GDT: Preseason Game 3 - Laval Rocket+ vs Leafs 7PM EST Sportsnet & RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Our young D got walked a ton tonight, but that's what happens when the vet in the mix is Xhekaj with like 100 games of experience.

Hutson looked good. He got run a couple of times, especially by Reaves. If he makes the team, we'll have to watch that closely. I thought Engstrom played decent despite the brutal play that led to Robertson's goal.

Reinbacher had a tough night, especially in the first. I thought Barron was pretty bad too.

On forward, no one really did a whole lot.

Dobes was fantastic. I don't watch a lot of Laval but I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
To talk more about Habs "new" defence, wasn't as good tonight as the two previous games, but they still kept the Leafs on the board most of the night and/or forced them to take perimeter shots.

Despite the difference in shots, Dobes only saved one goal above expected (xGF/xGA score is 3-1 for the Leafs).
That's actually surprising to see. Visually I thought he saved atleast a couple of sure goals.

Reactions: Andrei79

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
The Flyers roster was much weaker than tonight's Leafs roster. The Leafs will probably have a weak roster for Saturday’s game. Then the competition should increase with the cuts coming over the next few days
I actually liked his game tonight. I like that he's responsible defensively but when we get the puck he's not shy to just go all out on offense. Not easy tonight against a good leafs squad but I still think he had his moments.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Our right side of defense is our biggest weakness. We’ll need to shore that up. Normal to have weaknesses when rebuilding. So if we need to spend assets or money in UFA, RD makes sense to spend for.

Our team played a good game. I love the culture of the team game; balls to the wall, make mistakes but come back to correct them and onward. Dobes is getting there, feels like an NHL goalie.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
That's actually surprising to see. Visually I thought he saved atleast a couple of sure goals.
They aren't all considered "sure" goals when it comes to the stats.

At 5v5, the high danger chances are 5 for the Leafs and 4 for the Habs and Habs had below 40% possession for 2/3 of the game. Leafs were more dangerous on the PP and the 1st PK. :laugh:

Leafs are still a skilled perimeter team... ;)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I've been waiting patiently for Kidney to show me something. I hate giving up on young players. But he seems to be falling further and further down the depth chart.
He showed flashes of the offensive talent that racked up all those points in the Q in Laval but those were few and far between.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Our right side of defense is our biggest weakness. We’ll need to shore that up. Normal to have weaknesses when rebuilding. So if we need to spend assets or money in UFA, RD makes sense to spend for.

Our team played a good game. I love the culture of the team game; balls to the wall, make mistakes but come back to correct them and onward. Dobes is getting there, feels like an NHL goalie.

It would need to be short term or else we'll be blocking Reinbacher and Mailloux.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

At 5v5, the high danger chances are 5 for the Leafs and 4 for the Habs and Habs had below 40% possession for 2/3 of the game. Leafs were more dangerous on the PP and the 1st PK. :laugh:

I think Newhook hit the crossbar in the first Roy hit the outside of the post and Hutson also hit a post.
But still mostly one and done chances.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It would need to be short term or else we'll be blocking Reinbacher and Mailloux.
I have some free time. ;)

Personally I'd like to see both of them spend most if not all of this year in Laval. So yes, adding someone with 1 or 2 years left on their contract would be ideal.

lol thank you, and they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I was rooting for Beck and Kapanen, but Dvorak outplayed them.
Absolutely. Both Beck and Kapanen looked great their first pre-season game, but that was mostly against AHL players. Tonight Dvorak showed that he already knows how to play against a good NHL team. Beck and Kapanen will get there, but if St Louis and management want a good start to this season they aren’t replacing Dvorak just yet.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Garbage is too strong.

He is World Champ like Monty & Gally.
Nope, thats the proper wording, he stinks with and without the puck, he just processes the game really poorly and you cant teach hockey IQ. I would rather have Mailloux on the team at that point, at least he can feed the puck more accurately, can play physical and has better offensive instincts.

Reactions: jrom and Andrei79

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Reaves was kind of quiet on the intimidation front despite Pezz Tuch Heineman and Struble all getting heavy licks in.
Maybe Arber didn't have a great game but he did serve a purpose.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Absolutely. Both Beck and Kapanen looked great their first pre-season game, but that was mostly against AHL players. Tonight Dvorak showed that he already knows how to play against a good NHL team. Beck and Kapanen will get there, but if St Louis and management want a good start to this season they aren’t replacing Dvorak just yet.
I thought Dvorak was bad. Didn't look any better than most of the rookies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I was surprised he was able to do as much as he did with ABB because Kidney did not win one battle out there at either end of the rink.

I've been waiting patiently for Kidney to show me something. I hate giving up on young players. But he seems to be falling further and further down the depth chart.
I think I saw 7 or 8 Laval games live last year, plus a few on TV, and preseason games...

I can confidently say I have seen NOTHING of Kidney that tells me he'll be an NHLer. Very unfortunate, but I have no faith in this case. He's not playing bad per se, but he has no high end tool, not even IQ.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad