Speculation: Predict the cap move

How do the Oilers get under the cap?

• Total voters

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Sounds like the logical way. LTIR Kane, wait out Holloway and broberg to sign bridge deals.
Then hold out the situation until kane comes back, and trade Kane or ceci depending on who seems to be the least useful piece in the future.
Logical once again would be Ceci to trade cause contract year, depending on Broberg can hold a 2nd pair spot.

Personally I would sign Holloway to a 2.5 million x 4 years deal. He got skatung and being physichal, so at least he will be a useful piece in the future.
Well if the news in the other thread that Kane will be ready to go it’s not Kane. The only one left is Ceci at this point.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Well if the news in the other thread that Kane will be ready to go it’s not Kane. The only one left is Ceci at this point.
I suspect they bridge Holloway for 1 -2:years at 1- 1,5, and Broberg to a 1 year 1.2 M deal. But then they counting straight up Broberg as the 2RD, as a leftie rookie. Thats wild looking ar that deep forward depth
Dont really either get why they signed Perry. It means, uf some one top4 gets injured, Stetcher goes top 4, and if two are injured, Josh Brown, NHLs worst player, goes top 4?

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I suspect they bridge Holloway for 1 -2:years at 1- 1,5, and Broberg to a 1 year 1.2 M deal. But then they counting straight up Broberg as the 2RD, as a leftie rookie. Thats wild looking ar that deep forward depth
Dont really either get why they signed Perry. It means, uf some one top4 gets injured, Stetcher goes top 4, and if two are injured, Josh Brown, NHLs worst player, goes top 4?
I think you are voicing my worry, move Ceci to play Kane and the forward group is almost too deep and the d group is thin, worryingly thin.

Only other crazy possibilities is Nurse gets moved and d comes back in return or even crazier Drai. I’m really curious to see how he pulls this off.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think you are voicing my worry, move Ceci to play Kane and the forward group is almost too deep and the d group is thin, worryingly thin.

Only other crazy possibilities is Nurse gets moved and d comes back in return or even crazier Drai. I’m really curious to see how he pulls this off.
If nurse is moved, maybe even two Ds should come back. And if so, they should trade Nurse in a heartbeat, sorry Nurse, but if you aint worth 9M on a contending team, you eat to much cap. Ceci is easy replaceable, but ceci did better away from nurse than Nurse did away from Ceci. Thats.... telling numbers.
Or say Nurse for a RD + 2nd rounder or rather a good prosprct - I would do that in an instant.

But good prospects is extremly hard to find.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Kane to LTIR to heal from two years of significant injuries. Ceci traded looking at the Oilers targeted free agent depth signing of 3rd pair, 7th d right shot defensemen, all with slightly different skills (Stetcher, Brown, Carrick). Run with a platoon at 3RD.

Bit of a risk with RD. Liking giving a lot of rope to Broberg to grab 2RD. But think they finally target top 4 RD upgrade at trade deadline.

EDIT: Ammending to Kane on IR not LTIR. Oil bank cap space for deadline. Looks like with Broberg & Holloway minimum qualifying offer plus 2 of 3 (Stetcher, Brown, Carrick) will come in at Ceci's $3.2 million cap hit. Think they likely have a Ceci trade or trades options in the hopper pending on Free Agency shaking out further for one or more clubs.
With McLeod hitting the bricks hopefully the above with a badass healthy Kane returning at some point, looking to prove some internet losers wrong.

One m in amending.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I am not a Ceci fan in general from watching Ottawa back in the day.

But.

For his cap hit I have felt he has been good to great playing in a top 4 role. We now know without doubt that Nurse is a big reason why that pair struggles at times. His unorthodox play and poor passing leads to that pairing being rough... as basically ever Nurse pairing can be rough with him on the ice...

So I am again surprised that Ceci is again drawing the fire of Oilers fans.

I thought he has been solid for us and the playoffs more good than bad for sure. At an extremely small fraction of what Nurse is costing us. I highly doubt we could ever replace what Ceci does for this team at that cap hit. Not to mention he is a RD which is much tougher to get.

I think there is three things with Nurse that makes us oilerfans put inna limbo.

Hes here and stays cause firstly draftpedigree and historic potential, then skating and all strong athletic sides of an atlethic. He can fill in for 40 min a nigjt if he has to, and skates great. But the quality of hockey and stability and patience is of a 3rd pair D... So cause of atlethic sides, and beeing with the gang so long he wont go. But he really should go. Both Bouchard and ekholm is ahead of him, and once Broberg becomes experied, he will surpass Nurse on the depthchart as well. Thats for 9M awful value.

And once Im at it, dont hire Stan Bowman, of many reasons. Both past incidents. But also cause he isnt that great as a GM in my senses.

Go with JJ. He is in the organisation, and is a natrual so far.
If He has the guts to trade Nurse, you know he got highly good senses for managing.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

The thing about moving Ceci before the season starts and riding Stetcher/Brown on the bottom pair is it opens up more cap space at the deadline because cap accumulates daily. Trading Ceci at the Deadline only opens up essentially 800k worth at the deadline which gets you around a 3.2M player coming back (6.4M with 50% retention). If you get rid of him before the season starts you're going to open up a lot more space to use at the trade deadline.

That is why I personally would move Ceci this summer and ride Stetcher/Brown as the bottom pairing RHD because I think the team is good enough with anybody on the bottom pairing to make the playoffs easily and even win the division. It's a slight gamble, especially if injuries pile up, but it also sets you up way better to add at the TDL.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Maybe Ceci has more value than we realize and they are cooking up something bigger? I thought he's be gone for picks by now

RD is still not making sense. Stecher and Brown likely signed these contracts with NHL expectations and our agent overlord would not start one in the AHL imo. It feels like a pair you switch between

Reactions: McDoused

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Kulak for prospect makes the most sense at this point.
Him going out and Broberg+Holloway signing for less than 2.4M combined makes us cap compliant.

13F and 7D

Reactions: commie

commie

Jul 30, 2005
Him going out and Broberg+Holloway signing for less than 2.4M combined makes us cap compliant.

13F and 7D

Think that is the right play here if Kane is healthy and not on LTIR, gets every D playing on their proper side, and Broberg gets to start as the 3D on his natural side.
Start the year with:
Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Ceci/Stretcher/Brown
Broberg-Ceci/Stretcher/Brown

Run a 13F 7D lineup, and they will win the Pacific and challenge for the West/President's title.

At the TDL, use Ceci + futures to upgrade the 2RD position.
On the forward side, not much need upgrading at the TDL, perhaps a RH 4C or a 4th line tough guy.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
You can't move Ceci / Kulak (I'd rather they kept Kulak, frankly) without bringing in another vet to eat those minutes. Maybe Jackson will pull another miracle out here. But you can't strip out the D core completely and run with it. Perhaps a cost controlled younger D with some experience whom they like, but no GM is giving those away, certainly not for the likes of Ceci. Should be interesting to see what they do here.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Stecher and Nurse had a few great games together

Or Dump Kulak and run Broberg and Stercher together and take the Ceci/Kulak money for a d partner for nurse

Reactions: McDoused

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sounds like the logical way. LTIR Kane, wait out Holloway and broberg to sign bridge deals.
Then hold out the situation until kane comes back, and trade Kane or ceci depending on who seems to be the least useful piece in the future.
Logical once again would be Ceci to trade cause contract year, depending on Broberg can hold a 2nd pair spot.

Personally I would sign Holloway to a 2.5 million x 4 years deal. He got skatung and being physichal, so at least he will be a useful piece in the future.
Seems a little heavy for a guy with 18 career points so far. Knock a million off of that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kane needs to reaggrivate something golfing. And LTIR for the year. Having the cap space while still being able to reactivate a 100% healthy Kane for the playoffs would have immense game changing value.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

13F and 7D
Keeping Kulak makes more sense than Ceci. He's a better skater, better puck retriever, and better puck mover. This team needs to improve its puck moving and puck retrieval on the back end, not downgrade it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It seems to me like they're just going to submit a 20 man roster on it for day 1 with Broberg + Holloway signing 1 mill-ish deals.

Then someone will be put on LTIR.

I don't think JJ is interested in making changes to a d corps that went to game 7 of a Cup Final unless it's an upgrade.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Isn't it going to be hard to guarantee someone is on LTIR from Game 1 of the season until game 1 of the playoffs though?

How can they be sure for example that they will be able to LTIR Kane from August (or whenever any surgery is done) until Mid-April when the playoffs start... that's probably 8 months of recovery... most injury recovery times are quite a bit shorter than that.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Isn't it going to be hard to guarantee someone is on LTIR from Game 1 of the season until game 1 of the playoffs though?

How can they be sure for example that they will be able to LTIR Kane from August (or whenever any surgery is done) until Mid-April when the playoffs start... that's probably 8 months of recovery... most injury recovery times are quite a bit shorter than that.

My conspiracy tin hat theory is they've agreed to delay Kane's surgery for as long as possible to maximize the time he's on LTIR during the season.

I.E. They're going to wait the summer, let him come to TC, and discover **cough** it hasn't healed, and that it'll be a 6 to 8 month recovery window after going under the knife. Basically what TB did with Kucherov.

Another angle is even if Kane isn't out the entire year, you'd still get the chance to delay making a move, and actually evaluate in-season which setup (without Kulak or without Ceci) is better.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Stecher

or

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Broberg-Ceci

Reactions: nexttothemoon

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Stetcher has played top 4 most of his career in both Vancouver and LA. How is that a worse option?
fmI feel like Kulak is better suited for playing wit Nurse thsn Stetcher.

My conspiracy tin hat theory is they've agreed to delay Kane's surgery for as long as possible to maximize the time he's on LTIR during the season.

I.E. They're going to wait the summer, let him come to TC, and discover **cough** it hasn't healed, and that it'll be a 6 to 8 month recovery window after going under the knife. Basically what TB did with Kucherov.

Another angle is even if Kane isn't out the entire year, you'd still get the chance to delay making a move, and actually evaluate in-season which setup (without Kulak or without Ceci) is better.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Stecher

or

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Broberg-Ceci
I had the same deay the deal theory? But wich o e to deal between Ceci and Kane. But we all know that Nurse wpuld be the ideal deal. Freeing up 9 frigging millions.
Its untradeable.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think this is false. All evidence points to Kane trying to rehab without surgery. This may crossover into the regular season. I think it likely does because even if this route to recovery, from the sports hernia/hip issue, is on time Kane still has to get into game shape after his recovery.

If he tries non-invasive rehab and results don't meet a certain timeline, that you nor I are privy to, Kane will likely need the surgery.

Some information has been released but not nearly enough to say what is what at this juncture.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think Kane plays a few game to start the season and then goes to get the surgery done. It'll put him out until the playoffs and the Oilers can accrue cap space for a big deadline trade. The Oiler are 400K over cap right now. Waive Ryan and play 20 players. The Oilers are good enough for a couple of games until Kane goes on LTIR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad