GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Logically flawed....

Many former players became gm. What did briere and Drury and other former players to be gm?
Where didn’t say former players can’t be GMs? Show me somebody else that became GM of a major sports franchise without ever having had a front office job.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Ehlers + McGroarty would be very tempting. And I don't think they'll 100% promise him a roster spot if a trade happens. As I said before, there's always a compromise.

To me it just depends on the cost. I like Ehlers as a player, but his nagging consistent injury bug is a problem. We don't need to trade considerable assets for a player who has a problem staying on the ice. He would bring a lot of different elements to this team, but if he cannot be on the ice, what's the point. I'm not a huge McGroarty fan, but he's got a mix of middle six upside. Again, depends on the asking price.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm wary of bringing in all these veterans because of their age. Smith didn't seem to do well after Vegas. Eller would probably be a decent 4C, but not a 3C.

I agree, it would be better to trade Skinner, but the power is in his hands, I don't know why he would give up NMC for Seattle.

For now, he's fishing in his backyard pond, forgetting that there aren't even any fish in that pond.
Eller is exactly the type of player we need. His age is a concern - even if he worked out it's only a temporary fix to a long term problem - but OTOH this group is badly lacking veteran leadership.

If he's our only addition it's a problem. But if it's him plus another couple of players who fill needs I'm fine with it.

Reactions: Jim Bob and HOOats

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Seeing nothing getting done other than a trade back. No buyout (yet)

200w.gif

Reactions: HaNotsri

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Can't talk about needing professional, defensive forwards and then crap on Adams kicking the tires on guys like Smith and Eller. They're not my first choice, but they're not junk.

Smith is the better option at this point, but both had respectable years and would have been upgrades on what we rolled out. Caution is warranted re: age regression, but that should make them more affordable and lower risk. Each is on an expiring deal.

Holding out for guys who are "available," 28yo, and can score 20+ goals from the bottom 6 is going to leave us empty handed. Perfect cannot be the enemy of good here if we want to make 4-5 NHL additions.

Smith should be an average 3RW this year. His skating is still fine. Can hop into T6 in emergency. If Pittsburgh wants to shed his cap and give him away, I'd be fine with it. Smith >>> Okposo/Vic.

Screenshot_20240628_083122_The Athletic.jpgScreenshot_20240628_083139_The Athletic.jpg

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Fans forget this was a standard 3 year rebuild with a poor outcome in year one of competing. Who goes out and spends tons of money on top players to block players you are evaluating as your core? Core is set, Dahlin Samuelsson Power (probably Byram), Tage Tuch Cozens. This is the first offseason of the rebuild phase being over. KA stated that. This is the first year he is EXPECTED to make top half of roster moves. Complain about lack of moves post draft, and post FA.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fans forget this was a standard 3 year rebuild with a poor outcome in year one of competing. Who goes out and spends tons of money on top players to block players you are evaluating as your core? Core is set, Dahlin Samuelsson Power (probably Byram), Tage Tuch Cozens. This is the first offseason of the rebuild phase being over. KA stated that. This is the first year he is EXPECTED to make top half of roster moves. Complain about lack of moves post draft, and post FA.
Given how Adams talked about trades falling apart yesterday and Skinner being unwilling to waive his NMC, I can get why people are not optimistic about Adams being able to get deals over the goal line.

We tend to hear more about things that he couldn't get done (Murray and Pesce for instance) than seeing him add impactful NHL vets to this roster without having impactful NHL vets headed out.

Greenway and Clifton are the two most impactful guys that Adams has added from the outside in the past 3-4 years without a major NHLer headed out.

That's not good enough.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Serious question - what do you think the issue is? He probably did ask on this player and we know he's not afraid to meet what he perceives is equal or higher value.

I suspect it’s that they’re going to be on every no trade clause contract in the league. They are a shitty team that doesn’t seem to take teambuilding seriously so they’re gonna have to figure it out on their own or target guys who don’t have trade protection.

Mostly, I’m just tired of hearing him say that he tried. I don’t care that he tried. He didn’t get it done. Have a press conference for acquiring a player, not a press huddle to tell us how hard his job is.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
WGR this morning: Kevin Adams trade cost structure/variables have to change to be able to close deals. They have to start outbidding other teams to make deals/get players to Buffalo. I wonder if Jeremy is getting this from the inside ?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

• Teams interested in Winnipeg’s Nikolaj Ehlers prefer to have a contract extension in place if they are paying the asking price, believed to be a young NHL forward and a first-round pick. The New York Islanders are among the teams interested.
Given what Mangiapane went for, good luck getting something like 14+Quinn/Peterka/Benson for Ehlers.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Given how Adams talked about trades falling apart yesterday and Skinner being unwilling to waive his NMC, I can get why people are not optimistic about Adams being able to get deals over the goal line.

We tend to hear more about things that he couldn't get done (Murray and Pesce for instance) than seeing him add impactful NHL vets to this roster without having impactful NHL vets headed out.

Greenway and Clifton are the two most impactful guys that Adams has added from the outside in the past 3-4 years without a major NHLer headed out.

That's not good enough.
Again, rebuilding teams do not make long term splash deals, they fill the roles the best they can internally first. KA does not care about fans playoff drought. He wants to build correctly; he was never going to go make that splash play in the first 3 years just to make the playoffs and get bounced. Skinner buyout was always the plan. Trade is just a hail Mary.

Reactions: HOOats

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I suspect it’s that they’re going to be on every no trade clause contract in the league. They are a shitty team that doesn’t seem to take teambuilding seriously so they’re gonna have to figure it out on their own or target guys who don’t have trade protection.

Mostly, I’m just tired of hearing him say that he tried. I don’t care that he tried. He didn’t get it done. Have a press conference for acquiring a player, not a press huddle to tell us how hard his job is.

I don't think we're on every NTC.....but probably the vast majority.

The way the Eichel trade was handled was a huge black eye for the org, at least from a PR perspective. And the fact that the procedure has been without issue 2 years on, proving that we were wrong. And the players see us gutting the internal infrastructure, they us spending at the bottom of the league. They see the yes man GM. We are going to need guys with personal links to the org or players here.

We are not a well thought of organization. The only way to fix it is to win.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Again, rebuilding teams do not make long term splash deals, they fill the roles the best they can internally first. KA does not care about fans playoff drought. He wants to build correctly; he was never going to go make that splash play in the first 3 years just to make the playoffs and get bounced. Skinner buyout was always the plan. Trade is just a hail Mary.
If trades were a Hail Mary, then why was Adams talking about being really close to multiple trades before they fell apart in the past couple of weeks.

With Lindy and Adams talking about this being a "Win Now" season, I do not believe that he is approaching this offseason the way he has the past 3.

This will be more like that first offseason where he traded for Staal and signed Hall. He knows he can't keep slow playing it.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If trades were a Hail Mary, then why was Adams talking about being really close to multiple trades before they fell apart in the past couple of weeks.

With Lindy and Adams talking about this being a "Win Now" season, I do not believe that he is approaching this offseason the way he has the past 3.

This will be more like that first offseason where he traded for Staal and signed Hall. He knows he can't keep slow playing it.
Bolded was skinner.

He will 100% be aggressive this offseason.

Reactions: HOOats

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Can't talk about needing professional, defensive forwards and then crap on Adams kicking the tires on guys like Smith and Eller. They're not my first choice, but they're not junk.

Smith is the better option at this point, but both had respectable years and would have been upgrades on what we rolled out. Caution is warranted re: age regression, but that should make them more affordable and lower risk. Each is on an expiring deal.

Holding out for guys who are "available," 28yo, and can score 20+ goals from the bottom 6 is going to leave us empty handed. Perfect cannot be the enemy of good here if we want to make 4-5 NHL additions.

Smith should be an average 3RW this year. His skating is still fine. Can hop into T6 in emergency. If Pittsburgh wants to shed his cap and give him away, I'd be fine with it. Smith >>> Okposo/Vic.

View attachment 888462View attachment 888463
The age thing is what scares me the most. I remember Staal coming here, last season it was Johnson. I'm not against those guys, but as far as I understand there will be no deal, it didn't happen.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Fans forget this was a standard 3 year rebuild with a poor outcome in year one of competing. Who goes out and spends tons of money on top player to block players you are evaluating as your core?
How is "not blocking the prospects" working out for us?

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Are the Sabres aware if a player has a no move before discussing a deal with a Club ? Seems logical to know first before you waste the time.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

This is only somewhat fair. That deal which Murray tanked from Ottawa would have been a Darcy level fleecing. I'm willing to give partial credit for moves like that which are 100% out of the hands of the GM to take over the line. He did what was ordinarily the hard part: convincing a divisional rival to shot their own foot.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It is possible Adams will be fired before next season ends.

Was thinking of the rumor that Don Wadell met with Pegula earlier this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad