Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] GM03 | Kraken def. Canucks | 3-1 (Myers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Meh. Expected road preseason loss but the reason you would have expected they lose (D with 0 pro games on each pairing) was actually the furthest thing from the issue.

- Elias Petterson sleepwalked through this 2nd straight preseason game. If it was a guy you knew would crank it up on opening day you wouldn't be concerned but when it's a guy who went AWOL for the last 30 games last year seeing the same sort of non-compete and poor body language is concerning.

- top 2 lines sucked which is mildly concerning because they were a JT Miller away from being basically the regular top-6. Kiefer Sherwood was *by far* the best of the bunch which is good for Sherwood but bad for everyone else. Barely noticed Debrusk.

- best thing about this game was the performance of the 3 young defenders but in particular Christian Felton who made everything look easy despite playing with an ogre of a partner. Great skating and edgework, great poise and handling of the forecheck, did everything quickly and accurately. Also made one great cross-seam pass to Boeser for one of the team's better chances tonight. If he can go to Abbotsford and do this for a month, he's going to jump into the team's top 5 or 7 prospects.

- likewise Kudryatsev and Mynio were also both very good. Best game I've ever seen Kudryatsev play and it was against the best competition I've seen him play against so that's a hell of a good thing. Mynio was soft on his coverage on the 3-1 goal but otherwise skated well, made a good recovery on a breakaway chance against.

- worst thing about this game was the alarming performance of Derek Forbort. Dude looks like he can barely skate, echoes of Danny Dekeyser a couple years ago. Just an absolute pylon, was the player most at fault on both of the first two goals, handled the puck like a grenade and was generally deferring to his rookie partner with 0 pro games. Ew ew ew. He was better on the PK which is I guess his calling card but getting wrecked by the half-strength stinky Kraken in a preseason game is not a good sign.

- Myers was the best of the veterans. When a guy is 34 you always wonder if his skating will have broken coming back for a new season but he's skating as well as ever. Hopefully he can age like a Chara.

- Pius Suter is a utility winger who you play at C in a pinch, not a regular C on your top 3 lines.

- Blais was a bit better and threw a couple decent hits but again you want to see his feet moving more on the forecheck. A couple times there were dump-ins and THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE HERE FOR BE A WRECKING BALL and he's cruising in at 60%.

- Nathan Smith looks exactly like other Nathan Smith but in Jay Beagle's jersey. None of this is good.

- go away, Klimovich.

- Bains and Sasson had good energy tonight although both looked a bit smallish/weak on the puck and had trouble penetrating into dangerous areas (giggity).

- Lankinen was ... okish. Both of the first two goals looked bad although both were (very slight) deflections. Not going to comment too much as he's had a crazy week.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Klimovich and Smith should be cut. I might give Blais a bit more time to play into shape, but he’s close, too.

Karlsson, Sasson and Bains were miles better than the other three IMO, but I don’t think any of them are cracking the opening night roster.

Pretty much all of the veterans outside of Myers and Lankinen were coasting. Sherwood had some hustle. Lankinen probably wanted a goal or two back but was solid in a game where his team was outplayed.

Felton, Kudryatsev and Mynio all look promising. That’s hopeful considering Forbort and Juulsen have not looked promising.

Reactions: Lindgren

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Forbort looked glacial with bad transition passing. Dekeyser like. Hoping waivers brings a LD

Liked Mynio. He's got some legit NHL puck mover potential. Needs another year in teh CHL though.
Kudryavtsev should be useful in Abby soon. Hopefully SSMarie has room for him to return and dominate if they don't think he's ready for everyday usage in the AHL

Felton Smith Klimovich Blais.....time to go down. Bains is close to joining them. Poor youngstars and then a couple decent games and then back to poor tonight. Not exactly pushing his way in.

Not feeling it with Suter or even Heinen yet but obviously they get a little more rope as NHLers. Suter has been badly outplayed by Raty to this point. You would think he would play with a bit more urgency.

Sherwood should be an excellent addition.

Vets chiselling off rust and coasting 3/4 throttle not worth reading into much....yet

hehe on the Dekeyser reference. Swear i didnt read MSs thoughts. And oh yes Karlsson was playing...he can join the other 4 i mentioned above to the Valley. Sasson deserves some better line mates. He's had a good camp and pre season

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Meh. Expected road preseason loss but the reason you would have expected they lose (D with 0 pro games on each pairing) was actually the furthest thing from the issue.

- Elias Petterson sleepwalked through this 2nd straight preseason game. If it was a guy you knew would crank it up on opening day you wouldn't be concerned but when it's a guy who went AWOL for the last 30 games last year seeing the same sort of non-compete and poor body language is concerning.

- top 2 lines sucked which is mildly concerning because they were a JT Miller away from being basically the regular top-6. Kiefer Sherwood was *by far* the best of the bunch which is good for Sherwood but bad for everyone else. Barely noticed Debrusk.

- best thing about this game was the performance of the 3 young defenders but in particular Christian Felton who made everything look easy despite playing with an ogre of a partner. Great skating and edgework, great poise and handling of the forecheck, did everything quickly and accurately. Also made one great cross-seam pass to Boeser for one of the team's better chances tonight. If he can go to Abbotsford and do this for a month, he's going to jump into the team's top 5 or 7 prospects.

- likewise Kudryatsev and Mynio were also both very good. Best game I've ever seen Kudryatsev play and it was against the best competition I've seen him play against so that's a hell of a good thing. Mynio was soft on his coverage on the 3-1 goal but otherwise skated well, made a good recovery on a breakaway chance against.

- worst thing about this game was the alarming performance of Derek Forbort. Dude looks like he can barely skate, echoes of Danny Dekeyser a couple years ago. Just an absolute pylon, was the player most at fault on both of the first two goals, handled the puck like a grenade and was generally deferring to his rookie partner with 0 pro games. Ew ew ew. He was better on the PK which is I guess his calling card but getting wrecked by the half-strength stinky Kraken in a preseason game is not a good sign.

- Myers was the best of the veterans. When a guy is 34 you always wonder if his skating will have broken coming back for a new season but he's skating as well as ever. Hopefully he can age like a Chara.

- Pius Suter is a utility winger who you play at C in a pinch, not a regular C on your top 3 lines.

- Blais was a bit better and threw a couple decent hits but again you want to see his feet moving more on the forecheck. A couple times there were dump-ins and THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE HERE FOR BE A WRECKING BALL and he's cruising in at 60%.

- Nathan Smith looks exactly like other Nathan Smith but in Jay Beagle's jersey. None of this is good.

- go away, Klimovich.

- Bains and Sasson had good energy tonight although both looked a bit smallish/weak on the puck and had trouble penetrating into dangerous areas (giggity).

- Lankinen was ... okish. Both of the first two goals looked bad although both were (very slight) deflections. Not going to comment too much as he's had a crazy week.
Thing about Tocchet hockey is it requires the players to play really freaking hard. I don’t think it makes sense for the vets to actually do that in preseason. As long as they are going hard in practice then it’s fine.
We saw the same thing last preseason, seems like everything is ass and once the season started, everyone just dialed the intensity up to 11.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I saw klimovich doing only 1 good thing the whole game. He dumped the puck in and was first to the puck on retrieval. That was it... I made note of it

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thing about Tocchet hockey is it requires the players to play really freaking hard. I don’t think it makes sense for the vets to actually do that in preseason. As long as they are going hard in practice then it’s fine.
We saw the same thing last preseason, seems like everything is ass and once the season started, everyone just dialed the intensity up to 11.

For sure.

Pettersson is the only one I'm legitimately concerned about, given the way he completely checked out last year. I was really hoping to see some fire from someone with a point to prove right from the start of things this year.

Reactions: ephmrl and cc

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

- go away, Klimovich.

Myers has been playing like he gives a s***, which I admire. Good leadership.

Reactions: MS and sting101

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
While I completely appreciate everybody with the nice comments, just please remember to use the report function if you see something that’s inappropriate.

I’m trying to be extremely lenient in the preseason to all parties, so I’m going to probably stand back on some of the decisions, but let’s just all respect each other and treat people with respect, even if some people are looking for conflict.

We’re all Canucks fans here, let’s refrain from the personal attacks on all sides.

Thanks guys!

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
For sure.

Pettersson is the only one I'm legitimately concerned about, given the way he completely checked out last year. I was really hoping to see some fire from someone with a point to prove right from the start of things this year.
Dude was one of the first ones to show up to early camp. I think he’s showing he cares in different ways.

Myers has been playing like he gives a s***, which I admire. Good leadership.
He just hates the Kraken haha

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dude was one of the first ones to show up to early camp. I think he’s showing he cares in different ways.

I want him to show he cares by moving his f***ing feet and wanting the puck and wanting to be a difference maker.

I said about Kravtsov last year that there's a difference between 'trying' and 'competing'. f***ing compete. You're paid a lot of money to.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Given the lineup they sent to Seattle to play the mostly opening-night Kraken team, this was almost a 'guaranteed loss' night. In a game like this, you're just focused on individual players, not the final score.

Lankinen seemed to get stronger and more focused as the night wore on. Took him awhile to shake off the rust. I thought Blais helped himself with some heavy hits on the forecheck. And Bains was probably the best of the forwards, but is still ticketed or another year in Abbotsford.

The Sherwood experiment with Pettersson and Debrusk seemed to whimper to a close quickly. He's a hard forechecker, but just not enough skill. I suppose the next guy who might get an audition is Hoglander. But the reality, this line has looked its most dangerous with Lekkerimaki. His pucks skills and shot really round out this trio. I'm sure he'll be back on this line before the end of pre-season.

Hugely impressed with Kudryavtsev and Mynio. Felton was also good, but he's older. Kudryavtsev loves to push the pace and join the rush, and his head-manning skills were off-the charts in this game. And Mynio is just a great skater and is a lock for Abbotsford next season after he finishes he junior career in the Dub.

Can see why Kudryavtsev was voted the most underrated d-man in the OHL last season......and you can see the reason why they felt comfortable trading Brzustewicz. There's no way he's heading back to junior, at least based on his play tonight.

Just not convinced that Suter and Blueger are the answer as the third and fourth line centers. Raty and Sasson may not replace them this year. But they're knocking on the door.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I want him to show he cares by moving his f***ing feet and wanting the puck and wanting to be a difference maker.

I said about Kravtsov last year that there's a difference between 'trying' and 'competing'. f***ing compete. You're paid a lot of money to.
It’s the f***ing preseason, just f***ing let it go. Every vet is treating it like a cardio session for a reason.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It’s the f***ing preseason, just f***ing let it go. Every vet is treating it like a cardio session for a reason.

Hehe remember OJ? Can't even handle a cardio session.

In any case, yeah it's not a big deal. I believe our boys will get into form when the bell tolls.

Up until then, let our coaching staff work out the roster.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

When you quit on your team the previous year but get an $11 million contract anyway, it's not 'just the f***ing preseason' for you.

Any other player, yeah. But this guy has used up a lot of rope at this point.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
When you quit on your team the previous year but get an $11 million contract anyway, it's not 'just the f***ing preseason' for you.

Any other player, yeah. But this guy has used up a lot of rope at this point.
I do agree he probably should pick up the pace, but I am also in agreement that it’s just preseason, I’m kind of in the middle.

I just wanna see more assertive play honestly

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Any other player, yeah. This guy has used up a lot of rope at this point.
Dude stop with the whole quit on your team narrative. He played through an injury and surprisingly his drop in play maps almost 1 to 1 when he got his injury.
If he had like a paper cut and refused to play through that, that’s quitting on the team.

If you want to criticize him, at least be correct about it and just say he f***ing sucks whenever he is injured.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
of the new guys, forbort has looked legit bad, heinen has looked like nothing, debrusk you can see what he can do although he’s not really doing too much of it yet, and sherwood is probably going to be the fan favourite that motte was

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hehe remember OJ? Can't even handle a cardio session.

In any case, yeah it's not a big deal. I believe our boys will get into form when the bell tolls.

Up until then, let our coaching staff work out the roster.
Yeah we already had reports that Toc has been running some pretty intense practice sessions so it makes sense the vets look like they are treating this like a cardio session.

This is the time to go hard in practice, preseason game is basically extra games to make owners money and the priority is to not get hurt,

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Telecast was AHL level. Lots of the fans going nuts to get on the screen. Replays and such in the middle of the play. Goofy camera angles where you can only see the players skates.

Thought annoucing was good but the overuse of graphics was gimicky, overly gaudy and more of an unneeded disruption than being entertaining.

Canucks got a look at some of the young dmen and all of them did well enough. Felton (I think a big surprise so far) Kudryvatsev, Mynio showed promise. They appeared to have some future.

You might wonder if any of these players see some time up with the main team. Unlikely. But watching them made me think of McWard. I think he is above any of these players. You wonder how close he might be to playing on the bottom pairing. If he could aid the breakout and up-ice offense of a third pairing with Desharnais, then that might solve a problem. Desharnais and Forbert seems less and less likely to work.

Lankanien was little unfortunate on some of the goals given the late deflections. Looked little uncomfortable throughout and seemed the place holder he is. Silvos is going to have to bear the load.

Most disapointing aspect was the play of the Boston pick ups. Heinen and DeBrusk did little and Forbert was well... Forbert. You hope that playing on structured, well coached team l (that was helped by outstanding goaltending) didn't hide some problems.

One vet that took a step up was Blais. Others need to cut ASAP. These include

Klimovich
Smith
Karlsson

Also I don't see Sassons or Bains making the team although each have had some good moments.

Could legitmately say Forbert as well but that is not going to happen.

And the Juniors need to be dispatched back to Junior or to farm

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I do agree he probably should pick up the pace, but I am also in agreement that it’s just preseason, I’m kind of in the middle.

I just wanna see more assertive play honestly

We've had two separate *LONG* periods now where Pettersson had gone from a 100 point/Selke level C and then just ... quit moving his feet and completely checked out and turned into a 40-point floater over a large sample size.

He's now getting $11 million. Be a leader. Move your feet.

Quinn Hughes looked like God in his one preseason game and doesn't seem to have a problem with this.

If we see the Pettersson that turned up for the last 30 games + playoffs last year, his contract is the worst contract in the NHL. This is a big deal.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
For sure.

What about Boeser.If I was looking for a new contract I'd want to look a little better.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Derek Forbort was a decent defenseman with the LA Kings. He looked rather slow and shitty in Calgary and Winnipeg but somehow looked serviceable in Boston.

You can now see the effects of the mileage and all the injuries now.

Looking like a slight error here. Should have gone with a PTO.

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad