Speculation: Predict the cap move

How do the Oilers get under the cap?

• Total voters

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think Kane plays a few game to start the season and then goes to get the surgery done. It'll put him out until the playoffs and the Oilers can accrue cap space for a big deadline trade.
I doesn't matter when the player goes on LTIR. If you are using LTIR you don't accrue cap space for the deadline.

I miss capfriendly so much, all this information was there.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I doesn't matter when the player goes on LTIR. If you are using LTIR you don't accrue cap space.

I miss capfriendly so much, all this information was there.
I thought if you LTIR the player in the season, you can accrue cap space?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I thought if you LTIR the player in the season, you can accrue cap space?
If I remember right, you cannot. As long as we are over the cap and using the LTIR, we do not acrue salary.

From what I understand, the issue is the following: if we are over the cap, let say by 2 milion, on opening night, than this is our LTIR pool for the entire season. So lets say Nurse gets injured later and we put him on LTIR, we can only exceed the salary cap by 2 mils and not Nurse' cap hit.

At least that is my understanding.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If I remember right, you cannot. As long as we are over the cap and using the LTIR, we do not acrue salary.

From what I understand, the issue is the following: if we are over the cap, let say by 2 milion, on opening night, than this is our LTIR pool for the entire season. So lets say Nurse gets injured later and we put him on LTIR, we can only exceed the salary cap by 2 mils and not Nurse' cap hit.

At least that is my understanding.
The bolded is not the case. If Nurse was hurt and qualified for LTIR the LTIR pool would increase by the amount of his salary. There are nuanced differences between in-season and off-season use of LTIR but in both cases players who are hurt in season badly enough to satisfy the LTIR conditions will increase the LTIR pool.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Still not sold on changing the D up much. Or goaltending. For what seems a decade the largest knock on the team was the D and goaltending. Then last year they finished 10th in GA (take out first 11 game debacle and its 5th) and 5th in shots against. Then in the playoffs ran a historic PK and lowered the GA vs the regular season, equal to the regular season minus the first 11 games.

They lost because in 3 of the finals losses they scored 2 goals total. In the 4 losses they held Florida to 2.5 GA/G (not including empty net).

I like the changes they have made, adding more scoring while largely not affecting a heck of a lot else. Just not a fan of potentially blowing up what was a strong suit for the team this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers submit a 20 man roster on day one of the season without doing anything they will be under the cap, assuming Holloway + Broberg are approximately 1 mill each, Brown, Ryan, and Perry sent down (paper transaction). Ryan and Perry can say they will retire if any other team tries to select them on waivers.

Then you could put Kane on LTIR and still accrue cap space through out the year. That's my understanding anyway.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Still not sold on changing the D up much. Or goaltending. For what seems a decade the largest knock on the team was the D and goaltending. Then last year they finished 10th in GA (take out first 11 game debacle and its 5th) and 5th in shots against. Then in the playoffs ran a historic PK and lowered the GA vs the regular season, equal to the regular season minus the first 11 games.

They lost because in 3 of the finals losses they scored 2 goals total. In the 4 losses they held Florida to 2.5 GA/G (not including empty net).

I like the changes they have made, adding more scoring while largely not affecting a heck of a lot else. Just not a fan of potentially blowing up what was a strong suit for the team this year.

Yeah they were 6th best in GA under Knoblaugh.

Other thing is they choked the life out of every offense in the playoffs the longer every round went on.

LA and Dallas only scored 1.33 goals per game in the final 3 games of those series to lose in 5 and 6 games respectively.

Vancouver and Florida were both 7 game series' and the Oilers only allowed 1.75 goals per game in the final 4 games of each series.

So not one opponent was even able to put up 2 goals per game the longer any of those rounds went on.

That indicates good coaching that is able to look at what the other team is doing and adjust on top of a team that was buying in to what the staff was selling.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You can LTIR a player in the offseason. Doesnt need to fit under cap for opening day 1.

If they both sign for 1m though, the players they're replacing will be waived so we'll end up at the same amount over.

Say they sign for 1m each, Ryan and Brown could get waived and it would be no different on the cap.
Highly unlikely they waive Brown, and IMO, that would be a terrible move, as he definitely would get snapped up. I agree that Kane will go on LTIR, as all reports seem to indicate that, and it's the cleanest way to make more than enough cap room to meet their needs.

And I think they clean up the defence a bit at TD.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Highly unlikely they waive Brown, and IMO, that would be a terrible move, as he definitely would get snapped up. I agree that Kane will go on LTIR, as all reports seem to indicate that, and it's the cleanest way to make more than enough cap room to meet their needs.

We are talking about waiving Josh Brown by the way. Pretty sure his deal is structured to make him unattractive as a waiver pick up because they gave him the 3 year term. They are 100% waiving Josh Brown and then will bring him back up according to need.

Reactions: McDoused

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Josh Brown was the Brown I was referring to.

Ad

Ad

Ad