GDT: Preseason game #2 Habs vs Devils 7PM ET RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
They should get their first real test on Thursday night. We beat Jersey and Philly's extras, but I'm willing to bet the Leafs will be playing a fairly complete roster Thursday night at home.

Reactions: Wats

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I can accept that, but I think they just have very different future ahead of them.

Reinbacher can play with a Hutson or a Matheson. Mailloux will need a Guhle.

Reinbacher is probably the perfect D to play with a guy like Matheson. He can be first on the puck & can make his own outlets. He would take a lot of defensive pressure off Matheson as a lot of our D throw the puck away trying to get it to him so he can outlet.

Reinbacher is really smooth.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
Good guy Allen
He really is. Went from being a good 1b/backup to being the starter on one of the worst teams in the league for several years. That's gotta be tough on a veteran goalie like him, especially with the 3 goalie rotation last year. But he kept his chin up, played the role of the vet to a T, and is now still being very gracious about it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Man the PP still stinks. I know it's preseason but PP1 was largely intact and should have feasted on the baby Devils. I do think Hutson will take Matheson's spot by end of November. The PP is just too predictable and Hutson is the kind of guy who can change that. Matheson would do just fine on PP2 with Dach and Laine.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Man the PP still stinks. I know it's preseason but PP1 was largely intact and should have feasted on the baby Devils. I do think Hutson will take Matheson's spot by end of November. The PP is just too predictable and Hutson is the kind of guy who can change that. Matheson would do just fine on PP2 with Dach and Laine.
End of November? More like the end of the second game of the season. And I think Laine will be on PP1.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
With Matheson on the PP we need to expect him to miss easy passes coming to him at the blue line, fumbling the puck and making turnovers at the blue line, wasting time and killing momentum. It comes with the package. It will happen regularly and all season. Does his excellent shot and scoring instinct compensate to justify him as #1 D over Hutson?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Pre-Season William Jennings Trophy Winners and Pezz will get the Pre-Season Rocket!!

Sloppier today and sorry I'll never get Armia on the PP even if it's Pre-Season

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
End of November? More like the end of the second game of the season. And I think Laine will be on PP1.

With Matheson on the PP we need to expect him to miss easy passes coming to him at the blue line, fumbling the puck and making turnovers at the blue line, wasting time and killing momentum. It comes with the package. It will happen regularly and all season. Does his excellent shot and scoring instinct compensate to justify him as #1 D over Hutson?

Matheson is a good player. I don't blame the PP all on him. The PP is just very static. Nobody moves unless they have the puck, at which point everyone else stops moving. That's not Matheson's fault. But I do think Hutson brings a different dynamic to the PP that will force people to move around more.

Reactions: StCaufield

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Again these game are pretty meaningless because there aren’t NHL caliber team and the NHLer aren’t going all out… But it good that there isn’t too much negativity.

Mailloux, Reinbacher showed some good stuff but they can go dominate in the AHL.
Mesar and Farrell did better than I expected we should have a young team in Laval.

Way too many Penalties… I think in preseason the should give the option to either take a penalty shot or take the PP…

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Tough to get a good look at anybody...just too many penalties. No rhythm to this meaningless game whatsoever. Anyways still liked Reinbacher, kid just needs reps and a year in Laval will be great. Love love Beck, does so many little things well. If it wasn't for all the bad contract we have he'd be starting the season with the big club. No harm playing in the ahl for him too, he'll just hone his skills even more and be that much better when he gets called up.

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022
We pulled off these two first preseason games in impressive fashion, not in the highlight reel sense but just seemed in control like something we're supposedly not. I won't put too much stock in it because of the rosters but you can literally smell the confidence in the air. We're in for an interesting season.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Reinbacher & Beck for me tonight……looking to the future? I gotta wear shades!
To this writer, Beck was the best player on the ice tonight as he showed excellent skating, strong board work, relentless pursuit of the puck, good offensive positioning/anticipation and an excellent release. Beck will quickly prove to all that he is no mere 4th line center.

Both Beck and Kapanen will force Hughes to make some hard roster decisions this year as both will prove that they can already play, and play well, at the NHL level.

As for Florian, after a tentative start, he started to come on and assert his presence on the ice with his strong play along the boards, his hand skills and playmaking. But for him to make the NHL Florian is going to have to improve his lateral skating ability as he is far too rigid. The penalty he took was as a result of this limitation in his skating ability. But Florian showed that he has the size and skill to impose his will on the flow of a game and while its highly probable that he will be sent to Laval for further development of his game, his eventual call up to the Canadiens is only a matter ot time.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not celebrating anything when the power play looks so putrid.

Yes, like EVERYONE, the top line was rusty but with our top line and Matheson yet we couldn't score on 8 PP on a barely AHL team.

If nothing else, Hutson is a lock to make it because he's going to improve the PP. Without it, we won't even get to the lofty heights of...mediocre.

Reactions: habsfan891

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To this writer, Beck was the best player on the ice tonight as he showed excellent skating, strong board work, relentless pursuit of the puck, good offensive positioning/anticipation and an excellent release. Beck will quickly prove to all that he is no mere 4th line center.

Both Beck and Kapanen will force Hughes to make some hard roster decisions this year as both will prove that they can already play, and play well, at the NHL level.

As for Florian, after a tentative start, he started to come on and assert his presence on the ice with his strong play along the boards, his hand skills and playmaking. But for him to make the NHL Florian is going to have to improve his lateral skating ability as he is far too rigid. The penalty he took was as a result of this limitation in his skating ability. But Florian showed that he has the size and skill to impose his will on the flow of a game and while its highly probable that he will be sent to Laval for further development of his game, his eventual call up to the Canadiens is only a matter ot time.
I love Ghally but I think it's time for him to fake a long term injury. As well as trade Dvorak.

Kapenen and Beck are better then those two and need to be on the team.

Let's face it, other the Demigod and Hage, we have seen almost all the players that we are hoping to contend with. Might as well make the tough decisions and get rid of the useless vets. Put the kids in, create a defensive system that everyone can get use to the push for the playoffs and beyond. If we need "several more first rounders" then we are the Buffalo Sabres.

And for the love of the Forum Ghost, get someone to teach us how to make an effective power play.

Reactions: Yep

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Haven't seen either of the games, which game had better PP? Of course no PP goals yet but puck handling, shots etc?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Haven't seen either of the games, which game had better PP? Of course no PP goals yet but puck handling, shots etc?
Hutson and Dach line. They look a bit discombobulated because it's the first time they play together but Hutson controlĺing showed more danger then yesterday's game.

Matheson is not a PP quarter back, Hutson will be. I rather have Hutson QB and Mailmans shot then Matheson and CC.

The most firepower we can muster would be Hutson, Mailman, Suzuki, Laine, Dach. CC is odd man out because Hutson or Laine occupy both of those positions he would normally be in. Suzuki on right side circle, Laine left circle and Dach in the slot.

With that much skill and firepower, we better start scoring or get ready to be the Buffalo Sabres.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad