Power Play survey

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Copy and paste and then state (Yes/No) whether you agree after each statement.

Our personnel on PP1 is the ideal group and I largely love the way they operate...
The personnel on PP1 is ideal but I largely wish they operated differently...
Our PP1 personnel is not the ideal group...

Mika is a detriment to PP1 and needs to be removed...

Lafreniere should be on PP1...
Lafreniere has shown proficiency on the PP and that is why I am confident he would improve PP1...
Alignment wise, Lafreniere would fit seamlessly on PP1...
The main reason Lafreniere should be on PP1 is because it would be good for his development...

Panarin is more of a threat on the right side...
Panarin is more of a threat on the left side...

If Mika were out of the lineup, the best choice to take his place would be Chytil over Laf...

Our current PP1 should get used similar to Edmonton where they stay on the ice for as long as they can go instead of being even slightly deferential to PP2...

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Our personnel on PP1 is the ideal group and I largely love the way they operate...Yes
The personnel on PP1 is ideal but I largely wish they operated differently...No
Our PP1 personnel is not the ideal group...No

Mika is a detriment to PP1 and needs to be removed...No

Lafreniere should be on PP1...No
Lafreniere has shown proficiency on the PP and that is why I am confident he would improve PP1...No
Alignment wise, Lafreniere would fit seamlessly on PP1...No
The main reason Lafreniere should be on PP1 is because it would be good for his development...No

Panarin is more of a threat on the right side...Yes
Panarin is more of a threat on the left side...No

If Mika were out of the lineup, the best choice to take his place would be Chytil over Laf...Yes

Our current PP1 should get used similar to Edmonton where they stay on the ice for as long as they can go instead of being even slightly deferential to PP2...Yes

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Our personnel on PP1 is the ideal group and I largely love the way they operate...
No
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
Lafreniere has shown proficiency on the PP and that is why I am confident he would improve PP1...
Yes
Yes
The main reason Lafreniere should be on PP1 is because it would be good for his development...
No
No
Yes
If Mika were out of the lineup, the best choice to take his place would be Chytil over Laf...
No
Our current PP1 should get used similar to Edmonton where they stay on the ice for as long as they can go instead of being even slightly deferential to PP2...
Yes

----------------------Kreider------------
Panarin--------Trocheck---------Lafreniere
-------------------Fox-------------------

I hate how stationary our PP is, it excels in spite of this because of how skilled our guys are but I still think it could be way better. I think our PP has looked most dangerous when Panarin was on that left side, he has the better one timer than Zibanejad. Zibanejad had one very hot season but other than that he whiffs on far too many shots and is a one trick pony from that spot whereas Panarin is a dual threat. It's also not ideal to have only one left handed shot on the PP, especially when that left handed shot isn't really a shooting threat and is simply in net-front the entire time. Lafreniere would give them a left handed shooting threat. I think Lafreniere is better than Chytil because Chytil excels at rush offense moreso than controlling the puck in the offensive zone (same goes for Miller who should be taken off PP2 for Jones, Miller is great at rush offense but is too clumsy to walk the blueline & make plays). Chytil is also much less creative and less of a playmaker than Laf.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
I'm not doing whatever that yes no thing is that will make this thread unreadable.

This is simple. For YEARS we have kept the power play the same. When people wanted the kids to get a chance, we were told this gives us the best chance to win a cup. Well, we didn't. The good news is this may keep Laf more affordable because of the stupidity of not giving him the PP time he CLEARLY earned last year. Laf on, Mika off. Maybe that motivates Mika to not have his line caved 5v5 cause that's where he can start focusing his time.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I'm not doing whatever that yes no thing is that will make this thread unreadable.

This is simple. For YEARS we have kept the power play the same. When people wanted the kids to get a chance, we were told this gives us the best chance to win a cup. Well, we didn't. The good news is this may keep Laf more affordable because of the stupidity of not giving him the PP time he CLEARLY earned last year. Laf on, Mika off. Maybe that motivates Mika to not have his line caved 5v5 cause that's where he can start focusing his time.
I don't see the correlation between not winning a trophy that one team wins and all the other teams having to change their PP. People also said the kids wouldn't be able to develop without PP time and now those same people are saying Laf is blossoming before our eyes. Maybe Laf hasn't CLEARLY shown PP proficiency and maybe he doesn't CLEARLY fit with our other guys in their most optimal roles.

BUT I LOVE THE CONVERSATION!!!. Maybe try the survey!

BleedBlueNYR

Jan 25, 2019
New York
Copy and paste and then state (Yes/No) whether you agree after each statement.

Our personnel on PP1 is the ideal group and I largely love the way they operate...No
The personnel on PP1 is ideal but I largely wish they operated differently...No
Our PP1 personnel is not the ideal group...Yes

Mika is a detriment to PP1 and needs to be removed...Yes

Lafreniere should be on PP1...Yes
Lafreniere has shown proficiency on the PP and that is why I am confident he would improve PP1...Yes
Alignment wise, Lafreniere would fit seamlessly on PP1...Yes
The main reason Lafreniere should be on PP1 is because it would be good for his development...No (The reason is that it would be good for the team)

Panarin is more of a threat on the right side...No
Panarin is more of a threat on the left side...Yes

If Mika were out of the lineup, the best choice to take his place would be Chytil over Laf...No

Our current PP1 should get used similar to Edmonton where they stay on the ice for as long as they can go instead of being even slightly deferential to PP2...Yes

I feel like all these questions boil down to liking Laf or Mika more. To me the answer is obvious and that's how I answered.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I’m old enough to remember when the general consensus was that Strome/trocheck had to be removed and Laf would play the bumper (even though the lefty in the bumper was a joke of a concept). I must have overslept the fan meeting where it unanimously switched to Mika must come off the PP.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Who is the shooter on the PP if it's not Mika? I don't know if his shot is anywhere near as accurate as it once was and even then it wasn't the most accurate but will it be Panarin or Laf with the shot in place of Mika? Not sure Laf is a shooter like that and Panarin is better as a playmaker on the PP I would think.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I'd rather Panarin be the playmaker though and I don't know if Lafreniere's one timer is as good as Mika's.
He can still do the majority of the puck handling and playmaking while benefiting from Lafreniere who is the teams second best shot creator and high danger passer. Ideally the two players on the walls can do everything well. It’s old school mentality to think of one guy as the passer and the other as the brain dead bomber who just fires away. Mika’s one timer is far and away then best on the team but they don’t generate them or score off them anymore so it’s not even relevant. I’m pretty sure he scored a single one last year against Buffalo

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's ideal. I don't even know what that means. I definitely think operation is a bigger issue than personnel.

Again..."ideal?" The ideal group has McDavid on it.

The way he has played over the last two dozen or so games, going back through the playoffs, he has been a detriment.

He should begin to be incorporated in a rotation of six for now. It's something we would have to work on. It's not just flipping a switch.

He has objectively not done that. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a chance but he's done f*** all on the powerplay in his career.

Absolutely not. It's way more involved than "is left-handed." He doesn't fit in our current set-up which is why we would need to work on it.

I guess? But more points just drives up his salary so there's that. He will be on it eventually full-time which is why I would like to start working on it.

Yes.

No. Panarin is more effective playing RW on the powerplay. But again, operation is the main issue. We suck when we get into that "you stand here and you stand here" 1-3-1 bullshit, and we're much better when we move, so I don't really care. Also, the off-wing is overrated and like 99.9999999999999999999999% of one-timers sail into the crowd or hit the boards.

No. Laf is firmly the 6th man right now, and I would like to involve him a bit more.

They do that now.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
No. Panarin is more effective playing RW on the powerplay. But again, operation is the main issue. We suck when we get into that "you stand here and you stand here" 1-3-1 bullshit, and we're much better when we move, so I don't really care. Also, the off-wing is overrated and like 99.9999999999999999999999% of one-timers sail into the crowd or hit the boards.
Yeah I see this a lot and i dont quite understand it. Panarins power play production has pretty much skyrocketed since they had him play the right side and get going downhill more. But there are benefits to both setups. We’ve never run a true 1-3-1 with a good player across from Panarin

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah I see this a lot and i dont quite understand it. Panarins power play production has pretty much skyrocketed since they had him play the right side and get going downhill more. But there are benefits to both setups. We’ve never run a true 1-3-1 with a good player across from Panarin
Instead of waiting for a full unit change, I would like to see Laf replace one guy. Sometimes Trocheck, sometimes Zibanejad. It depends on how it's going.

Zibanejad is going to hit a long stretch, like he always does, where all of his shots start going.

He should be held accountable when he's bad on the powerplay but it would be unwise to banish him to PP2 forever.

I want us to remain fluid in terms of what the units look like as well as their ability to operate. Having the same five guys stand in the same five spots is why it gets shut down over the course of a series.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Instead of waiting for a full unit change, I would like to see Laf replace one guy. Sometimes Trocheck, sometimes Zibanejad. It depends on how it's going.

Zibanejad is going to hit a long stretch, like he always does, where all of his shots start going.

He should be held accountable when he's bad on the powerplay but it would be unwise to banish him to PP2 forever.

I want us to remain fluid in terms of what the units look like as well as their ability to operate. Having the same five guys stand in the same five spots is why it gets shut down over the course of a series.
Maybe it gets “shut down” over a series because if a 25-30% PP never got shut down it would be way higher than 25-30%. And that level of PP has never existed.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
The problem is if you ask to Mika to do anything other than just stand still he’ll just get even worse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad