Preferred build of a top 6 - Based off their Cap-hit

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Top 6 build based on players Cap-hit

• $13 mil - $12 mil - $11 mil - $3 mil - $3 mil - $3 mil

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • 6 players all making $7.5 mil

Votes: 59 55.7%

• Total voters

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
If the first team’s players are living up to those deals, there’s zero reason to play them on the top line together. Likely two play on line one and one runs line two. That would still give you a much better first line than team two and probably not much worse of a second line than team two. The reality is that stars are more valuable than non-stars and the current salary cap allocations have stars players underpaid relative to mid-level players. The 13 million types like MacKinnon/McDavid/Matthews are usually worth more than twice as much as the average 7.5 million dolllar player. Also, as mentioned previously, the high dollar players would be more valuable for the PP.

Also, people keep bringing up the Leafs but that’s a bad comparison because A) Tavares hasn’t been close to living up to his contract since his first season with the Leafs and B) Matthews and Marner haven’t been living up to their deals in the playoffs regularly.

This is easily the first team and I think people are too focused on Leafs and the fact that a lot of players are playing over their smaller deals currently. But a 7.5 million deal is getting someone like Elias Lindholm in today’s market. You’re not going anywhere with those guys as your best players.
I like your point. It is true that on the open market, the going rate of 7.5M lands a guy like Elias Lindholm, and that doesn't really move the needle. So if OP's point is not to personalize this, we have to go with this assumption and then you easily pick the star ladden team (which could seem like the Leafs, but also like the Oilers who were just in the Cup finals a few weeks ago).

However, OP is a Habs super fan, one that posts a lot on the main boards with obvious Habs bias. The kind of poster that makes us all look bad. Knowing that, and knowing that the Habs internal cap is set around Suzuki at a little under 8 and that Caufield and Slaf accepted deals below that internal cap, it is not a stretch to figure out that he sees model 2 as the Habs franchise.

It is also not a stretch to imagine his super wide smile when he can get any neutral fan to vote for model 2, unknowingly feeding the beast.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
That’s OP’s job to answer that for you or any other questions like that @waitin425
Wait.....when I post a thread, I have to field questions? I though my job was to ask the question.....how would you like your team to be built? If you want to inform your answer through research, be my guest!

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Too many variables, do the top paid players perform or are they playing like Huberdeau in Calgary?

What’s the composition of players? Are they all offence only? Are the lower paid but equal players all good two way players?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Too many variables, do the top paid players perform or are they playing like Huberdeau in Calgary?

What’s the composition of players? Are they all offence only? Are the lower paid but equal players all good two way players?
They are assumed to play in line with their cap hit....not above and not below.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe but bruins and kings did pretty well in the 2010’s under the spreading the wealth model
The Kings, sure.

The Bruins won it once because Thomas went ape shit and otherwise have been the most disappointing playoff performer of the 21st century. Not having a bit more gamebreaking talent may have been a factor there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Second one, having essentially two first lines of moderate quality is better than just one awesome line.
Depends how you set your lineup. With the first option, does it automatically mean the top line is the three $11+ million players and the second line is the three $3 million players? Or can you mix and match?

Pittsburgh won 3 Cups by "mixing and matching". And they didn't have the benefit of a third $11+ million player.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The Kings, sure.

The Bruins won it once because Thomas went ape shit and otherwise have been the most disappointing playoff performer of the 21st century. Not having a bit more gamebreaking talent may have been a factor there.

They went to three Stanley cups in the 2010s and won 1 and lost 2.

There’s a whole collection of teams with game breaking talent who didn’t sniff that like Toronto and edmonton.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Maybe but bruins and kings did pretty well in the 2010’s under the spreading the wealth model
Only because their defenses and goaltending were elite. Plus, 2012 Kopitar is comfortably a $10M player in this day and age.

Very comfortably I would take the star forward model. Hell, Florida, Tampa, and Colorado all recently won with basically three or four great forwards and some depth.

Obviously, the ideal model would be something like 2x $12M players, 2x $7M players, and 2x $3M players.

Reactions: Machinehead

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Only because their defenses and goaltending were elite. Plus, 2012 Kopitar is comfortably a $10M player in this day and age.

Very comfortably I would take the star forward model. Hell, Florida, Tampa, and Colorado all recently won with basically three or four great forwards and some depth.

Obviously, the ideal model would be something like 2x $12M players, 2x $7M players, and 2x $3M players.

Ok well same could he said about Marchand/bergeron but they took less to stay with the bruins so the bruins could have a better team

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg

Ideal model is having two 9,5-10M$ forward playing as a 12M$ forwards, two 4-6,5M$ forwards playing as a 9+M$ forwards, and two 3-4,5M$ forwards playing as a 5-6M$ forwards, with all of them performing well in playoffs.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Ok well same could he said about Marchand/bergeron but they took less to stay with the bruins so the bruins could have a better team
Marchand and Bergeron were not $10M players in 2010. Kopitar was in 2012. Point went way over your head...

Ideal model is having two 9,5-10M$ forward playing as a 12M$ forwards, two 4-6,5M$ forwards playing as a 9+M$ forwards, and two 3-4,5M$ forwards playing as a 5-6M$ forwards, with all of them performing well in playoffs.
The ideal model is having twelve $1M forwards who all play like $12M forwards, if you want to get absurd. :rolleyes:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They went to three Stanley cups in the 2010s and won 1 and lost 2.

There’s a whole collection of teams with game breaking talent who didn’t sniff that like Toronto and edmonton.
Are we talking current salary or salary at the time? Of course if you look at 2010 salaries you won't find teams with 3 guys making $11+ million. I think Ovi was probably the highest paid back then at just over $10 million.

If we're using today's salaries, which players do you take to fill out the 6 spots on the $7.5 million squad? I'd easily take McDavid, MacKinnon, and Matthews plus 3 cheap guys to play with them over a bunch of Vincent Trocheks and Jonathan Marchessaults.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Marchand and Bergeron were not $10M players in 2010. Kopitar was in 2012. Point went way over your head...

No it’s not way over my head at all you just are clueless if you think kopitar was that much more valuable in the 2010s decades than bergeron and marchand more so late 2010s for Marchand

Are we talking current salary or salary at the time? Of course if you look at 2010 salaries you won't find teams with 3 guys making $11+ million. I think Ovi was probably the highest paid back then at just over $10 million.

If we're using today's salaries, which players do you take to fill out the 6 spots on the $7.5 million squad? I'd easily take McDavid, MacKinnon, and Matthews plus 3 cheap guys to play with them over a bunch of Vincent Trocheks and Jonathan Marchessaults.

Well marchands/bergys mid 6s would compare to roughly mid to high 7s now when bergy signed in 2014 and Marchand signed for low 6s in 2016

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No it’s not way over my head at all you just are clueless if you think kopitar was that much more valuable in the 2010s decades than bergeron and marchand more so late 2010s for Marchand

Well marchands/bergys mid 6s would compare to roughly mid to high 7s now when bergy signed in 2014 and Marchand signed for low 6s in 2016
Read my post instead of making things up. "In the 2010's" is extremely different than "in 2010". In 2011 when the Bruins won the Cup, Brad Marchand scored 41 points and Patrice Bergeron scored 57 points. If you think either of those players were $10M valuable in 2011, when the Bruins won the Stanley Cup, get help.

Marchand and Bergeron certainly have taken discounts on their contracts since then, but the Bruins haven't gotten close to another Cup in that time, so it's not relevant to the point. Stop making up stuff just so you can get mad about it.

Reactions: byrath

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Read my post instead of making things up. "In the 2010's" is extremely different than "in 2010". In 2011 when the Bruins won the Cup, Brad Marchand scored 41 points and Patrice Bergeron scored 57 points. If you think either of those players were $10M valuable in 2011, when the Bruins won the Stanley Cup, get help.

Marchand and Bergeron certainly have taken discounts on their contracts since then, but the Bruins haven't gotten close to another Cup in that time, so it's not relevant to the point. Stop making up stuff just so you can get mad about it.

You interjected into my conversation where I was talking about them in the 2010s

Why the hell do I care if you come in and try to change the convo and pinpoint one year that doesn’t matter to the convo?

Don’t tell me to go back and read your post. You read my post

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You interjected into my conversation where I was talking about them in the 2010s

Why the hell do I care if you come in and try to change the convo and pinpoint one year that doesn’t matter to the convo?
So to be clear, the year that the Bruins won the Stanley Cup doesn't matter, but the years where they didn't win the Cup do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad