Post-Game Talk: Potential new coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The fear of Q and this perceived notion that he carries too much baggage for the media to handle is way overblown.

You wouldn't hear a peep about his past transgressions beyond training camp, let's be real here. FFS, MLSE owns half of the sports media in this country - any persistence to beat a dead horse by the media would be shut down pretty quick.

Rogers and Bell are publicly traded companies, so they have an image and reputation to uphold...I just don't see Q coaching the Maple Leafs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I read somewhere Berube only got past the first round one time. Is that true?

1715057905932.jpeg

The only coach to bring a Stanley Cup to St. Louis. Craig Berube is third all time in franchise wins and games and will go down as one of the best coaches we’ve ever had. Thanks for everything Chief, this one really hurts.

For Craig Berube, accountability led to a Stanley Cup for St. Louis Blues - TSN.ca

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I am wondering if they moved the management media day to Friday so that they could sign their new coach and get him here to be introduced that day?

Reactions: ashs

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
I have this feeling that on Friday, that they will say, " We truly believe in Keefe to lead this team. He knows this team very well and what their capable of. We have decided to move in a different direction and to release the assistant coaching staff of their duties" The old different direction approach, just to make it look like there doing something meaningful.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I have this feeling that on Friday, that they will say, " We truly believe in Keefe to lead this team. He knows this team very well and what their capable of. We have decided to move in a different direction and to release the assistant coaching staff of their duties" The old different direction approach, just to make it look like there doing something meaningful.
Not a chance. He will be turfed in the next day or so.

Reactions: Evilhomer

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Do you guys think Quenneville will ever get a job in the NHL or is he finished? He says he wants to coach again. He certainly isn't young anymore and all the baggage thats with him.
People here hate Babcock for his off ice chinnanagins, but are more than happy to welcome Q into the fold, doesn’t anyone have principles anymore?

Reactions: Racer88

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
If they do that, it’s because they have someone in mind who still has 1 year left on their contract.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I am wondering if they moved the management media day to Friday so that they could sign their new coach and get him here to be introduced that day?
I think it's the opposite - they are going to basically buy themselves time, inform everyone that they need to take a step back and evaluate everything, and then make informed decisions without any emotion attached to it.

It will be code essentially for "we are running it back", and they've moved it to a Friday to hopefully give it a bit of a "news dump" feel that gets lost over the weekend.

Do you guys think Quenneville will ever get a job in the NHL or is he finished? He says he wants to coach again. He certainly isn't young anymore and all the baggage thats with him.
He will coach again - the league has left the door open for him to return, and he will.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looking past Berube and other NHL coaching "free agents", Todd Nelson has been the Hershey Bears coach last 2 seasons and has done very well. They won the calder cup last year and they are the best AHL team again this season. He won the calder cup with Grand Rapids in 2017 as well. He replaced Dallas Eakins on an interim basis after Eakins was fired by the Oilers in 2014-2015, they eventually then let him go in the off-season to hire Todd McLellan.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks and thinkblue

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
All the rumors point to Berube. He was offered the Senators job and said no. He's rumored to be offered the Devils job and is waiting for "Something". On Friday, he'll be in Toronto.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
All the rumors point to Berube. He was offered the Senators job and said no. He's rumored to be offered the Devils job and is waiting for "Something". On Friday, he'll be in Toronto.
Somebody suggested Sullivan to NJ, Keefe to Pittsburgh and Berube to Toronto. Friedman nixed it saying Dubas plans to keep Sullivan. NJ can have Keefe once we get Berube.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

All the smoke regarding Berube is the same smoke Treliving from last off-season. Like I mentioned earlier the optics of changing coaches within a few days seems off to me but if they think he's the guy, why delay it? It doesn't seem like any other coaches will be let go and the current crop of coaches is rather slim to say the least.

Sharks apparently are in on Woodcroft, or he's high on their list I think. Blues hired Bannister as their full time coach. Only NJD is still without a coach, and soon to be the Leafs obviously.

Reactions: Menzinger and banks

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All the smoke regarding Berube is the same smoke Treliving from last off-season. Like I mentioned earlier the optics of changing coaches within a few days seems off to me but if they think he's the guy, why delay it? It doesn't seem like any other coaches will be let go and the current crop of coaches is rather slim to say the least.

Sharks apparently are in on Woodcroft, or he's high on their list I think. Blues hired Bannister as their full time coach. Only us and NJD are without coaches right now.
I'd cut ties immediately, it's the fair thing to do with Keefe but I'd wait until after the playoffs before bringing someone new in.
I don't see the urgency there.

Reactions: OddyOh

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I'd cut ties immediately, it's the fair thing to do with Keefe but I'd wait until after the playoffs before bringing someone new in.
I don't see the urgency there.
I think if they can change the core they'd consider keeping Keefe which don't ask me why.... But is the feeling i get

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad