Seravalli: Predators’ Mattias Ekholm “Available”

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not onboard with trading Ekholm in general, and I don't believe Poile would be trying to either. But... if Broberg + Oilers 1st was actually going to be on the table, well, I could change my mind. :)

If Puljujarvi needs to be included as a Cap dump, that's fine also. Really, any expiring salary up to Ekholm's is not an impediment here. Salary past this season would probably start to be considered negative value.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I hate that this might be possible because it really feels like we just swapped McD for Ekholm, albeit we cleared assets and then should return assets in this scenario. Ekholm has been a warrior for us and has settled his family in Nashville, committing to us long term. It sucks that he makes the most sense to trade away, but he kind of does make the most sense.

I have no idea what his return would be, but I would like for it to be in the quality category rather than quantity of young unknowns including picks. Poile is here and will f*** up any 1sts that we get, so why are we asking for 1sts? We haven't had a "successful" homegrown 1st rounder since Fabbro who has his own trade thread and previous to that I don't even recall. We need a young player who is on the cusp and has already done a good chunk of his development.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Who is giving a 1++? What are the ++?
remrmber his last 3 yrs are 33-35 yrs old. That is the big downside of a career and many fall of a cliff. Given his over $6M+ it’s a very risky buy.

players like chrychun and Andersson are much year and around $1.5M cheaper

nashville could wait till summer of 23 when cap raises by $3M+ might make it easier for teams to swallow

look at what Carolina gave up for burns retained?

Yea.. He's still very very good. You bring up age like you're automatically terrible after 30. Anyone can fall of a cliff at any age. And no, being 32 isnt a BIG downside to your career.

Wtf are "much year"?

Sharks needed to get rid of Burns and there is also a difference between 6 and 8 million.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I hate that this might be possible because it really feels like we just swapped McD for Ekholm, albeit we cleared assets and then should return assets in this scenario. Ekholm has been a warrior for us and has settled his family in Nashville, committing to us long term. It sucks that he makes the most sense to trade away, but he kind of does make the most sense.

I have no idea what his return would be, but I would like for it to be in the quality category rather than quantity of young unknowns including picks. Poile is here and will f*** up any 1sts that we get, so why are we asking for 1sts? We haven't had a "successful" homegrown 1st rounder since Fabbro who has his own trade thread and previous to that I don't even recall. We need a young player who is on the cusp and has already done a good chunk of his development.
I think the bold part above is part of why this rumor isn't credible. Poile can trade core guys, we've seen that with Weber, but there were also some extenuating circumstances there between the two sides. I think Ekholm took a lesser term from us than he could have gotten on the market, he didn't do anything to force an issue with the organization, I don't see Poile reneging on any gentlemens' understanding they probably have.

So anyway, I find it fun to banter values here, but bottom line it would shock me... truly SHOCK me :eek2:... if Ekholm was traded.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The league wide cap lock is putting a drag on value of players with sizeable cap hits and term regardless of how good a player they are.

Almost nobody can afford to make trades unless the seller is taking back big chunks of cap as well or the buyer is paying an outrageous price to get a broker team involved on top of what you pay for the player. Even a younger guy with control and a decent cap hit in Chychrun isn’t moving despite what I would call a “reasonable” couple late 1st and 2nd or equivalent prospect. If the league wasn’t so starved for cap I bet someone would have stepped up by now.

To maximize Ekholm’s value in the current trade market he would have to be willing to take back a sizeable multi year cap hit in order to make it a realistic option for teams that would be interested in Ekholm or he’s going to have to accept a discounted return as almost any team taking on Ekholms deal is going to have to pay to make room for Ekholms deal this year and likely next.

I think Poile may be just fishing here, trading him now doesn’t really make sense even if he would like to free up some space to try and upgrade. I think like most gm’s league wide he’s just going to stay in a holding pattern.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Yea.. He's still very very good. You bring up age like you're automatically terrible after 30. Anyone can fall of a cliff at any age. And no, being 32 isnt a BIG downside to your career.

Wtf are "much year"?

Sharks needed to get rid of Burns and there is also a difference between 6 and 8 million.

do you remembered nashville praticly get for free a similar kind of Dman in mcdonaugh at a similar age and contract?!?! So not sure his value is that high

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
i mean what would you expect for a top pairing (on any other team than the preds) stalwart who can eat 25 min a game on shut down the best forwards in the show on a reasonable contract long term??

Hes arguably a top 20 D man in the league
1672856471893.png

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
do you remembered nashville praticly get for free a similar kind of Dman in mcdonaugh at a similar age and contract?!?! So not sure his value is that hihigh

Tampa was over the cap and had to purge a large caphit. Nashville is in for a bit of squeeze and has multiple routes to become cap compliant. McDonagh also has a NTC and got to say where he was willing to go to. Ekholm doesnt have any. Not really the same situation.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
A 1st + Holloway + Broberg + Foegele (for cap purposes) is awful in your opinion?

Ummmm. That’s quite good actually. If Nashville has higher expectations, ummm… well…. You’ll be disappointed when the trade is announced.
Quit trying to convince him.

Just give us that package and let's lock up this thread.

:partytime:

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
the value of guy who will be 36 when his contract ends and has 3 more years at 6.25 is not great. without retention I think are over valuing. the teams that would want him cant afford him.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Tampa was over the cap and had to purge a large caphit. Nashville is in for a bit of squeeze and has multiple routes to become cap compliant. McDonagh also has a NTC and got to say where he was willing to go to. Ekholm doesnt have any. Not really the same situation.

The reality its with his cap hit amd majority of team without cap space, the number of team interest will be thin especially at trade deadline...

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
do you remembered nashville praticly get for free a similar kind of Dman in mcdonaugh at a similar age and contract?!?! So not sure his value is that high
Difference was they were going to move him no matter what and they more or less let him pick his cities. We don't have that same issue, we don't need to move Ekholm.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If they wanted to do it yes it is.

Ok sure... with a 20 man roster, having waived Timmins, Hunt and Benn... there is 76k of room left over.. but it doesn't make much sense.... That's with Holl being moved out as well.

If mgmt is interested in a D move, this **could** make the price for Chychrun come down to earth, which cap wise, would be the better move.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Fills Muzzin's dead cap and job almost perfectly, let's just re do the Muzzin trade and call it a day. Niemela as Durzi and pick a non-Knies forward for the Grundstrom equivalent.
Muzzin deal was Durzi + Grundstrom + 2019 1st round pick (think it ended at 23rd used to take Bjonfort)

So we'd need to deal 2023 1st (23-32 range) + Niemela (around durzi value) + B Prospect (Voit/Minten/Hirvonen)

I'd like to add Ekholm but I think we need a high-quality LW'er more.

Trading our 1st + 2 quality prospects reduces our assets to get that LW asset

Reactions: BringTheReign

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Nashville Predators' Mattias Ekholm "Available"

First paragraph just says: There is a brand new name to throw out onto the 2023 trade deadline hot stove, and it’s a big one. Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff writes that Nashville Predators general manager David Poile “is ready to consider moving” Mattias Ekholm, and lists him as “available” in his first Trade Targets board.

Seravalli could be throwing shit at a wall and hope it sticks, but then again if the Preds fall down the standing in the next 8 weeks it could be a possibility that Poile moves Ekholm.
Canucks should trade Horvat for him. We need a defenseman

I'm not onboard with trading Ekholm in general, and I don't believe Poile would be trying to either. But... if Broberg + Oilers 1st was actually going to be on the table, well, I could change my mind. :)

If Puljujarvi needs to be included as a Cap dump, that's fine also. Really, any expiring salary up to Ekholm's is not an impediment here. Salary past this season would probably start to be considered negative value.
That disposable trash return for Ekholm can be easily beaten with Canucks trading an extended Horvat for him. Broberg and a late 1st does nothing and Poolparty is negative value.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Horvat is your man, you will get a great player who has done all the developing and is now in his prime.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
A 1st + Holloway + Broberg + Foegele (for cap purposes) is awful in your opinion?

Ummmm. That’s quite good actually. If Nashville has higher expectations, ummm… well…. You’ll be disappointed when the trade is announced.
A late 1st, 2 overrated prospects and a cap dump doesn't get it done especially since Foegele is negative value. Best trade is extended Horvat one for one for Ekholm. Similar age, established NHL players, cap hit will be similar even after Horvat extends and no cap dump involved. Canucks should be in on this since they need to fix their D. Nashville will get a very good 2 way center that can score goals and can play on 1st line too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad