Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game 2: 9/24 - New York Islanders @ New York Rangers - 7pm ET , MSG

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
The guy who kept Jones from being a regular in our lineup last year was Erik Gustafsson and without looking I'd guess he got more power play time than Trouba did. Erik has been something of a point producer and second option power play with two or three teams in his NHL career.
I was mainly referring to the month where Fox was out and Trouba was on for pp2 over Jones. There were definitely a few games late in the season too where Gus was concussed and Jones still couldn’t draw onto the second unit.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I had really hoped with the attempt to trade Trouba he would have come to camp with quicker feet, he looks the same. The good thing is they seem to be willing to go with Jones and him together.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Kreider - Zibanejad - Smith
Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko
Edstrom - Carrick - Rempe

Miller - Fox
Jones - Trouba
Lindgren - Schneider

Shesterkin
Quick

IMG_1168.jpeg

Damn, Ed. Yes!

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Didn't watch a ton of the game because I was locked into that Mets fiasco. My main takeaways from what I saw were:

-Jones is tiny but has high upside with the puck on his stick. Zubov-lite to Fox' Leetch? We need another guy who can handle the puck and he's absolutely earned his spot by being patient.
-Edstrom/Rempe/whoever is a big problem for opposing teams. All the opposing defenders are looking for the life boats when the big fellas are on the forecheck. Love to see both guys getting PK minutes.
-Chytil is going to end up injured skating through the zone like he does. Very talented player, but it's inevitable sadly.
-Lindgren did what he does. Gets injured trying to play bigger than he is. Lavi needs to face facts that playing him with Fox is a detriment
-The top guys all looked the same. Which means they lollygagged and overpassed 5v5, played well on special teams, and had a furious late comeback to win. The coaching staff really needs to try some new combos because the same bad tendencies are there.
-Othmann aint close. Berard is.
-Doesnt matter if its preseason or the Stadium Series, we're in the Islanders heads

Reactions: Kords

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I was mainly referring to the month where Fox was out and Trouba was on for pp2 over Jones. There were definitely a few games late in the season too where Gus was concussed and Jones still couldn’t draw onto the second unit.

Well sorry but you didn't say that and I'm not a mind reader when it comes to something left unsaid. But saying there was no one remotely capable of running a power play isn't right because Gustafsson's been doing that with varying degrees of success for a long time and he played 76 of 82 regular season games for us last year. When Fox was out for 10 games the Rangers power play kept on clicking with Erik becoming the #1 option.

Erik is not in his way this year and if Zac's defense holds up he should get a lot more playing Tim this season.

On your obsession with Trouba OTOH.....well Jacob is overpaid for what he brings and we pretty much found out post playoffs that he never really got over his ankle injury. He was playing hurt--Fox's knee was wobbly pretty much from early on in the playoffs and Lindgren was playing with cracked ribs or something like that. That Jacob makes too much money or plays a bunch of games with an injury is not his fault. That the coaches continued to play with the three injured defensemen throughout the playoffs is not on the players. Not just you but when reading any number of people venting their frustrations about a particular player I don't look at it as analysis but as frustration more than anything else.

For now I think Jacob is going to be around this year but it wouldn't surprise me if Mancini begins moving him out. I can't see us keeping Igor and Jacob both next year so I would say it's a pretty reasonable guess that Jacob gets moved over the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad