level. That said he is 21 and there is time for that to change.

Sharks fans on the trade board seemed to like my proposal of Kemp for Daniil Gushchin. He's a little guy, probably a AAAA player, but we need a ringer like that in the A with Jarventie possibly on the shelf to start the year. Sharks need more depth at RD in the system, especially once they move Ceci and Rutta for picks at the deadline. Cut Dermott, sign Hoffman and the depth looks good all through the org:

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-RV
Hoffman-Henrique-Podkolzin
Janmark-Hamblin/Philp-Brown
Ryan, Perry

Ek-Bouch
Nurse-?
Kulak-Emberson
Stecher

Gushchin-Pederson-Lavoie
Jarventie-Hamblin/Philp-Savoie
Caggiula-Grubbe-Petrov
Stonehouse-Berglund-Stefan

Dineen-Brown
Gleason-Carrick
Hoefenmayer-Wanner

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Philp was the best of the bunch of the players looking for big time role for me. If he continues to develop and the 4th line is struggling I could see him getting an early call up. I would like to see KK run Podkolzin, Philp and Perry next game. The P3 line.

Hoffman might as well pack his bags but they will probably play him on 1 of the 2 road games left to play and possibly 1 of the home games.

There is now no more point in playing any D except for the guys legitimately with a shot, and I would include Kemp in that mix of Brown, Stetcher, Dermott and Emberson. Emberson had some shaky moments out there but some good moments as well, something I think we probably must expect from a guy who has played only 30 NHL games in his career.

The rest of the boys need to pack thier shit and get on the next plane to Bako or their Junior teams.

The roster obviously wasn't great last night, but it was ultimately the defence filled with players that don't have a hope is what caused the team to not even get up off the mat. The forward group was disjointed and lazy in the game in Edmonton too, but again, it was the scrub D that caused the game to go south.

As you said, they need to stop playing these scrub D men. Even against pre-season competition this is way over their head. Play some semblance of the normal D group just once so that we might have a hope of playing something actually resembling a normal game to get ready for the season.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Games like last night are just the worst. There is zero value in playing in it for either side. Oilers young/depth players get pretty much no opportunity to play on the right side of the puck and the Jets roster players don't get reps against real competition. Sadly the revenue aspect of these games will make them never go away, but there needs to be no more than about 5 games at the very, very most.
The only value is a strong indicator they don't have a second or third pairing RD.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Ya some of the cutaways when they slow mo the action/walking etc is a bit “music video “ but at least they kept it to a minimum. Javier Bardem I thought played his character very well. (Always been a fan since No Country for Old Men).
Very compelling series. Episode 5 is one of the best constructed and acted scenes I've ever seen in television. Definitely jarring with the content and disorientating as it weaves the story telling around changing points of view each episode. Acting is superlative.

• Love
Reactions: brentashton

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Well that wouldn't be a close move at all. Don't you want the new players to build chemistry on the ice?
What do you think practices and camp are for?

The players are skating and running down game drills together, its not like if they don't play a preseason game that aren't together on ice.

I want them to play as little games as possible in the preseason and avoid injury and burnout.

You can't win the cup in September and October and as we found out last year you can't lose it either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What do you think practices and camp are for?

The players are skating and running down game drills together, its not like if they don't play a preseason game that aren't together on ice.

I want them to play as little games as possible in the preseason and avoid injury and burnout.

You can't win the cup in September and October and as we found out last year you can't lose it either.
There is a massive difference between practicing together and playing together in games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad