Rumor: Preds and leafs linked to Pesce

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's 18.5m right now, that's having Timmins and Weber on the roster, once they go to the minors it's roughly 20m.

Giving Pesce 6.5m would be a big mistake down the line, but Toronto is in a tough spot where they shouldn't be worrying about anything past 4 years from now, here's hoping Brad doesn't overpay on one of these d-man by too much

So then you’ll have to add 2 more players with that 20M cap space

As I said with 10F, 5D, 1G you have 18.5M in cap

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
So then you’ll have to add 2 more players with that 20M cap space

As I said with 10F, 5D, 1G you have 18.5M in cap
2F are cheap RFAs, Minten likely gets a spot, and Cowan also gets at least 9 games.
they should have 12-15 to spend on D and likely will try to move Jarnkrok and Kampf to open more spots for the youngsters.
I doubt the Leafs break the bank on Pesce though, there are better targets for them, and sadly Tre has an infatuation with Tanev, so, he'd likely be his top target, but, the Leafs will be kicking every available d-mans tires, and likely sniffing around every RFA d-mans teams too.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.
he has played hard, and is injured a lot.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pesce has been a good Cane.

That said he has a lot of tread on his tires.

I reckon you meant, he does not have a lot of tread left on his tires. Or alternatively, that "he has a lot of hard miles on his tires".

But tires lose tread over time as it wears down. So a lot of tread on his tires would be a very good thing.

But a thing that i'm pretty sure you did not mean to convey, because he clearly does not appear to have a lot of tread left on his tires. Age, hard minutes, and injuries are clearly starting to catch up with him.

The real question with the Pesce contract (whoever signs it), is just a matter of how many "good years" you've got left there. Because he's still a darn good defenceman right now, even if he showed significant signs of decline last year. That UFA market though...you're not going to be signing him to a short-term deal. This is going to be his big moneymaker deal coasting into retirement.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
His skating has gotten stiffer and it definlety has seems like he’s been playing through injuries for the last couple of years. He’s still a fantastic defensive defenseman who doesn’t get a lot of credit for the little things he does every game. He’ll be missed, and he’s a worthy signing if you don’t go too long with it. I’m hoping he circles back to the Canes but am not expecting it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd have to look at the free agent list to confirm this but off the top of my head Pesce is the guy I want arguably the most in free agency, certainly the most in terms of the defensive market.

The Leafs have good pieces on defense Rielly, McCabe and Benoit are all good pieces.

What they not have is the guy that pulls the defense together.

If you can replace Brodie with Pesce that is a BIG step in that direction.

Having Rielly Pesce and McCabe as the top 3 would be a very solid top 3.

Then ideally you have Benoit anchoring the bottom pair

Your defense would look like this

Rielly Pesce

McCabe?

Benoit?

Or option B

Rielly?

McCabe Pesce

Benoit ?

Now if you went with option A you could put Benoit with McCabe because they played last year together and it worked, Benoit turned out to be a fantastic find for Toronto.

I didn't do that with option A because I wanted at least 1 guy on each pair but you could we know it works.

Option B still leaves the question of who plays with Rielly but I think McCabe and Pesce would be a hell of a shutdown pair.

Regardless you would still have a couple holes but Pesce would do A LOT for the Leafs defense over the next 4 years.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I get the feeling he's gonna be the guy who gets a deal that's gonna turn ugly sooner than later
Hrs someone who should get s shorter 3 yr deal but someone gives him 6 and it turns ugly a few yrs in

Teams are starting to learn to not give vontrscts to plsyerd into their mid 30s ad UFAs

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hrs someone who should get s shorter 3 yr deal but someone gives him 6 and it turns ugly a few yrs in

Teams are starting to learn to not give vontrscts to plsyerd into their mid 30s ad UFAs
I think a deal from Trotz and the Preds would be around 4 years with probably a bit of elevated salary. I don't see Trotz going much past that many years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think a deal from Trotz and the Preds would be around 4 years with probably a bit of elevated salary. I don't see Trotz going much past that many years.
I'm sure Trotz would like to keep it at 4 years. I'm not sure how feasible that will end up being, given the likely marketplace. He might have to go to 5 or 6 years just to match the market. And I think he has both the need (particularly after letting McDonagh go) and the Cap room. I can see him going 6x$6M if that's what it takes to win the bidding war.

Which of course, as everybody here is saying, is likely to be a painful deal in the final few years. But he'll be banking on the Cap continuing to rise, and the Preds were fine with a slowed McDonagh even in his twilight years at a similar salary. It won't be crippling, and it's a HUGE need for the Preds right now, so I think he'd be willing to bite the bullet. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm sure Trotz would like to keep it at 4 years. I'm not sure how feasible that will end up being, given the likely marketplace. He might have to go to 5 or 6 years just to match the market. And I think he has both the need (particularly after letting McDonagh go) and the Cap room. I can see him going 6x$6M if that's what it takes to win the bidding war.

Which of course, as everybody here is saying, is likely to be a painful deal in the final few years. But he'll be banking on the Cap continuing to rise, and the Preds were fine with a slowed McDonagh even in his twilight years at a similar salary. It won't be crippling, and it's a HUGE need for the Preds right now, so I think he'd be willing to bite the bullet. :dunno:
I dunno I just keep thinking about his statements about signing guys to retirement contracts and not wanting to do that after he bought out Duchene and moved RyJo. I mean I'm not saying its impossible, it just means yet another thing he has talked out of both sides of his mouth on over the course of the last year.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I remember when we were told Brodie was cooked and he gave us 3 elite years defensively before he really broke down last playoff.

I trust the professional scouts if they think he just had an off year and can get him for Brodie's caphit

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think you mean the opposite.
Correctamundo!

I reckon you meant, he does not have a lot of tread left on his tires. Or alternatively, that "he has a lot of hard miles on his tires".

But tires lose tread over time as it wears down. So a lot of tread on his tires would be a very good thing.

But a thing that i'm pretty sure you did not mean to convey, because he clearly does not appear to have a lot of tread left on his tires. Age, hard minutes, and injuries are clearly starting to catch up with him.

The real question with the Pesce contract (whoever signs it), is just a matter of how many "good years" you've got left there. Because he's still a darn good defenceman right now, even if he showed significant signs of decline last year. That UFA market though...you're not going to be signing him to a short-term deal. This is going to be his big moneymaker deal coasting into retirement.
You are correct as always good sir

Reactions: biturbo19

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Reputation/handedness or results? Pesce looked older and slower this season, while Skjei was the better, more consistent player throughout the season. So it’ll be interesting to see who is more sought after come July 1, or who Carolina tries to resign more.

Fans on this site constantly reference Pesce as well, but we rarely see Skjei’s name even mentioned.

All because one is RH and one is not. Another perfect example of where the media and fans fail to understand the Right/Left thing just isn’t as important as they think. Skjei’s phone will be ringing like crazy July 1, if he makes it to UFA.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Reputation/handedness or results? Pesce looked older and slower this season, while Skjei was the better, more consistent player throughout the season. So it’ll be interesting to see who is more sought after come July 1, or who Carolina tries to resign more.

Fans on this site constantly reference Pesce as well, but we rarely see Skjei’s name even mentioned.

All because one is RH and one is not. Another perfect example of where the media and fans fail to understand the Right/Left thing just isn’t as important as they think. Skjei’s phone will be ringing like crazy July 1, if he makes it to UFA.
I think in this case it’s about how Skjei is about to get really overpaid and Pesce is a stay home type that has absolutely helped Skjei be the player he’s become - for what people presume is a cheaper price. The RD thing in my head is more tied to pp types, which Pesce is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad