Premier League 2017-2018

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The only area where I see the Spurs having an advantage is in goal. Every other position, I'd rate City as the better side. Granted the difference between both teams' top players aren't that far off. The difference lies in stretching that depth for both league and CL games. Spurs won't line up a better team for the most part unless their young players get drastically better. I guess it lies on hoe Poch mixes and matches the team against weaker competition.

Spurs' starting CBs are undoubtedly better.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
City has better fullbacks, wingers and attack mids. They are also deeper.

City has more depth at striker, but Kane is best until GJ takes it from him. Spurs better in CM, CB and obviously in goal, until Ederson proves otherwise.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I love de Bruyne. Potentially the best player in the league, but based on the last 6-7 months I wouldn´t swap Eriksen for him. We´ll see of course if Eriksen can stay consistent this time - historically he has had spells, but he has never been able to be consistently at his best. Alli is just as effective as any of the other AM/wingers at City. And Son matches whoever you have as a third ranked player - even if both Sane and Bernardo Silva got great potential.

I don´t see a big difference among the AM/wingers. Could go either way who proves to be the best during the season.

City is a rather poor team considering the money spent, but they now at least got some potential in the team. de Bruyne, Sane, Jesus, Stones etc. at least got some potential to improve - so that they one day might be as good of a team as they should have been years ago. And finally it looks like they got a fairly balanced squad. Amazing it has taken so long.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What part of it you disagree with Evilo?

Not exactly a given that Silva will succeed in the PL (I know he has played in France so he is by default a world class player I guess). Sane is at the moment mostly potential. Son is at the moment more proven in the PL. Could very well be that both Silva and Sane become more effective players in the PL with time, but I don't think that is obvious right now for the 17/18 season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What part of it you disagree with Evilo?

Not exactly a given that Silva will succeed in the PL (I know he has played in France so he is by default a world class player I guess). Sane is at the moment mostly potential. Son is at the moment more proven in the PL. Could very well be that both Silva and Sane become more effective players in the PL with time, but I don't think that is obvious right now for the 17/18 season.

B. Silva is actually not far from world class. His tired stretches have prevented him so far from reaching that status, but when he's not fatigued, he completely is WC.

Of course, the "France" card is rather funny. Like for instance how Silva has dominated Tottenham in the two CL games they've had last year. Not Son, Silva. The difference in class was massive.
I'd say Sane had a much better CL as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
City's indeed better everywhere except in goals and CBs, which does make a lot of difference however.
And besides, paper teams have never won anything except debates on HFboards. The way those players will play and perform together will decide who's better.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I didn't intend to start a "big" discussion on the differences between those 3 players. Son scored 14 goals in 2070 minutes last year. I couldn't believe how well he played after that crap first season.

Goals/assists per minutes played he outperformed de Bruyne, Hazard, Coutinho, Mane etc. Only Sanchez did better than him among the AM/wingers.

Not saying that is a perfect stat as I consider both Eriksen and Alli better players (with fewer goals/assists per minutes played), but Son has become a very very good player.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No doubt and his speed quite often made him a very dangerous weapon.
Still Sane's speed is quite an asset as well (better dribbler too) and B. Silva's Messi light style is sometimes unstoppable. Of course, there's always a chance he doesn't perform all that well in England. He would have probably fit better in Spain, but eve then that doesn't make him a lesser player. I think his talent and CL performances alone prove he's a superior player.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
B. Silva is actually not far from world class. His tired stretches have prevented him so far from reaching that status, but when he's not fatigued, he completely is WC.

Of course, the "France" card is rather funny. Like for instance how Silva has dominated Tottenham in the two CL games they've had last year. Not Son, Silva. The difference in class was massive.
I'd say Sane had a much better CL as well.

Haha. I was at Wembley. Yeah. Silva dominated that game. I would question if you even saw it.

I don't mind Silva. I think he was sensational for a spell last year and if he can replicate that he is better than Son. But that is not a given.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Haha, I would question if you even know where Wembley is if you can't remember how he did.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just FYI, in the first game, Silva scored (solo effort against 4 defensemen) and had the secondary assist on Lemar's, in the second game, he created both Monaco's goals.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Apparently, L'Equipe didn't see the game either :
https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Article/Les-notes-de-tottenham-monaco/727408

Impressionnant en première période, Monaco a souffert par la suite mais remporte une victoire importante et logique qui confirme son excellent début de saison. Bernardo Silva par son but et sa qualité technique a été l'homme du match.
MOTM :
Bernardo Silva si précieux 8

Il a tout changé, en première période, grâce à son rush conclu par une frappe limpide du pied gauche (1-0, 15e). Après avoir réalisé un gros travail côté gauche, il a en plus trouvé d'une subtile talonnade Sidibé, à l'origine du second but (31e). Ensuite, comme Lemar, le milieu de terrain monégasque a un peu disparu après la pause, avant de revenir fort.

Mind you, he was also MOTM for Monaco journalists :
http://www.monacomatin.mc/football/...ernardo-silva-linsolent-au-visage-dange-78085

As well as for Hommedumatch :
http://www.hommedumatch.fr/groupe-e-1ere-j-notes-de-tottenham-monaco-1-2_140856

Son is the worst rated player in every account of this match too. :sarcasm:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Just FYI, in the first game, Silva scored (solo effort against 4 defensemen) and had the secondary assist on Lemar's, in the second game, he created both Monaco's goals.

Against 4 defenders? Surprised you didn't count the RB as well. Nice goal. Doesn't mean he dominated the game.

Secondary assist to a cross? If I didn't know better I would have thought we were talking about Maradona.

Monaco scored twice early. Hardly had possession after. Silva tidy, but you claimed he dominated Spurs in two games which is just untrue. I never mentioned the second game. Neither did I mention Son's play. So what is your point? Evilos straw men again. Nice bunch of guys.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Straw men?
You said the guy hardly dominated while he was responsible for 4 goals (ouf ot 4) in the two games AND HE WAS THE BEST RATED PLAYED IN THE FIRST GAME ACCORDING TO THREE DIFFERENT SOURCES.

Yet I'm the straw men here? THREE different sources.

And yes, there were 4 defensemen around Silva when he scored. Hoped you could count up to 4. But since you pay a hefty price to go to a game you couldn't even follow, I'm not surprised.
I would question you even went to Wembley.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Straw men?
You said the guy hardly dominated while he was responsible for 4 goals (ouf ot 4) in the two games AND HE WAS THE BEST RATED PLAYED IN THE FIRST GAME ACCORDING TO THREE DIFFERENT SOURCES.

Yet I'm the straw men here? THREE different sources.

And yes, there were 4 defensemen around Silva when he scored. Hoped you could count up to 4. But since you pay a hefty price to go to a game you couldn't even follow, I'm not surprised.
I would question you even went to Wembley.

See you are doing it again. I didn't comment on the second game so why are you bringing it up? You can read my comments on the same page we are now discussing - not a single word about the second game.

You clearly don't know what a straw man is. So if your argument is so strong in itself why bring in factors (aka straw men) that I haven't used in my argumentation?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You said he didn't dominate in the first game (remember : you questionned I even saw the game).
Three different independant sources say he was MOTM.

So again, may I ask, where you even at the game? Or maybe you need to consider you were sleeping.
If neither option is true, then you are left with no other choice : admit you were completely wrong and that he dominated Spurs at Wembley, in front of your very eyes.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Let’s see how a dominate performance looks in the eyes of Evilo.

30 passes. Success rate of 83%

http://imgur.com/a/FWHP4

Of those 30 passes 14 were going backwards.

He had 8 successful passes passing the ball forwards. Not a single one in a central area or moving to a central area.

http://imgur.com/a/FWHP4

If that is him dominating I feel sorry for City. And if that is an example of him dominating he certainly isn't better than Son.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh, OK
You give 3 stats and that contredicts me, L'Equipe journalists, Hommedumatch journalists and Monacodumatin journalists who actually saw the game?

Now I see why your talent evaluation is off. :biglaugh:

Clearly, you can't admit you're completely wrong. Good job !

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Doesn't really bother me much being accused of not knowing football from a guy who suggests Özil should play as a CM in a 3-4-3.

And if you think newspaper ratings is a good way of evaluating players then that says more about you then me. And if you think those 25 passes are enough to consider a performance dominant that is fine. You could have just said that in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad