Seravalli: Predators’ Mattias Ekholm “Available”

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Oilers should be all ove rthis if true. Leafs too but they dont have anything of interest to Preds maybe Nimelä.
They should be. But they'll activate Kane from IR, trade for a fourth line forward who ends up playing 6 games and a third pairing d-man as their deadline deals. Would just be comically Edmonton to not get either Ekholm or Chychrun.

• Haha
Reactions: Hobnobs

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I gotta agree with my fellow Preds fans - I don't think Poile's trading Ekholm just after signing him to an extension. This is just speculating for the sake of clicks and hype.

But if we were to trade him - which I do not suggest - we'd have to get a defense prospect back as our pipeline on the backend is as dry as dust and we have no one coming up to replace Ekholm.

Also, if his past behaviour is any indication, Poile's not going to value picks as much as prospects in the trade. He'd rather get a Holloway or a Knies than a 1st.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not sure he plays right side. With Rielly Gio and Sandin our left side is pretty deep.

Right side of Brodie Liligren Holl Timmins....

A bit weaker.
Ekholm is a chameleon. He can play left or right side, he can play offensively or defensively and he can play with pretty much any partner. His numbers may be a bit down from Ellis-Subban era as he's been the one who has carried Fabbro and Carrier into the league during their rookie years.

Extremely valuable piece for us, which is why I wouldn't want to trade him. Trading him signals the beginning of a bigger rebuild.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A late 1st, 2 overrated prospects and a cap dump doesn't get it done especially since Foegele is negative value. Best trade is extended Horvat one for one for Ekholm. Similar age, established NHL players, cap hit will be similar even after Horvat extends and no cap dump involved. Canucks should be in on this since they need to fix their D. Nashville will get a very good 2 way center that can score goals and can play on 1st line too.
I wouldn't say Foegle is negative value. He's been better than last year and is clearly a 3rd line player in this league, and isn't overpaid for that role.

I don't think Ekholm is enough for extended Horvat.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn't say Foegle is negative value. He's been better than last year and is clearly a 3rd line player in this league, and isn't overpaid for that role.

I don't think Ekholm is enough for extended Horvat.
Horvat is having an awesome season, but I don't think an "extended Horvat" exists, nor would I want him on the Preds at the terms of such an extension anyway. We can't afford that. We've been down that road with a couple big contracts to good-but-not-great forwards already. And we have a fair number of other forwards in our mix and on the way already who can at least partially fill those shoes. Whereas we have nothing remotely close to another Ekholm. There shouldn't be any fit here.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I don't care move either Morgan or Gio to RD if necessary

Ekholm is excellent and if something works then great, but we shouldn't be this desperate to mess with a D core that has worked well this year. We've tried Rielly on the right, it's not great. Not to mention adding a $6.25m player on the wrong side of 30 with term through when we need to extend Matthews, Nylander, Marner...

For the Leafs this would have to be an offseason deal if they can get some clarity on the Matthews and Nylander extensions this summer and potentially revenue/cap expectations going forward.

Reactions: Blaylock38

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Ekholm is excellent and if something works then great, but we shouldn't be this desperate to mess with a D core that has worked well this year. We've tried Rielly on the right, it's not great. Not to mention adding a $6.25m player on the wrong side of 30 with term through when we need to extend Matthews, Nylander, Marner...

For the Leafs this would have to be an offseason deal if they can get some clarity on the Matthews and Nylander extensions this summer and potentially revenue/cap expectations going forward.
(From a Leafs perspective) This take is spot on!!! well said!

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
ekholm would be nice on vancouver but we need to dump miller and that would just not work, unless theres additions to either side

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A late 1st, 2 overrated prospects and a cap dump doesn't get it done especially since Foegele is negative value. Best trade is extended Horvat one for one for Ekholm. Similar age, established NHL players, cap hit will be similar even after Horvat extends and no cap dump involved. Canucks should be in on this since they need to fix their D. Nashville will get a very good 2 way center that can score goals and can play on 1st line too.
Ekholm is four years older than Horvat. What you wrote is definitely not true. So your counter makes no sense unless the Preds are adding something significant.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

As good as our defense has been for the most part, Ekholm would be a difference maker.

Imagine going into the #layoffs with

Reilly Ekholm

Brodie Sandin

Gio Lilly

I don't know about you but I think Holl as the #7/8 means the defense is better

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Oh no! Him and his wife are going to be so very very sad if this happens :/

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
this thread is bad because i have the predds making the post, it won't be pretty but you need to hold the fort for the ppl you have there.

Don't become a place for pay team.

Best playoffs Ive liked was vs the Preds.

Still hate you, *kisses*

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yesterday was my first time seeing Ekholm live and I was very impressed. Someone is going to be very happy with him if he actually is on the block

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ekholm is great, guys physical, big and great at defending. But he's not gonna get anywhere near what Chychrun returns. He's older and has maybe 3ish good seasons left, he's 32.

I agree with this. Both players are good but one is younger and on a better cap hit. Ekholm is not likely to be traded by the Preds IMO. Waste of time talking about it.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nashville Predators' Mattias Ekholm "Available"

First paragraph just says: There is a brand new name to throw out onto the 2023 trade deadline hot stove, and it’s a big one. Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff writes that Nashville Predators general manager David Poile “is ready to consider moving” Mattias Ekholm, and lists him as “available” in his first Trade Targets board.

Seravalli could be throwing shit at a wall and hope it sticks, but then again if the Preds fall down the standing in the next 8 weeks it could be a possibility that Poile moves Ekholm.
Edmonton 1st 2024 + Puljujarvi ( Sorry cap reasons ) + 2nd 2023 + B prospect + roster player someone like Foegele to start

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yesterday was my first time seeing Ekholm live and I was very impressed. Someone is going to be very happy with him if he actually is on the block
We've seen this song and dance before from "insiders" hoping that Ekholm might be available. I'll believe it when I see it to be honest. Then I'll be mad because my team likely won't be the one getting him even though he is the exact player we need.

1st rounder, 2nd rounder, equal cap going back (expiring after this year where possible) would be easy to part with for Ekholm. It's finding out what else needs to be included that might make it start to hurt, ha ha.

Drafted in the same draft as Evander Kane, Pääjärvi-Svensson, Lander and Barrie.
Time sure flies. It doesn't feel like any of those guys should be 33, ha ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad