Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] GM03 | Kraken def. Canucks | 3-1 (Myers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dude stop with the whole quit on your team narrative. He played through an injury and surprisingly his drop in play maps almost 1 to 1 when he got his injury.
If he had like a paper cut and refused to play through that, that’s quitting on the team.

If you want to criticize him, at least be correct about it and just say he f***ing sucks whenever he is injured.

Having a small knock doesn't mean you can't move your f***ing feet and compete.

His performances are bipolar to an extent that I've literally never seen from an NHL player in 30+ years of following this sport very closely. And it goes along with crappy body language.

An $11 million player should not be invisible in a preseason game. McDavid or MacKinnon are not invisible in preseason games. Quinn Hughes was blatantly the best player on the ice in our first preseason game.

What about Boeser.If I was looking for a new contract I'd want to look a little better.

Boeser is coming off a serious health issue and a good season and excellent playoffs so I'm not going to be remotely critical of preseason performances.

Reactions: Lemmiwinks

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
- best thing about this game was the performance of the 3 young defenders but in particular Christian Felton who made everything look easy despite playing with an ogre of a partner. Great skating and edgework, great poise and handling of the forecheck, did everything quickly and accurately. Also made one great cross-seam pass to Boeser for one of the team's better chances tonight. If he can go to Abbotsford and do this for a month, he's going to jump into the team's top 5 or 7 prospects.

- likewise Kudryatsev and Mynio were also both very good. Best game I've ever seen Kudryatsev play and it was against the best competition I've seen him play against so that's a hell of a good thing. Mynio was soft on his coverage on the 3-1 goal but otherwise skated well, made a good recovery on a breakaway chance against.
Felton did alright but he's 24. WYSIWYG, probably. I was more impressed with Kudryavtsev and Mynio relative to their ages.

Bains gives me Linden Vey vibes. Looks a bit too small and slow for the NHL despite making a crafty play here and there.

I warned people last season when they were getting excited by Bains' points totals in the AHL, that his upside was NHL 4th-liner. Too much of a one-trick pony offensively in the AHL (nice pass, nice pass, nice pass). Hockey sense, effort levels and passing skills are NHL-calibre but just about everything else is still deficient as his 24th birthday approaches.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Felton did alright but he's 24. WYSIWYG, probably. I was more impressed with Kudryavtsev and Mynio relative to their ages.

That's fair but both of those guys had a quality veteran partner they could defer to.

Felton skated the best of the 3, made things look the easiest of the 3, and was chained to Forbort who looked absolutely horrific. The quick, instinctive things Felton was doing - both in terms of footwork and puck skills - to evade the forecheck and move the puck were legitimately *whoa* to me. If we had signed some 29 year old guy to a 4x4 contract and he tossed out the game that Felton did tonight I would have been 'looks pretty good'.

But yeah, Kudryatsev was also very good. Mynio was good ... but there were a lot more issues in his play than the other two.

Reactions: wonton15

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Having a small knock doesn't mean you can't move your f***ing feet and compete.

His performances are bipolar to an extent that I've literally never seen from an NHL player in 30+ years of following this sport very closely. And it goes along with crappy body language.

An $11 million player should not be invisible in a preseason game. McDavid or MacKinnon are not invisible in preseason games. Quinn Hughes was blatantly the best player on the ice in our first preseason game.

Boeser is coming off a serious health issue and a good season and excellent playoffs so I'm not going to be remotely critical of preseason performances.
Small knock? Having your load bearing tendon inflamed is not really a small knock.
Hell having a load bearing tendon inflamed would actually lead to any sane person to stop moving their feet less because that’s what our bodies are evolved to do. Pain is a feature, not a bug.

I think players who are exceptionally skaters just looks visibly better than everyone especially in preseason. Quinn wasn’t actually trying and he looks even better because the other team isn’t really trying that hard to forecheck.

for Boeser, it’s not like it’s some kind of recurring injury. Sure it might happen if he blocks a shot and get another bone bruise and he doesn’t move around and wear tight pants and restricts his blood flow. But what are the odds of that happening again. Its weird to say oh yeah Boeser should really take it easy when his injury is the one that is actually really unlikely to happen again.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
That's fair but both of those guys had a quality veteran partner they could defer to.

Felton skated the best of the 3, made things look the easiest of the 3, and was chained to Forbort who looked absolutely horrific. The quick, instinctive things Felton was doing - both in terms of footwork and puck skills - to evade the forecheck and move the puck were legitimately *whoa* to me. If we had signed some 29 year old guy to a 4x4 contract and he tossed out the game that Felton did tonight I would have been 'looks pretty good'.

But yeah, Kudryatsev was also very good. Mynio was good ... but there were a lot more issues in his play than the other two.

Thing is, Kudryavtsev wasn't really deferring much. That was an eye-catching performance for a 20-year-old who was drafted in the 7th round. I think the make-or-break question with him will be whether or not he'll be able to defend down low. But his ability to read the unfolding situation, make wise decisions with his positioning and good plays with the puck were way above what I would've expected. He's almost certainly going to get a chance at some point down the road.

Felton did as well as could be hoped for when paired with Forbort who was a sluggo out there, but 24 is an age where future improvement is typically not much, and you and I both know that NCAA UFA's rarely stick in the NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Small knock? Having your load bearing tendon inflamed is not really a small knock.
Hell having a load bearing tendon inflamed would actually lead to any sane person to stop moving their feet less because that’s what our bodies are evolved to do. Pain is a feature, not a bug.

I think players who are exceptionally skaters just looks visibly better than everyone especially in preseason. Quinn wasn’t actually trying and he looks even better because the other team isn’t really trying that hard to forecheck.

for Boeser, it’s not like it’s some kind of recurring injury. Sure it might happen if he blocks a shot and get another bone bruise and he doesn’t move around and wear tight pants and restricts his blood flow. But what are the odds of that happening again. Its weird to say oh yeah Boeser should really take it easy when his injury is the one that is actually really unlikely to happen again.

Boeser had a weird offseason. And still looks better than Pettersson.

Dude got an $11.6 million contract. There are no f***ing excuses. He should be a leader for this team and - like any star player getting paid like that - should be an obvious impact player against shitty preseason squads even when cruising at 80%.

This player has used up every once of goodwill I have at this point. Do better. Work. Compete.

Thing is, Kudryavtsev wasn't really deferring much. That was an eye-catching performance for a 20-year-old who was drafted in the 7th round. I think the make-or-break question with him will be whether or not he'll be able to defend down low. But his ability to read the unfolding situation, make wise decisions with his positioning and good plays with the puck were way above what I would've expected. He's almost certainly going to get a chance at some point down the road.

Felton did as well as could be hoped for when paired with Forbort who was a sluggo out there, but 24 is an age where future improvement is typically not much, and you and I both know that NCAA UFA's rarely stick in the NHL.

Kudryatsev, again, was also very good. And it bodes very well for him. But he was also playing with Myers who was having a great game and skating miles and he wasn't quite as accurate defensively as Felton.

I know he's old and blah blah blah but Felton was just so *crisp*. Everything he did looked easy, like he was a 10-year vet cruising his way through this game carrying his shitty pylon of a partner.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Dude got an $11.6 million contract. There are no f***ing excuses. He should be a leader for this team and - like any star player getting paid like that - should be an obvious impact player against shitty preseason squads even when cruising at 80%.

This player has used up every once of goodwill I have at this point. Do better. Work. Compete.
Boeser needs to earn a contract and he’s coming off an injury that is highly unlikely to repeat.
Petey might have a chronic thing that he needs to manage, at least we know it’s not completely healed yet and he’s just working around it.

It’s completely irrational for anyone to want the guy with the chronic injury to go all out when it doesn’t matter and for the guy with a non chronic injury to take it easy when actually everything is on the line for him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking at the play of the three young d-men tonight, you can see why Woo and Brisebois were early casualties and headed to Abbotsford, And I suspect Wolanin will soon join them.

In fact if you were to base your defensive pairings strictly on performances in training camp and pre-season games, the next two 'casualties' on the list would be Juulsen and Forbort. Juulsen has had tough camp, and I was worried about the Forbort signing from the beginning. He's a big body, but his play was really starting to back up badly in Boston last season.

Of the young guys, Mynio has been impressive, but at 19 he needs another strong season in the Dub, and hopefully a spot on Canada's World Jr. Team. And although I loved that Kudryavtsev pairing with Myers tonight, he's still barely 20 and probably would benefit from AHL seasoning. But in his post-game presser, Tocchet singled him out, as being a guy who ever since Development Camp; through the prospects tournament; and the main camp has really impressed him

The dark-horse is Felton. He's older and at times looks like a young Chris Tanev out there. He has the mobility and puck skills that this defense sorely lacks once you get past Hughes and Hronek.

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
Wow glad I didn't watch this one..

I never thought EP would become a whipping boy but he sort of deserves it with his mopey body language and pissy interviews. He is currently on the path of becoming west coast Marner with that bloated contract...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Boeser needs to earn a contract and he’s coming off an injury that is highly unlikely to repeat.
Petey might have a chronic thing that he needs to manage, at least we know it’s not completely healed yet and he’s just working around it.

It’s completely irrational for anyone to want the guy with the chronic injury to go all out when it doesn’t matter and for the guy with a non chronic injury to take it easy when actually everything is on the line for him.

Pettersson's last 3 months of last season were an embarrassment for a player of his calibre.

I don't think it's unfair to a) expect him to come out with some fire to prove a point, and b) just generally be a leader with his new contract and compete hard in preseason the way guys like Hughes and Myers have.

These two games have looked *identical* to the disaster he had at the end of last year and if you aren't at least mildly concerned your head is in the sand. There obviously shouldn't be any panic until this happens in the regular season but concern is 100% justified.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hmmn i didn't actually think Felton was that good. Had some moments and skated well but his hinge regroup is weak and he's weak on a hard forecheck and even though he makes good decisions he doesnt have a shot of note either. Looks like a sound player for Abby though.

Mynio is already at 19 good at handling a hard forecheck sending a quick up or a hinge regroup. Head is up 4 way plus mobility with a better frame. Solid pro fundamentals just needs strength and a bit of attitude. He's legit. Hope he makes the U20 team

Kudryavtsev looked good too. Makes really good vertical passes and is agile with a stout powerful core. backward skating isn't that good but has presence poise and an offensive knack. Should be able to make some traction as a pro

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Pettersson's last 3 months of last season were an embarrassment for a player of his calibre.

I don't think it's unfair to a) expect him to come out with some fire to prove a point, and b) just generally be a leader with his new contract and compete hard in preseason the way guys like Hughes and Myers have.

These two games have looked *identical* to the disaster he had at the end of last year and if you aren't at least mildly concerned your head is in the sand. There obviously shouldn't be any panic until this happens in the regular season but concern is 100% justified.
yeah he had a knee tendon injury and you could tell he couldn’t shoot the way he’s used to and it really affected his game. So yeah, injured player played like he is injured, what’s so revelatory about that?

If anything do you want him to go all in during a preseason game and risk reinjuring himself? it makes no f***ing sense. Go all out in the season, not in the f***ing preseason. Preseason games are meant to be like warmups and should be approached with caution so you don’t end up like Doughty or end up getting stupid injuries like Nylander.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
yeah he had a knee tendon injury and you could tell he couldn’t shoot the way he’s used to and it really affected his game. So yeah, injured player played like he is injured, what’s so revelatory about that?

If anything do you want him to go all in during a preseason game and risk reinjuring himself? it makes no f***ing sense. Go all out in the season, not in the f***ing preseason. Preseason games are meant to be like warmups and should be approached with caution so you don’t end up like Doughty or end up getting stupid injuries like Nylander.

An $11.6 million player should be one of the best players on the ice even cruising at 80% in a preseason game.

These are not high expectations. The excuses you’re making for this guy are ridiculous.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria

Pre-season RAGE is hilarious. LEAVE YOUR BLOOD ON THE ICE FOR MEANINGLESS GAMES! GRRRR!

Miller hasn't played a single game yet. Thoughts on that?

MILLER IS THE BIGGEMEST QUITTER EVAR! HE HASN'T EBEN BOTHERED TO PLAY A GAME YET!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Not gonna lie it is tough watching Pettersson be so ordinary. Elite players need to hold themselves to higher standards. He should be much more dangerous even if for just 4 or 5 shifts where he shows why he got that contract and why he should be feared

Reactions: MS

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
An $11.6 million player should be one of the best players on the ice even cruising at 80% in a preseason game.

These are not high expectations. The excuses you’re making for this guy are ridiculous.
It’s f***ing preseason, just let it go. If he’s shit in the season then f***ing go for it.

This is so f***ing ridiculous, especially coming from you. You make it seem like him sucking is a choice that he has made purposefully and he happens to make that choice whenever he is injured and only when he is injured. Repeat that and tell me how much sense that makes. An injured player decides to suck when he is injured and decides not to suck when he is not injured and the injury is not a factor at all. Like wtf are you talking about?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pre-season RAGE is hilarious. LEAVE YOUR BLOOD ON THE ICE FOR MEANINGLESS GAMES! GRRRR!

MILLER IS THE BIGGEMEST QUITTER EVAR! HE HASN'T EBEN BOTHERED TO PLAY A GAME YET!

It's not 'rage'.

It's expecting an $11 million player to compete and be noticeable *especially* after his embarrassing end to last season, instead of being invisible and probably less noticeable than AHLers like Arshdeep Bains.

If you go around the league and look at the players around the league earning $11 million, they don't have preseason games like this and they most certainly don't have 40-game stretches as pathetic as what Pettersson tossed out there to end last year.

Again : it's obviously not make-or-break or time to panic. But it's legitimately concerning to see him pick up essentially right where he left off last season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s f***ing preseason, just let it go. If he’s shit in the season then f***ing go for it.

This is so f***ing ridiculous, especially coming from you. You make it seem like him sucking is a choice that he has made purposefully and he happens to make that choice whenever he is injured and only when he is injured. Repeat that and tell me how much sense that makes. An injured player decides to suck when he is injured and decides not to suck when he is not injured and the injury is not a factor at all. Like wtf are you talking about?

He looks to me like a player who when everything isn't perfect for him just totally checks out on his team. It's happened twice now for very large sample sizes covering like 40% of his career. Poor effort, poor compete, poor body language.

When you get paid $11.6 million *this is not an option*. I don't care if you're taking an ambulance to the rink, you'd better show up at the rink every night with your tail up willing to work.

And as I'll keep repeating : of course it's preseason. Of course we're not at a panic point. But when last season ended as shockingly embarrassingly disastrous as it did for him, you'd certainly hope to see some jump in his step to make you feel a little better that all that is behind him. Instead these two games have looked basically like more of the same. And if you aren't concerned, your head is in the sand. Come on.

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024

Maybe EP should not have played a game yet either if he's still injured. He can go sit in the hyperbaric chamber until he's ready.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hmmn i didn't actually think Felton was that good. Had some moments and skated well but his hinge regroup is weak and he's weak on a hard forecheck and even though he makes good decisions he doesnt have a shot of note either. Looks like a sound player for Abby though.

Seriously?

To me that was about as good as you'll ever see a rookie defender handle a forecheck. Everything was processed quickly and accurately, puck was on his stick, off his stick to good areas. All kinds of poise.

Other than Hughes who is obviously a totally different animal the last rookie D I saw who looked like that was Troy Stecher who was very obviously immediately up-to-pace when jumping up multiple levels for his first preseason.

Disagree also about the skating. Edgework was excellent and he wasn't in a hint of trouble all night. Only mistake I remember was a theoretically well-executed play to Forbort where his pass nicked the edge of the back of the net and didn't reach Forbort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad