Post-Game Talk: Pre-season 9/30 NY Rangers 3 Bruins 2

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I too have not been too impressed with him....there is something off about him. I guess to me, he just does not make his own chances...he just seems to be the beneficiary of other's work. But it's preseason and I have been known to be wrong....a lot.
Just ask my wife.

:laugh:We'll leave wives out of this.

7bostonhockey*

He is? Who is he playing with again?

He was one of the noticeable forwards tonight. Bursts of speed and some skill with the puck versus the other AHL grinders playing dump and chase all night.

Who is he playing against?

Ahlers,rookies, tryout players and back up goalies for the most part so far.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
I like Talbot's game

Talbot is worthless

I like Koko

Koko sucks

I like Trotman

Trotman is mediocre

Connolly has some skill

Connolly stinks

Etc....

Etc..........

Etc...............

And all from tonight's preseason GDT.

If the B's brass are even remotely as polarizing as the opinions in the preseason GDT....oh boy are the B's ******D. :laugh:

BBFan417

Mar 5, 2007
The 3-2 score was definitely not indicative of the play. Missing almost the entire D-corps, and nearly every one of our scorers and the kids kept up. Outplayed even. Very promising.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Who is he playing against?

Ahlers,rookies, tryout players and back up goalies for the most part so far.

This is hockey not the NBA where an individual makes all the difference. Koko can't do it alone regardless of who the opposition was. Although tonight for example he played against the NHL Rangers and managed to stand out as being a player potentially destined for more than the 4th line role 90% of our forwards tonight were playing for.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I like Talbot's game

Talbot is worthless

I like Koko

Koko sucks

I like Trotman

Trotman is mediocre

Connolly has some skill

Connolly stinks

Etc....

Etc..........

Etc...............

And all from tonight's preseason GDT.

If the B's brass are even remotely as polarizing as the opinions in the preseason GDT....oh boy are the B's ******D. :laugh:

Different people can't have different opinions?

Connolly to me didn't impress tonight. Pulled up every chance he had to finish a check for example. First goal was lucky (for him, that Hayes made that play), second goal was some nice hand eye that never (rarely) happens in an NHL setting.

Trotman never has impressed me, until tonight. I thought he was great tonight. Someone can like Talbot's game (grinding role, leadership, affordable) but think he isn't very good at it as well. He did have a nice deflection at one point early on. Otherwise, he was there. OK. Is being there better than a younger player "being there" while also gaining NHL experience?

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Trotman was the best defenseman on ice tonight.
The thought of Irwin being in our lineup opening night scares me. His foot speed and decision making are big red flags.

Chara--Colin
Krug--Trotman
Morrow--McQuaid

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I don't know about everyone else here, but I'm more than a little encouraged about the team after some of these preseason games. Was fairly impressed tonight considering the lineup.

This.

I'm all about the effort and being entertained. As long as the Bruins are trying and the product on the ice reflects that, then personally I'm ok with bridge year. I do think that this team has the chops to be a playoff contender in the 6-8 spot. I think there's too much experience and skill in key positions for this squad to miss out on the playoffs two year in a row.

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
He is? Who is he playing with again?

He was one of the noticeable forwards tonight. Bursts of speed and some skill with the puck versus the other AHL grinders playing dump and chase all night.

Tonight was the first preseason game that I semi paid attention to and Koko's skill was clearly evident . We aren't exactly overloaded with skilled forwards ,I hope he makes the team.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I think the team plays better with Rinaldo and Randell in the line up. Makes me wonder if Randell gets sent down and Rinaldo ends up 13th forward how polarizing the line up becomes. Last game against Detroit gave me a sort of glimpse of it. Well played game but not enough emotion to push beyond normal effort.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trotman was the best defenseman on ice tonight.
The thought of Irwin being in our lineup opening night scares me. His foot speed and decision making are big red flags.

Chara--Colin
Krug--Trotman
Morrow--McQuaid

Boy you just wrote my D group.

I was thinking this same exactly during the game.

Krug has to be in the top4 but I don't want Mcquaid on the top4 so that leaves Trotman with Krug and Colin with Chara, because Krug-Colin would kill Claude :laugh: and Morrow.McQuaid pairing should work well.

Puck mover/skater on every pairing and a bit more stay at home D also on every pairing.

I've been impressed how physical Colin is, when he goes to the corners he goes to the corners and is willing to stand up at the blueline and doesn't always just skate back.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
There's no way Max Talbot should play over 19 minutes in 2015, preseason or not. Just no.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I guess I'm in the minority. I thought Connolly looked solid in his other pre-season games as well. Seems he's being held to a higher standard. Maybe it's his draft position. Maybe it's the price it cost to acquire him. Right now.. yeah.... he's probably a streaky 3rd line winger. I've said before he reminds me of Pouliot. Not the type to pick it up the neutral zone and make something from nothing. He made his first goal happen with a great off-wing pass to Hayes. Also made a beautiful cross ice feed to Miller in the 2nd though a maze of players for a prime scoring chance. I think 15-20 goals/15-20 assists is his range. Same draft as Spooner. I know he looks like he's 46, but he still just 23.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I guess I'm in the minority. I thought Connolly looked solid in his other pre-season games as well. Seems he's being held to a higher standard. Maybe it's his draft position. Maybe it's the price it cost to acquire him. Right now.. yeah.... he's probably a streaky 3rd line winger. I've said before he reminds me of Pouliot. Not the type to pick it up the neutral zone and make something from nothing. He made his first goal happen with a great off-wing pass to Hayes. Also made a beautiful cross ice feed to Miller in the 2nd though a maze of players for a prime scoring chance. I think 15-20 goals/15-20 assists is his range. Same draft as Spooner. I know he looks like he's 46, but he still just 23.

Exactly. He's 23, has dealt with some growing pains...but at the salary he is making, all we should expect is a top nine shooting winger. I hope he finds rhythm with his linemates because he is in a great situation. At the very least if he plays a somewhat power game and makes space for spooner, Hayes does the same...I expect some good production. They looked good tonight.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Agree with you on this one. Big,slow,soft Don't see him in the opener either

Well, you got one out of three.

Kemp moves well for his size and he is not soft. Are you just assuming that because he's Euro, because if you watched the games so far, he has finished a bunch of checks and has no fear of the corners.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Imagine if that Spooner line really clicks?

Hayes, big body in corners and parked in front of net for screen and rebounds
Connolly Great shot, triggerman for the line, put pucks on net, cause rebounds.
Spooner, creative passing and speed, slick, perfect set up man..I also think Spooner has a great shot too..not just all passing.

Gamble but really could be an effective 3rd line, especially matched up against other teams bottom 6.

Get bergy line going with Loui and Beleskey going with Krejci and pasta.

I really do like the potential our forward group has here...but man...there are so many risks/question marks.

Hope it all comes together, a nice preview of what that Spooner line could look like. Rangers had lots of starters and Lundqvist in net too. So nice to see our top line produce tonight.

Unfortunately, Spooner will outgrow his wingers by December.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Unfortunately, Spooner will outgrow his wingers by December.

Hayes has looked good. In general. Connelly is at least a 3rd line winger. If anything, there is a lot of upside to that line. I think this is a great opportunity for all of these players to stand up and make a difference. Not one of them should underachieve this year. I would be surprised if they did.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Well, you got one out of three.

Kemp moves well for his size and he is not soft. Are you just assuming that because he's Euro, because if you watched the games so far, he has finished a bunch of checks and has no fear of the corners.

I like Kemp and Kelly. The big question is whether Rinaldo, Talbot, Randell or even Blidh fill in one of the wings. Kelly can play anywhere. You need to keep him. Plug in guys as needed depending on team strategy against certain opponents.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
I will be shocked if he's not sent down or sent packing

Me too. I just don't get the love for this guy. He reminds me of Hagelin, another guy that seems to get the love and I don't know why. They just bomb around all over the place with no purpose. I don't know how CH even gets the 30-35ish pts he puts up. And I'm really getting bummed about Connolly...really had a good feeling about that trade.

Vatrano

Rask is ELITE
Feb 19, 2014
Rhode Island
Hayes has looked good. In general. Connelly is at least a 3rd line winger. If anything, there is a lot of upside to that line. I think this is a great opportunity for all of these players to stand up and make a difference. Not one of them should underachieve this year. I would be surprised if they did.

The thing is everyone on that line is fighting for a contract and is trying to make a name for themselves here in Boston. Spooner definitely has the highest upside but Connolly and Hayes can both put up at least 15-20. I can see spooner scoring 20 and putting up 30 assists.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Frankly I don't get the love affair with Kemp...sure he is a smart positionally and solid defensive guy...but that is it. He is like a slower Chris Kelly with less offensive upside. Why do we need another Chris Kelly? Having him and kelly on the same line is redundant. A line of kelly-kemp-Rinaldo would be okay...I guess.

Also Randall...Randell...whatever his name is, I was not at all impressed with him. he did nothing and did not look all that impressive in his bout.

From what I saw tonight,I would agree about Kemp ,he looks slow with little offensive ability but it was only one game.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I like Koko and hope we keep him. I think he's the type of player that scores when it counts. He's going to need to seize an opportunity if he wants to do it here though

Agree. He has nice skills but is blocked. I'll be surprised if he can force his way into the Boston line-up.

Like Spooner, his best opportunity will come if injuries happen.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

I don't know about everyone else here, but I'm more than a little encouraged about the team after some of these preseason games. Was fairly impressed tonight considering the lineup.

I expect them to end up in the top 4 in the East. They will be fun to watch this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad