LeBrun: Preds interested in stamkos

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Filip Forsberg plays the same role on the PP.

I would think Stamkos and his agent are aware of this. And Forsberg is going nowhere.

You have to actually fit the player into your team and make it work.

Reactions: KaraLupin

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
The Preds are looking at the Stars model and want to emulate it. Mix young talent with still-effective veteran leadership.

Well I hope they don't sign a guy long term who is completely cooked at 5v5, and has to work on PP2 because Forsberg does a better job at his only effective role nowadays.

He's ranked high on the list of free agents this off-season, but let's be real about where he's at in his career play and role wise.

Locker-room effect aside, of course.

Reactions: Conbon

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
The Preds are looking at the Stars model and want to emulate it. Mix young talent with still-effective veteran leadership.
Young talent? Who else besides Evangelista is "young talent" in our lineup?

As for Stammer, I'd pass. Guy's already won everything and is clearly looking for a cozy retirement contract like his buddy Killorn last summer. We should be figuring out who's going to be with us long-term and building the team that way.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Young talent? Who else besides Evangelista is "young talent" in our lineup?

As for Stammer, I'd pass. Guy's already won everything and is clearly looking for a cozy retirement contract like his buddy Killorn last summer. We should be figuring out who's going to be with us long-term and building the team that way.

Not currently in your lineup (I love me some Tommy Novak, but he's more of a prime-age guy), but you guys have drafted a lot over the past few years, have 7 more draft picks in the first four rounds this year, and many of the guys that you've drafted are going to break into the lineup sooner rather than later, such as Askarov, Wood, Molendyk, Kemell, etc.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not currently in your lineup (I love me some Tommy Novak, but he's more of a prime-age guy), but you guys have drafted a lot over the past few years, have 7 more draft picks in the first four rounds this year, and many of the guys that you've drafted are going to break into the lineup sooner rather than later, such as Askarov, Wood, Molendyk, Kemell, etc.
That's all true but we've seen what this org does with younger guys. They waived Tolvanen cause they couldn't for the life of theirs figure out what do with him. Same is happening with Tomasino. It also already happened with Afanasyev - as soon as his waiver eligibility expired they kicked him to the curb.

We've had some solid picks the last few years (I'm especially optimistic about L'Heureux) but this organization has given me every reason to doubt them as to evaluating and especially developing young talent. To me, signing Stammer - or other veterans similar to him - just gives Trotz and co. another excuse to "overcook" our prospects and not give them a look at the NHL-level.

Reactions: Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That makes 0 sense for the Preds given their trajectory. Would be a fool's contract outside of one year.
Well, the Preds are trying to get better, win a playoff round, and improving the team’s scoring by adding a player of Stamkos’ calibre would be a big help. So for sure the Preds would love to have him, and would likely offer top dollar and term to sign him.

Only problem is, Stamkos isn’t really available, he’s staying in TB, so anything about other teams being interested is just click bait.

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
What a productive add to the conversation. I do really enjoy your in depth takes on these topics. Please continue to share your thoughts as I quite enjoy your view points.
I forgot common sense isn't common these days, I thought it would be silly to have to explain this.....
What teams aren't going to try to get a proven 40 goal scorer for nothing but cap space? Specially a team that has historically needed more scoring from up front.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Filip Forsberg plays the same role on the PP.

I would think Stamkos and his agent are aware of this. And Forsberg is going nowhere.

You have to actually fit the player into your team and make it work.

Is that right? I feel like he switches sides and roves moreso than just stands in the onetime spot like Stamkos/Ovechkin.

I recall seeing him a decent amount on the NSH PP on the right side where he does the reload up high to come down with momentum and take wrist shot.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Is that right? I feel like he switches sides and roves moreso than just stands in the onetime spot like Stamkos/Ovechkin.

I recall seeing him a decent amount on the NSH PP on the right side where he does the reload up high to come down with momentum and take wrist shot.

I think it MIGHT work, but there is also a chance that it does not. Nobody stays on that left wall the way Ovi and Stammer do, but Forsberg on the other side sounds a bit counter-productive. Then again, last season there were Stamkos to Wsh for Kuznetsov+ rumors if you recall. Those were out there even more! But anything can happen.

I don't think Stamkos is the right fit for Nashville if they are looking for a center behind O'Reilly. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

You are correct, Forsberg has traditionally been on the right side although he moved to the left a bit last season too.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If you're going to bring in Stamkos, you have to go after other big fish too like Montour.

They have 26M dollars to spend and the core is aging. Either you go all in or this is just a waste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad