GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Last summer, installing talent was an option. They went with and continue to lean into not block prospects. Not for nothing but f*** prospects - start icing a winning team.
That's the infuriating thing: last offseason there was actually positive momentum and people around the league were starting to think "finally, the Sabres are on the right track and about to break through" and instead of capitalizing on this he did nothing.

Nope, scratch that: he gave Granato an extension he absolutely didn't need to give that took the option of sacking him in December to try and salvage the season off the table

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Where exactly are we deep? There are plenty of rosters and organizations that are deeper. There are as talented teams, and far more of those talented teams are much more prepared to succeed in the NHL. We have an abundance of potential and that’s all this roster is.
The current Buffalo Sabres may actually be the deepest team in nhl history

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Man, I hope I haven't wasted the past two days refreshing a lot only for them to use all their draft picks tonight. I want some action. I've wanted some for a while now. I feel like a husband in a dead bedroom marriage!

Reactions: Fjordy

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
At this point though, he has played out his cache of good will about being in on incomplete transactions. We don’t need to here it, it holds no benefit.

So I get the bottom line mentality. But sports is like gambling, results oriented thinking isn't a sound strategy. Especially not in a sport with the variance of hockey.

Reactions: HOOats

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I'm really torn.

On one hand, I think Adams knows he MUST make a big move. My gut is telling me Necas will be a Sabre before the day is over, for 14 and a prospect. (Not saying I agree with it, just making a prediction)

On the other hand, I cannot get past history. Adams sits on his hands, and I think it is just as likely that we just use all our picks this weekend and, come Sunday, the only roster move is a Skinner buyout.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Man, I hope I haven't wasted the past two days refreshing a lot only for them to use all their draft picks tonight. I want some action. I've wanted some for a while now. I feel like a husband in a dead bedroom marriage!
Forton: Kevyn, we need to use all the picks in the draft.

Karmanos: But we also need to improve the team.

Ventura: I can help both there and there.

Adams: Lindy, what do you think of Jerry's idea? This draft seems so strong and deep.

Ruff: Kevyn go f*** yourself!

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Why do you HAVE to? Is this the only way to rebuild?
It is the way they chose to rebuild. Which means you need to recognize and accept the lack of big moves because you were told it wasn't going to happen as part of the process.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Stop right there. We've gone through the process. We've gone through 13 years of the process. Teams that didn't exist the last time we made the playoffs have been to the finals multiple times. Another team that didn't exsist when Adams started as GM won a playoff round last year.

This GM took over a .500 team with a three top 2 draft picks, who haven't been busts, and drove it straight off a cliff in less than a year. Two of top 2 draft picks he traded away went on to be the Conn Smythe runner up and one just scored the cup clinching goal.

I am 41 years old. I haven't seen a Sabres playoff game since I was single. I'm married with two kids now about to start school. I've lived in seven different apartments/townhomes/houses. Last time the Sabres were in the playoffs I was in a bar doing shots with my friends.

We've gone through the process. Multiple times. Enough is enough.
There is your problem. KA does not care about the previous 9 years. He made a decision to rebuild from scratch, which means you need at least 3 years drafting compiling picks and evaluating your core players. Your frustration and impatience does not warrant a knock on Adams for sticking to his plan.

Again, this no longer applies AFTER this offseason as the team has shifted out of the rebuild phase. So, do something Darcy,

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Forton: Kevyn, we need to use all the picks in the draft.

Karmanos: But we also need to improve the team.

Ventura: I can help both there and there.

Adams: Lindy, what do you think of Jerry's idea? This draft seems so strong and deep.

Ruff: Kevyn go f*** yourself!
The Granato firing + the Ruff hiring + the likely Skinner buyout has me optimistic that Adams is starting to get it. Skinner was, by all accounts, loved in the locker-room. The easy move would've been- 'let's see how Skinner does this year before buying him out; he's a leader in our locker-room'. It appears Adams is making the tough choice to cut ties. I like that.

Ruff being a veteran coach FINALLY gives us a voice of reason and wisdom. If he's in Adams ear, then I have a hard time believing he'd be happy with only minor moves being made. He has his idea of how the team should perform, and I doubt he believes he has the players right now to bring that vision to light.

That's my optimistic take, anyways. I'm a bit exhausted of posting my pessimistic takes. I've done that for the past 6 months, haha.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Certainly possible. It's more likely, though, that Adams was, for whatever reason, not willing to give a 2nd for a player with one year left.
I doubt that a 2025 2nd was too much for a pending UFA. I think either they didn't like the player at all or they liked him and the NTC was in the way.

The Granato firing + the Ruff hiring + the likely Skinner buyout has me optimistic that Adams is starting to get it. Skinner was, by all accounts, loved in the locker-room. The easy move would've been- 'let's see how Skinner does this year before buying him out; he's a leader in our locker-room'. It appears Adams is making the tough choice to cut ties. I like that.

Ruff being a veteran coach FINALLY gives us a voice of reason and wisdom. If he's in Adams ear, then I have a hard time believing he'd be happy with only minor moves being made. He has his idea of how the team should perform, and I doubt he believes he has the players right now to bring that vision to light.

That's my optimistic take, anyways. I'm a bit exhausted of posting my pessimistic takes. I've done that for the past 6 months, haha.
The way that Adams talked about what the roster needs yesterday, he gets it.

The problem has been that he has not been able to get the job done with regards to acquiring the players that fill the needs that he knows the roster has.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT and HOOats

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I doubt that a 2025 2nd was too much for a pending UFA. I think either they didn't like the player at all or they liked him and the NTC was in the way.
We hear all the time that Adams prioritizes team control in trades. It’s absolutely in the realm of possibility that he has ruled out totally acquiring any guys with 1 year to UFA.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Too bad you can't at least take care of yourself

And make a trade

• Haha
Reactions: Dubi Doo

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There is your problem. KA does not care about the previous 9 years. He made a decision to rebuild from scratch, which means you need at least 3 years drafting compiling picks and evaluating your core players. Your frustration and impatience does not warrant a knock on Adams for sticking to his plan.

Again, this no longer applies AFTER this offseason as the team has shifted out of the rebuild phase. So, do something Darcy,

He didn't start from the bottom though, he started with a a franchise center, a top line winger, a starting goalie, and a soon to be top pair d-man.

He had the building blocks in place. Just because he threw it all away doesn't mean he gets a fresh start. Adams has to own all of this.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We hear all the time that Adams prioritizes team control in trades. It’s absolutely in the realm of possibility that he has ruled out totally acquiring any guys with 1 year to UFA.
The last time he was in "Win Now" mode, he did trade for Staal who was in the last year of his deal.

I doubt he is completely against any trades for pending UFAs this off season with all the other challenges he has getting trades done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad