GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
No one starts with nothing. Are you saying he decided to trade Eichel and Reinhart and start over? What did he throw away? Rebuilding years? There is nothing to own except missing maybe one addition last offseason. Which would not have been enough to get them to the playoffs. If Adams submits a 4 year plan and says year 4 the rebuild phase ends, is pegula mad they didnt make the playoffs in year 3?

He's the GM, he owns all 5 years of his tenure, which have been, outside of an outlier year in 2022-2023, an abject failure. And yes, that includes the decision to move on from Eichel and Reinhart.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Sad state of affairs we find ourselves in. We can't draw in free agents, we can't draw in players to waive their NTC apparently, we can't convince players to take a discount, no playoffs for 13 years, constant revolving door of ineptitude of management and coaches, players asking out and losing their love for the game, coaches admitting its hard to win the NHL, GM's admitting they can't get deals done, players not being prepared to play, players making 8 million who haven't earned it, alumni wearing bootleg jerseys with their name misspelled and the list goes on and on.
Human sacrifice. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria!

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If you look hard enough you will find a steady percentage of non-traditional picks. Did the Sabres suffer due the learning curve for Adams? Most likely, but he had a big job and has grown into a pretty decent GM. I think one problem we have had over these 13 years is it takes a while for a GM to execute his vision. Frankly, I didn't hate Murray and if he wasn't so offensive to the Pegula's, this team may have done something if he was given another year or two with a coaching change.

Regardless, the writing is on the wall for him if he doesn't turn this thing around quick.

The sabres are flush with assets. FFS overpay if it makes this team better. Who cares if you have the best prospect pool. There is no tomorrow.

They need to stop coveting these kids and picks, and see them as currency.
The first two paragraphs are spot on.

The second two are a real slippery slope. While the team is flush with assets, they do need to be managed. They need to make sure the right players are being brought in and not in the Tim Murray (I'll overpay manner and I was a Murray fan). They have likely identified the core for this next phase and need to begin today filling in those gaps while also still adding pieces through the draft. A top 6 winger, top 4 RD for Power and a 4C would all be on my trade wish list.

If they make the pick tonight, I won't be deterred as the two seconds, future picks, Rosen, Kulich, Savoie, Kisakov, Johnson, Poltapov, rights to Joki, etc could still fill those holes while adding a premium prospect.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He's the GM, he owns all 5 years of his tenure, which have been, outside of an outlier year in 2022-2023, an abject failure. And yes, that includes the decision to move on from Eichel and Reinhart.
There was no decision to move on from Eichel, Jack already set those wheels in motion. Also sounded like Reinhart was done as well.

The only real failures that he had were not addressing the goaltending position in 21/22 (Anderson, Tokarski, Dell, Subban) and then last off-season. Last off-season was bad as we were poised to take a step and regressed.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
There was no decision to move on from Eichel, Jack already set those wheels in motion. Also sounded like Reinhart was done as well.

The only real failures that he had were not addressing the goaltending position in 21/22 (Anderson, Tokarski, Dell, Subban) and then last off-season. Last off-season was bad as we were poised to take a step and regressed.
I think the goaltending 20/21 was worse. Goaltending cost us the playoffs the season before. Adams did nothing.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
If they make the pick tonight, I won't be deterred as the two seconds, future picks, Rosen, Kulich, Savoie, Kisakov, Johnson, Poltapov, rights to Joki, etc could still fill those holes while adding a premium prospect.
Sorry, but how do you take the core guys they have under contract, layer these guys over, and have a well-constructed team? They have too many of a type all maturing during a specific window. You don't need to trade them all, and yes, some you need EL and bridge contracts to fill out a competitive roster. But what's the point of having those players if your roster isn't competitive.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY

There are a few players that cause me to have a visceral reaction of disgust when I see their names, and evidently Aaron Dell is among them. A dirty, awful hockey player. I can deal with hockey players being awful, and I can deal with some Barnaby-level skeeze, but being a dirty POS while being terrible at hockey is a bridge too far.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SundherDome

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I don't see the issue. What does he need to own? Did he piss away our rebuilding assets in bad trades? Are our prospects busting? Was this last season expected, no. We were bottom feeders with them. He did was RIGHT, not what a bunch of scorned fans want. Now, because you are sick if it, he somehow has to "own up for his mistakes" to you because they didn't make the playoffs on the first year the build was expected to. You think I am any less sick of the losing? I can at least recognize this process was given to us years ago, and he followed it to a T. Last year sucked, but this is THE year and this is THE season to judge Adams, and this team.

For Granato, he was the correct coach for this team and was a smart hire. Now he is not the coach for the team and they moved on. Another smart move.

Reactions: Dingo44

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Sorry, but how do you take the core guys they have under contract, layer these guys over, and have a well-constructed team? They have too many of a type all maturing during a specific window. You don't need to trade them all, and yes, some you need EL and bridge contracts to fill out a competitive roster. But what's the point of having those players if your roster isn't competitive.
The core, for me at least is:

C - Tage and Cozens
W - Quinn, Tuch, Benson
D - Dahlin, Power, Byram
G - UPL and Levi
Prospects - Ostlund, Wahlberg, Savoie

Everything else is available.

In the next 2-3 years, Ostlund and/or Wahlberg should be beating down the door for the 3C job. You would hope you could also develop a winger who can move up and down the lineup and a future bottom 4 RD.

The idea would be using assets and money now to fill in the gaps to stabilize the deficiencies we have now while also identifying prospects (internal/external) who can be molded into those roles.

Imo at least.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don't see the issue. What does he need to own? Did he piss away our rebuilding assets in bad trades? Are our prospects busting? Was this last season expected, no. We were bottom feeders with them. He did was RIGHT, not what a bunch of scorned fans want. Now, because you are sick if it, he somehow has to "own up for his mistakes" to you because they didn't make the playoffs on the first year the build was expected to. You think I am any less sick of the losing? I can at least recognize this process was given to us years ago, and he followed it to a T. Last year sucked, but this is THE year and this is THE season to judge Adams, and this team.

For Granato, he was the correct coach for this team and was a smart hire. Now he is not the coach for the team and they moved on. Another smart move.
I'm absolutely amazed at how people can still defend this team after the last 13 years and or Adams after the last 5. Honestly what do you tell yourself? How can I lie to myself to make myself feel better for the Buffalo Sabres because its got to be one hell of a high and I want to try it.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Marty and Duffer discussing Kadri & Coleman options with Button this morning. Of course we seen this generally does not work out for the Sabres with NMC's but just throwing it out there.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Marty and Duffer discussing Kadri & Coleman options with Button this morning. Of course we seen this generally does not work out for the Sabres with NMC's but just throwing it out there.
Of course they won't come to Buffalo because they have a f***ing NMС. Although those are two types of players I would like to add for us. But maybe we can find guys who don't have trade protection?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The core, for me at least is:

C - Tage and Cozens
W - Quinn, Tuch, Benson
D - Dahlin, Power, Byram
G - UPL and Levi
Prospects - Ostlund, Wahlberg, Savoie

Everything else is available.

In the next 2-3 years, Ostlund and/or Wahlberg should be beating down the door for the 3C job. You would hope you could also develop a winger who can move up and down the lineup and a future bottom 4 RD.

The idea would be using assets and money now to fill in the gaps to stabilize the deficiencies we have now while also identifying prospects (internal/external) who can be molded into those roles.

Imo at least.
I think Peterka rates much higher than Benson on the core meter right now. Benson had a nice season, but that was a rookie season. Gotta pump the brakes. Peterka is basically our best goal scorer (not ruling out Tage back to form). Pretty much agree otherwise.
I'm absolutely amazed at how people can still defend this team after the last 13 years and or Adams after the last 5. Honestly what do you tell yourself? How can I lie to myself to make myself feel better for the Buffalo Sabres because its got to be one hell of a high and I want to try it.
Completely incapable of taking your drought glasses off to fairly evaluate things. 5 years is after this season, 4 fielding his lineup. I say the same thing I always said, last season was the first season they could realistically push for a spot. This offseason is where they need to make moves. If they suck this year, bye Adams.

Reactions: SundherDome

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Of course they won't come to Buffalo because they have a f***ing NMС. Although those are two types of players I would like to add for us. But maybe we can find guys who don't have trade protection?
or maybe one of them would want to play for Lindy. We were fed that "narrative" earlier in week but it seems to be b.s. so far.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
or maybe one of them would want to play for Lindy. We were fed that "narrative" earlier in week but it seems to be b.s. so far.
Of course it's nonsense, Adams tearfully said yesterday that he doesn't want to play in Buffalo.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
There could also be the angle that CGY is looking to rebuild and both players are in their early 30's but not spring chicken 30's. Going to a team that flat out said we are going for it may appeal a bit more to them. That said if Conroy came to me and said Buffalo or say Nashville, I'm prob going Nashville.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A frustrating thing is that if the team was good the location becomes a positive as it's right across the bridge from Southern Ontario (where a wildly disproportionate number of players are from). Being a short drive away from your parents (and extended family/friends) would be something most people would find desirable.

Reactions: Fjordy

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I think Peterka rates much higher than Benson on the core meter right now. Benson had a nice season, but that was a rookie season. Gotta pump the brakes. Peterka is basically our best goal scorer (not ruling out Tage back to form). Pretty much agree otherwise.

Completely incapable of taking your drought glasses off to fairly evaluate things. 5 years is after this season, 4 fielding his lineup. I say the same thing I always said, last season was the first season they could realistically push for a spot. This offseason is where they need to make moves. If they suck this year, bye Adams.
Peterka was one I teeter on. He has the tools, I would just live him to develop his game to go more to the net and play better defensively. That could be a Granato thing and time will tell. I put Benson in there because as a rookie, he has good defensive tools, goes to the net and is the exact player this team needs, so I would move him. He needs to get bigger and still develop and he could fall off a cliff.

Essentially if a team called I would at least listen on Peterka but would hang up if it was Benson

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I can't speak for Adams but at least in 19/20 and 20/21 he had Ullmark. That Krueger era is something I block out, similar to the Rolston era.
19/20 Hutton was the starter at first. He fell apart in december and lost almost every game he played. Under Ullmark the team did ok. I know the collapse was historical but Hutton was the main factor driving it. I know they supposedly fixed his vision but still... to get Hall and not upgrade Hutton? Unforgiveable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad