Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I sadly feel like the Myers signing has put the thought of a Zadorov signing to the grave. Dillon will probably take a pretty big hometown discount to play here and will fill Zadorovs role for toughness. It will also leave enough money to go around to sign Silovs, and possibly Guentzel or Reinhart if he hits the market.

I honestly loved Zadorov. Disappointed that the odds of resigning him are wearing thin.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
What I want July 1:

-Reinhart at 7x$8M
-Carrier at 4x$4M
-Dillon at 2x$2.5M

That's $14.5M in cap, could maybe be done.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Suter (1.6) – Miller (8) – Boeser (6.65)
Hoglander (1.1) – Petterson (11.6) – Reinhart (8)
Joshua (3.25) – Blueger (1.8) – RW (1.725)
PDG (0.775) – Aman (0.825) – Duhaime (1.5)
Podkolzin (1)

Hughes (7.85) – Hronek (7.25)
Zadorov (4.5) – Tanev (4.5)
Soucy (3.25) – Myers (3)
Juulsen (0.775)

Demko (5)
Silovs / DeSmith (1)

OEL (2.34)
Mikheyev (0.71)

This is without Garland and a discounted Reinhart. Enough room to squeeze in a RW for 1.725 for the third line.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Chatter over the Boston Bruins and their interest in signing soon-to-be unrestricted free agent centre Elias Lindholm is getting louder and louder.

Let’s do a sign-and-trade!

rea

Feb 8, 2011
What I want July 1:

-Reinhart at 7x$8M
-Carrier at 4x$4M
-Dillon at 2x$2.5M

That's $14.5M in cap, could maybe be done.
I've got so much lower expectations haha. I really wanna build that 4th line hahah. Gimme some sherwood and blais to go w podz, I'd spend the money on the d try to get a couple of the top 4s avail still and then someone like an arvidsson for ep. I don't have any delusions of grandeur in wanting guentzel or Reinhart haha

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Can someone explain to me why Myers would have anything to do with Zadorov??

Some weird things going on here

Yes Lindholm to Boston for a pick would be nice.......or Jake Debrusk to at least have the inside track as they approach July 1.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Can someone explain to me why Myers would have anything to do with Zadorov??

It's about earmarking $4.5m for a top4 Dman outside of the $9.5m AAV earmarked for Guentzel. With Myers' re-signing, they don't have that $4.5m AAV block anymore.

The Canucks are over the cap at $4.5m AAV for Tanev here. The same money that would have gone to Zadorov, had he accepted it.

1719538298367.png

Reactions: Vector

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
calgary tanking
mangiapane for a 2nd

whats the cost for sharangovich

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
But then that parses his 28 game sample away from Crosby.
If he does better outside of the context of Crosby, it's because Geuntzel himself is a great player and not a byproduct of Crosby. That's discounted as a short sample. If he did better than Reinhart with Crosby, then it's because he's a byproduct of Crosby. Does that seem right?
Yes. If he had played a much longer sample size without Crosby then I’d tend to agree that his even strength scoring wasn’t affected by Crosby. But the reality is he had 16 regular season games of unsustainable even strength production without Crosby followed by 11 playoff games where his even strength production significantly dropped and was at a similar rate to Reinhart’s with Florida.

I’m not really sure why it’s such a contested point that Crosby has significantly affected Guentzel’s even strength production over the last ten years. Like, if that wasn’t the case, then Crosby wouldn’t be the generational talent that we all know he actually is (and the stats back up).

You literally ignored it. I think you ignored it because it doesn't suit your argument and it's one of the major red flags with signing Reinhart to what he's supposed to want.

EDIT: I’ve given you a rational response as to why I didn’t address it so I don’t think it’s necessary or accurate to suggest I’m intentionally ignoring some smoking gun.
The guy who didn't produce at a level worth the contract he wants for 7/10 seasons is by default a bigger risk than the guy who actually did regardless of linemates.
He will definitely get overpaid. That’s what happens to UFAs. I’m not sure by how much, but you can depend on it.

But I have no idea why you think his time over three years ago with Buffalo is overly relevant (or relevant at all, really) to any of this. Not only was he with a tire fire of an organization, but arguably almost all of those years were before he entered his prime

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
ekblad as a one year rental might be an interesting plan b if we don't get our ufa targets. if we take on all his cap i think we are instantly in the running. in a year his salary drops out just as the oel buyout hits hard.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
ekblad as a one year rental might be an interesting plan b if we don't get our ufa targets. if we take on all his cap i think we are instantly in the running. in a year his salary drops out just as the oel buyout hits hard.
Would love to see him on the team. He can lighten the load on hronek.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I’ve banged the drum over several threads this off-season that the third line should not be put on a pedestal ahead of improving our top-six forward corps. But here we go again.

Joshua and Garland are both very nice players and they do have a ton of chemistry together. But I do believe that Garland is a luxury on the third line and considering that he doesn’t contribute to the PK, PP, or top-six. I feel that his cap hit is a wildly outsized inefficiency given the rest of the Canucks line-up needs.

I also believe that Joshua is a player capable of performing outside of being Garland’s linemate. His excellent work on the PK is a strong indicator of this. I personally choose to believe that Joshua can lead an effective third line without Garland being stapled to his wing.

Yes, they have excellent chemistry together. Joshua and another player can also have excellent chemistry together. It is short-sighted and painting the roster into a corner if you believe that you absolutely have to keep the third line together instead of making the best move possible for the top-six.

Canucks approach this off-season needs to be to go for it. My lesson from these playoffs is that you win with your best players—not your third line. Management should go after the players you want on the ice with a minute left in the game. Not the players who are on the bench. Garland is great, but he is not a last minute player on either offense or defense.
I don’t disagree with your thinking here. I would prioritize a top 6 winger or D over a 3rd line winger now that Blueger and Joshua are signed.

With that said, you aren’t likely getting a last minute player offensively for $5M. Not on this team.

I would say though that what Garland gives you is ES offensive production. We saw in the series against Edmonton that if the team isn’t getting the PP opportunities, you need guys who can produce at ES. Joshua and Garland gave the team a massive advantage. We have had teams in the past that relied on the PP and goaltending. You want to compete for the Cup you need different types of players.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
After reading the posts in the rumor thread about Ekblad and going to the cats subforum, they don't speak very highly of his play. Seems he's a shell of the player he was i guess, I don't watch them nor did I watch the finals so I can't say, but I'd prob resist temptation to take on that cap hit and actually give up equity unless there was max retention and he wasn't thrust into an important role logging heavy Mins

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
After reading the posts in the rumor thread about Ekblad and going to the cats subforum, they don't speak very highly of his play. Seems he's a shell of the player he was i guess, I don't watch them nor did I watch the finals so I can't say, but I'd prob resist temptation to take on that cap hit and actually give up equity unless there was max retention and he wasn't thrust into an important role logging heavy Mins
Ekblad is garbage. Stay far away.

• Haha
Reactions: sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad