Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 2: 9/24 - New York Islanders @ New York Rangers - 7pm ET , MSG

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I know, kind of a bummer. You really want to see a kid take a bull by the horns with the opportunity

Hopefully it will happen. He’s only 21. We thought the same with JT Miller and look what happened with him. Be patient. Im just upset that the Rangers dont have much young defensive depth. They dont have much young dman with potential outside of Mancini. That is awful depth. Tired of watching AHL scrubs like Harpur and Mackey in the lineup when injuries happen. Can the Rangers make a trade with Habs or Wild for example, or a team with young defensive depth? That is slight issue like RW depth throughout the organization, top 6 center depth, maybe Laba can surprise like Mancini has so far, maybe McConnell-Barker can have a good 1st pro year. I wonder if the Rangers will use Edstrom or Rempe at center at times this season? Their size would be useful to win some draws.

Did Panarin get hurt? Saw a headline "Panarin suffers potential 'season-altering' injury." Hoping it's clickbait.

Not sure what happened to Panarin but he did not finish the game. Maybe he twirled to avoid a check and hurt himself. It would not shock me if that actually happend

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
But now the question is if Kravtsov’s over you?
reminds me of SNL episode where they do "Winter Wonderland" and at the very end, graphic asks 'but does Santa believe in you?'
sadly, this item on youtube but not w/video!

Didn't watch a ton of the game because I was locked into that Mets fiasco. My main takeaways from what I saw were:

-Jones is tiny but has high upside with the puck on his stick. Zubov-lite to Fox' Leetch? We need another guy who can handle the puck and he's absolutely earned his spot by being patient.
-Edstrom/Rempe/whoever is a big problem for opposing teams. All the opposing defenders are looking for the life boats when the big fellas are on the forecheck. Love to see both guys getting PK minutes.
-Chytil is going to end up injured skating through the zone like he does. Very talented player, but it's inevitable sadly.
-Lindgren did what he does. Gets injured trying to play bigger than he is. Lavi needs to face facts that playing him with Fox is a detriment
-The top guys all looked the same. Which means they lollygagged and overpassed 5v5, played well on special teams, and had a furious late comeback to win. The coaching staff really needs to try some new combos because the same bad tendencies are there.
-Othmann aint close. Berard is.
-Doesnt matter if its preseason or the Stadium Series, we're in the Islanders heads
Jones is not tiny but he is at minimum of acceptable short scale
glad to see improvement, but he is not high end
He has decent upside re skill. He will never be a clear the crease guy which may/may not be important based on who his partner is.
Could be a W somewhere who is also emergency depth D
Maybe a stop gap here, but if Mancini has chem w/Robertson, then open to first Scanlin + skating improved Harpur while we wait for Fortescue

Lindy needs to go now while he still has value

Othmann needs work including some maturity, stop arrogant posturing taking penalties like there is no consequence

Berard is overrated. He IS tiny at 5'9 and has to be Marty St. Louis to stick. Deal now get something before there is no value

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Was Rempe actually any good or is this just his usual tire pumpers just overlooking hockey things?
Rempe played hockey last night instead of chasing somebody down on a forecheck all game and trying to get a hit in. He didn't flee the zone and was positioning trying to break up plays. Edstrom was better but Edstrom is also more polished.

Berard is overrated. He IS tiny at 5'9 and has to be Marty St. Louis to stick. Deal now get something before there is no value
I've got some bad news for you.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Jones is not tiny but he is at minimum of acceptable short scale
glad to see improvement, but he is not high end
He has decent upside re skill. He will never be a clear the crease guy which may/may not be important based on who his partner is.
So many "buts" people have with Jones. He might be our 3rd or 4th best defenseman. Last year the team looked better with him on it. We should play him. Then we will know.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Didn't watch a ton of the game because I was locked into that Mets fiasco. My main takeaways from what I saw were:

-Jones is tiny but has high upside with the puck on his stick. Zubov-lite to Fox' Leetch? We need another guy who can handle the puck and he's absolutely earned his spot by being patient.
-Edstrom/Rempe/whoever is a big problem for opposing teams. All the opposing defenders are looking for the life boats when the big fellas are on the forecheck. Love to see both guys getting PK minutes.
-Chytil is going to end up injured skating through the zone like he does. Very talented player, but it's inevitable sadly.
-Lindgren did what he does. Gets injured trying to play bigger than he is. Lavi needs to face facts that playing him with Fox is a detriment
-The top guys all looked the same. Which means they lollygagged and overpassed 5v5, played well on special teams, and had a furious late comeback to win. The coaching staff really needs to try some new combos because the same bad tendencies are there.
-Othmann aint close. Berard is.
-Doesnt matter if its preseason or the Stadium Series, we're in the Islanders heads
Rempe and Ed did PK last night and looked fine. (Not sure if you were saying you would love to see them get time, or you loved seeing them get time.)
If Mayfield hadn't led with his knee, Fil would have been fine. Doesn't much change your point though. The upside is Fil doesn't look any more prone to concussions than any other player, unlike on that Fast hit. He may have actually improved the strength in his neck and jaw that helps prevent it.
Othmann and Berard look about on the same level. With Othmann being a draft year behind him. Othmann was actually more noticeable with his physical play. If either or both of them get some NHL time this year I will not be upset.
Oh. we are DEFINITELY in the Isles' heads...

Reactions: McRanger92

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't know about Jones being our 4th best defenseman but it should be pretty obvious at this point that he's miles away better as a LD option than anyone else we currently have competing for the spot (Esp Robertson), and if Jones continues to grow and excel I'd think that Lavi wouldn't be afriad to promote his minutes over Lindgren if it becomes earned.

The biggest thing for me with his use is

1) Continue to split him wide with Fox for O zone draws with our top 2 lines. Jones is at his best when te team is already set up in the O zone.
2) He should be THE GUY on pp2. No one else.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm officially over Kravtsov

200w.gif

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Well sorry but you didn't say that and I'm not a mind reader when it comes to something left unsaid. But saying there was no one remotely capable of running a power play isn't right because Gustafsson's been doing that with varying degrees of success for a long time and he played 76 of 82 regular season games for us last year. When Fox was out for 10 games the Rangers power play kept on clicking with Erik becoming the #1 option.

Erik is not in his way this year and if Zac's defense holds up he should get a lot more playing Tim this season.

On your obsession with Trouba OTOH.....well Jacob is overpaid for what he brings and we pretty much found out post playoffs that he never really got over his ankle injury. He was playing hurt--Fox's knee was wobbly pretty much from early on in the playoffs and Lindgren was playing with cracked ribs or something like that. That Jacob makes too much money or plays a bunch of games with an injury is not his fault. That the coaches continued to play with the three injured defensemen throughout the playoffs is not on the players. Not just you but when reading any number of people venting their frustrations about a particular player I don't look at it as analysis but as frustration more than anything else.

For now I think Jacob is going to be around this year but it wouldn't surprise me if Mancini begins moving him out. I can't see us keeping Igor and Jacob both next year so I would say it's a pretty reasonable guess that Jacob gets moved over the summer.
I thought it was obvious that i was referring to the games where Fox or Gus were out of the lineup. I’m not one of the Gustafsson sucked neanderthals, that guy is awesome

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
That Jacob makes too much money or plays a bunch of games with an injury is not his fault. That the coaches continued to play with the three injured defensemen throughout the playoffs is not on the players. Not just you but when reading any number of people venting their frustrations about a particular player I don't look at it as analysis but as frustration more than anything else.
When did I say any of this shit??

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Panarin has had lower body injuries the last two preseasons at least.

Probably wants a few days off.
He's been having lower body injuries now for the last 3-4 years and even with his world class play, you can see it has slowed him down on the hustle.

Holy smoked
At least a few weeks does not sound very good.

Well, maybe it does for the team... But if it's shoulder, again, you gotta' start wondering if they're wired together at this point.

Reactions: will1066

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad