Premier League 2017-2018

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Praying Spurs won't be sold to someone from Qatar, Russia etc. I know most fans disagree, but the most enjoyable part of being a Spurs-fan the last 20 years have been seeing the club develop step by step without any financial "doping" (of course Sugar might have saved the club from going bankrupt at one point). Becoming a new City in London would kill some of the fun of being a fan for me. Instead of hoping for players to develop you just end up hoping someone will throw away more money than the others on some fancy name. So utterly pointless and so removed from what sports are about.

I'm with you there.

Just found this on Reddit, take it for what you like:

I know more than I should about this situation... The sale has been agreed and has been for nearly a year, it will be announced once we move in. The sale will be split into 2 transactions, club and stadium. Levy will remain as chairman, on a wage. With no invested cash in the club, maybe he'll be more willing to loosen the purse strings... New owners are likely to see us as a vanity project, it won't be to City/PSG standards by any stretch but the financial constraints we face now won't be as relevant.

For this summer, we're having to balance protection of valuable assets with not vastly increasing the monthly outgoings of the club. The buyers won't look too kindly on the outgoings on wages being double what they were when the deal was reached. Some fluctuation is accepted, especially with consistent league finishes...

Any quote of a source to this?

A major commercial property trader in London, he has no interest in football but got the information from source as he thought I'd be interested... He knows because of the stadium transaction.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've been saying this a while now and it could be tied to new ownership. IF the NFL wants to expand to London, it will be to play in Spurs new stadium. And I don't know if the NFL would allow one of their teams to be owned by a principality or oligarch.

....although that could get the NFL into the Russian or Middle Eastern market. :)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/11/t...mmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Tottenham Wants to Be the NFL’s Premier League Team

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
I guess its time for the first GWT of the season.

May also be time to revisit ArsenalFanTV if Leicester can make something happen tonight.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
As a Spurs-fan I can't say we got many good songs (if any at the moment), but "Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea"? Is that all?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So I was thinking about what the firing conditions for each manager of the top 6 would be.

- Conte seems pretty secure, you'd have to think anything except an absolute implosion and he'd keep the job.
- Pochettino also seems pretty secure, you'd have to think everything except fighting relegation and he'll keep his job.
- Klopp is likely secure for all but a tire fire season as well, just because he hasn't been given much in terms of transfers.
- Wenger is probably gone if he misses the top 4.
- Mourinho should be gone if he doesn't make the top 4, and honestly will likely face heat if he's just struggling to get top 4 and exits early in the CL.
- I have to figure if Pep doesn't make a run at either the league or the CL he'll face a lot of heat as well, or maybe he'll just come back and spend another quarter billion.

Everyone think that's about right?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Both Manchester clubs look poised for an early lead with Chelsea right behind them. I wasn't impressed by either Tottenham or Liverpool. Both still have the same holes they did last season. Arsenal looks reinvigorated though and Leicester should fight for a Europa league position.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Both Manchester clubs look poised for an early lead with Chelsea right behind them. I wasn't impressed by either Tottenham or Liverpool. Both still have the same holes they did last season. Arsenal looks reinvigorated though and Leicester should fight for a Europa league position.

What holes would that be?

Thought Arsenal looked the weakest among the "top teams". Of course the missed a couple of key players defensively, but they regardless got a long way before that back 3 works for them.

Not that the first match matters a lot. All about getting the points. If anything history shows you shouldn´t play too well early on (ask Pep).

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
What holes would that be?

Thought Arsenal looked the weakest among the "top teams". Of course the missed a couple of key players defensively, but they regardless got a long way before that back 3 works for them.

Not that the first match matters a lot. All about getting the points. If anything history shows you shouldn´t play too well early on (ask Pep).

Liverpool's back line and goal situation is still a big question mark.
Tottenham are going to be hard pressed to fill out that depth yet again (no additions to the squad/transfers)

Arsenal look more composed as a team; and like you said that back three will not be there go to for big matches. Mustafi and Koscielny are better than anything Liverpool have for example.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Tottenham are going to be hard pressed to fill out that depth yet again (no additions to the squad/transfers)

Arsenal look more composed as a team; and like you said that back three will not be there go to for big matches. Mustafi and Koscielny are better than anything Liverpool have for example.

I find Spurs depth issues largely overstated apart from at CB (which we are trying to bolster).

Matip > Mustafi too.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I find Spurs depth issues largely overstated apart from at CB (which we are trying to bolster).
I agree even tho the performance from this past weekend was a bit lacking
I think that "spurs need to add more depth" has been parroted so often that's it's taken as gospel...

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Matip > Mustafi too.

How can it be overstated when they couldn't do a thing in the CL last season in a somewhat easy group with pretty much the same squad as they have now.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Liverpool brought in a new LB and they are clearly trying to find a new CD. If they can´t find a new CD I agree they are exposed in that area.

Yet again? The finished the season extremely strong. Last year they lost most of their points early on. Had nothing to do with lack of depth.

There is a piece missing in defence as Wimmer doesn´t seem like he is good enough, but apart from that I don´t really see the depth issue.

GK: Lloris, Vorm. Fine. Need a 3rd, but that one can easily find.
RB: Trippier, Walker-Peters, (Dier)
LB: Rose, Davies, (Vertonghen)
CD: Alderweireld, Vertonghen, CCV, Wimmer
CM: Dembele, Dier, Wanyama, Winks, (Eriksen), (Alli)
AM/W: Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lamela, Sissoko, N´Koudou and Edwards
F: Kane, Janssen, (Son)

Looks fairly balanced to me. A new CD means Dier doesn´t have to play as a CD when Pochettino wants to go 3-4-3. It also means Spurs are less exposed in midfield. Replace Sissoko with a football player and that team is all set.

There are question marks around players like Walker-Peters, CCV, Wimmer, Winks (even if he was very very good last year), N´Koudou, Edwards and Janssen. But just because they aren´t named Nolito doesn´t mean they can´t be solid depth. Not that many years ago Kane, Walker, Rose, Dier, Alli etc. weren´t considered solid depth either (even among many Spursfans - let alone others). I´m not saying it couldn´t be better, but it isn´t necessarily that bad.

I´m not an expert on City depth so I might have missed someone, but of the more established players:

GK: Ederson, Bravo.
RB: Walker, Danilo
LB: Mendy, Danilo I guess?
CD: Kompany, Stones, Otamendi, Denayer, Mangala
CM: Silva, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Toure, Delph
AM/W: De Bruyne, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo Silva and maybe Nasri still counts
F: Aguero, Jesus

In terms of numbers City doesn´t really have that many more options. Now Jesus is obviously far superior to Janssen, but apart from that I don´t even see that big of a difference in quality in depth. Whoever is 4th choice as a CM is most likely better than Winks, but Winks is much better than most non-Spursfans think.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Liverpool brought in a new LB and they are clearly trying to find a new CD. If they can´t find a new CD I agree they are exposed in that area.

Yet again? The finished the season extremely strong. Last year they lost most of their points early on. Had nothing to do with lack of depth.

There is a piece missing in defence as Wimmer doesn´t seem like he is good enough, but apart from that I don´t really see the depth issue.

GK: Lloris, Vorm. Fine. Need a 3rd, but that one can easily find.
RB: Trippier, Walker-Peters, (Dier)
LB: Rose, Davies, (Vertonghen)
CD: Alderweireld, Vertonghen, CCV, Wimmer
CM: Dembele, Dier, Wanyama, Winks, (Eriksen), (Alli)
AM/W: Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lamela, Sissoko, N´Koudou and Edwards
F: Kane, Janssen, (Son)

Looks fairly balanced to me. A new CD means Dier doesn´t have to play as a CD when Pochettino wants to go 3-4-3. It also means Spurs are less exposed in midfield. Replace Sissoko with a football player and that team is all set.

There are question marks around players like Walker-Peters, CCV, Wimmer, Winks (even if he was very very good last year), N´Koudou, Edwards and Janssen. But just because they aren´t named Nolito doesn´t mean they can´t be solid depth. Not that many years ago Kane, Walker, Rose, Dier, Alli etc. weren´t considered solid depth either (even among many Spursfans - let alone others). I´m not saying it couldn´t be better, but it isn´t necessarily that bad.

I´m not an expert on City depth so I might have missed someone, but of the more established players:

GK: Ederson, Bravo.
RB: Walker, Danilo
LB: Mendy, Danilo I guess?
CD: Kompany, Stones, Otamendi, Denayer, Mangala
CM: Silva, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Toure, Delph
AM/W: De Bruyne, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo Silva and maybe Nasri still counts
F: Aguero, Jesus

In terms of numbers City doesn´t really have that many more options. Now Jesus is obviously far superior to Janssen, but apart from that I don´t even see that big of a difference in quality in depth. Whoever is 4th choice as a CM is most likely better than Winks, but Winks is much better than most non-Spursfans think.

The only area where I see the Spurs having an advantage is in goal. Every other position, I'd rate City as the better side. Granted the difference between both teams' top players aren't that far off. The difference lies in stretching that depth for both league and CL games. Spurs won't line up a better team for the most part unless their young players get drastically better. I guess it lies on hoe Poch mixes and matches the team against weaker competition.

As far as Liverpool, they still have Moreno in their starting-11....
Lovren has been a letdown, and I doubt he magically gets better
Matip is the only respectable D they currently have.
Getting VVD would do wonders for Liverpool, but even then I'm not entirely sold on Can and Henderson in the middle. Wijnaldum is a wild card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad