37. Artamonov
38. Hutson
39. Connelly
40. Parascak

Reactions: SimGrindcore

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Just because Yakemchuk is a late birthday and the defenseman with the highest upside that doesn't mean he should be rushed to the NHL. He's more of a project. If given enough development time, the return could be huge. Especially his skating is a work in progress. I hope he stays in the WHL for an overager season and gets at least one full AHL season as well. Ideally he'd go to Europe as the lighter schedule and wider European uce can really help those kind of defensemen (Bichsel, Seider) work on their skating but that's not gonna happen. Still I think it's gonna be important not to rushI
In today's NHL I'd be very leary of drafting a D who was an average (at best) skater...especially if that player struggles with d-zone coverages. Hoping that he'll become atop 4 guy is really optimistic IMO. He fits the classic junior star who will struggle at higher levels. Skating is so important these days...the game is just too fast now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
In today's NHL I'd be very leary of drafting a D who was an average (at best) skater...especially if that player struggles with d-zone coverages. Hoping that he'll become atop 4 guy is really optimistic IMO. He fits the classic junior star who will struggle at higher levels. Skating is so important these days...the game is just too fast now.
His skating isn't bad for his size. It's clearly better than Ekblad's back at the time. Argument could be made that Yakemchuk is in fact already a better skater than Ekblad today. In the WHL, skating didn't hold back Yakemchuk one bit.

Having said that, there's still a lot of potential there and WHL isn't the same as NHL. That's why I suggested going down the Europe route in Seider's and Bichsel's footsteps. That's not gonna happen but I'd still like to see Yakemchuk work on his skating for at least two more years. If he does that I'm relatively confident he's gonna be the top defenseman of his draft class and a franchise defenseman. I do think it's gonna be important not to rush him though. Those kind of things should be worked on before entering the league.

I hope whoever ends up drafting Yakemchuk understands that, despite his age and him dominating the WHL pretty much at will, he's a project and not a finished product.

NitroF

Feb 6, 2006
I posted a fantasy oriented draft decisional matrix in the General Fantasy forum (which is not very active) expecting to get some feedbacks.

I share it here hoping that it will bring it some attention from Draft - Prospect aficionados such as you guys.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I posted a fantasy oriented draft decisional matrix in the General Fantasy forum (which is not very active) expecting to get some feedbacks.

I share it here hoping that it will bring it some attention from Draft - Prospect aficionados such as you guys.

Very nice idea.
The Yakemchuk and Levshunov ceilings as well as the Eiserman, Dickinson and Parekh floors are interesting takes though:laugh:
I also suggest re naming the Risk column as it can be confusing and lead to people reading your matrix the wrong way.

Reactions: NitroF

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Updated and final top 10:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Dickinson
4. Buium
5. Levshunov
6. Iginla
7. Connolly
8. Yakemchuk
9. Sennecke
10. Eiserman

HM: Parekh, Catton

Lidstrom drops big time because rumor has it the injury that sidelined him many months is a herniated disc. DND in the top 15 for me for that reason because without it he certainly is in my top 10.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Updated and final top 10:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Dickinson
4. Buium
5. Levshunov
6. Iginla
7. Connolly
8. Yakemchuk
9. Sennecke
10. Eiserman

HM: Parekh, Catton

Lidstrom drops big time because rumor has it the injury that sidelined him many months is a herniated disc. DND in the top 15 for me for that reason because without it he certainly is in my top 10.
Connolly at 7?

Feels like 15-20 picks too high

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
  1. Celebrini
  2. Silayev
  3. Dickinson
  4. Buium
  5. Yakemchuk
  6. Demidov
  7. Eiserman
  8. Levshunov
  9. Catton
  10. Chernyshov
  11. Sennecke
  12. Parekh
  13. Iginla
  14. Helenius
  15. Stolberg
Margins from 3-14 are razor thin for me.

Also, whoever my team drafts will immediately move up about 5 spots

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Connolly at 7?

Feels like 15-20 picks too high
Connolly is a great player and for sure in that tier. A lot of people ranked him lower because of his personal issues and some concerns with his selfish play. He’s one of the most talented players in this draft and is almost always the best player on the ice.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
-------------------------------
3. Catton
4. Lindstrom
5. Buium
6. Iginla
7. Brandsegg-Nygard
8. Dickinson
9. Sennecke
10. Helenius
--------------------------------
11. Chernyshov
12. Luchanko
13. Solberg
14. Silayev
15 Freij
16. Jiricek
17. Eiserman
18. Levshunov
19. Yakemchuk
20. Artamonov
21. Surin
22. Stiga
23. Beaudoin
24. Greentree

The Blob (25-50)

25. Vanacker
26. Parekh
27. Hage
28. Villeneuve
29. O'Reilly
30. Basha
31. Eriksson
32 Badinka

33. Kleber
34. Muggli
35. Boisvert
36. Miettinen
37. Sahlin Wallenius
38. Misa
39. Petersson
40. Ritchie
41. Avramov
42. Gridin
43. Shuravin
44. Hemming
45. Josephson
46. Emery
47. Wetsch
48. Traff
49. Ustinkov
50. Roberts

Random Notes...

This has to be the most over-hyped defense class that I can remember in 40+ years of following the draft (getting older so memory could be a factor). Other than Buium I don't see one dman that I have confidence could be a 1D. Dickinson should round out to be a solid 2/3 with processing improvements. If you want the love child of Dion Phaneuf and Rasmus Ristolainen, then sure, draft Levshunov. But at #2? Blows my mind. Silayev? He does have top pairing potential, but a lot - and I mean a lot - has to go right in his development. As for Parekh...just so many questions. Does his offense translate given that he doesn't possess elite skating? What does he project at given his size, limited defensive acumen, and aversion to contact. I try to imagine him facing a Panthers-style forecheck and well, it looks grim.

Forward class definitely lacks play-driving talent (and several of those have some question marks). But what it's missing in high skill guys is more than made up in smart, hard-working, no-nonsense middle 6 types that will help you win rounds in the playoffs.

Connelly is a DND for me in the first two rounds (at minimum).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Catton
4. Lindstrom
5. Buium
6. Iginla
7. Brandsegg-Nygard
8. Dickinson
9. Sennecke
10. Helenius
11. Chernyshov
12. Luchanko
13. Solberg
14. Silayev
15 Freij
16. Jiricek
17. Eiserman
18. Levshunov
19. Yakemchuk
20. Artamonov
21. Surin
22. Stiga
23. Beaudoin
24. Greentree

The Blob (25-50)

25. Vanacker
26. Parekh
27. Hage
28. Villeneuve
29. O'Reilly
30. Basha
31. Eriksson
32 Badinka

33. Kleber
34. Muggli
35. Boisvert
36. Miettinen
37. Sahlin Wallenius
38. Misa
39. Petersson
40. Ritchie
41. Avramov
42. Gridin
43. Shuravin
44. Hemming
45. Josephson
46. Emery
47. Wetsch
48. Traff
49. Ustinkov
50. Roberts

Random Notes...

This has to be the most over-hyped defense class that I can remember in 40+ years of following the draft (getting older so memory could be a factor). Other than Buium I don't see one dman that I have confidence could be a 1D. Dickinson should round out to be a solid 2/3 with processing improvements. If you want the love child of Dion Phaneuf and Rasmus Ristolainen, then sure, draft Levshunov. But at #2? Blows my mind. Silayev? He does have top pairing potential, but a lot - and I mean a lot - has to go right in his development. As for Parekh...just so many questions. Does his offense translate given that he doesn't possess elite skating? What does he project at given his size, limited defensive acumen, and aversion to contact. I try to imagine him facing a Panthers-style forecheck and well, it looks grim.

Forward class definitely lacks play-driving talent (and several of those have some question marks). But what it's missing in high skill guys is more than made up in smart, hard-working, no-nonsense middle 6 types that will help you win rounds in the playoffs.

I agree about the D class. Most of these supposed top six defensemen are very limited in one way or another. And Buium is the one big exception to that. I like where you have placed Solberg. One guy I don't see here is Pulkkinen, were you lower on him? I had him around 10th-15th. I'd be curious to see your report on him.

I agree on MBN as well being top 10! He looks tailor made to be an NHLer, and with higher upside than folks give him credit for.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Catton
4. Lindstrom
5. Buium
6. Iginla
7. Brandsegg-Nygard
8. Dickinson
9. Sennecke
10. Helenius
11. Chernyshov
12. Luchanko
13. Solberg
14. Silayev
15 Freij
16. Jiricek
17. Eiserman
18. Levshunov
19. Yakemchuk
20. Artamonov
21. Surin
22. Stiga
23. Beaudoin
24. Greentree

The Blob (25-50)

25. Vanacker
26. Parekh
27. Hage
28. Villeneuve
29. O'Reilly
30. Basha
31. Eriksson
32 Badinka

33. Kleber
34. Muggli
35. Boisvert
36. Miettinen
37. Sahlin Wallenius
38. Misa
39. Petersson
40. Ritchie
41. Avramov
42. Gridin
43. Shuravin
44. Hemming
45. Josephson
46. Emery
47. Wetsch
48. Traff
49. Ustinkov
50. Roberts

Random Notes...

The supposed “high end” D from this class have continued to slip and slip down my list. Other than Buium and Silayev, they could all end up outside my top 10.

I personally don't see the “safeness” of Dickinson to even be a top 4 D, which is what makes him a consistently highly rated prospect in most lists. Absent of that, in my mind, no reason to have him in my top 10.

I think with Silayev, who I was low on for a lot of the season, I would still be willing to spend a potential top 5 pick on. Even with projecting next to no offensive impact at the NHL, I still think his tools could make him a very good 1st pairing D, with a partner that needs a “babysitter”, or a shutdown pairing D. His length, size, and skating will just allow him to close and disrupt so many plays at blue lines, or off the cycle. Even if he projects no more than 20-30 points, the rest of the package would still be very valuable.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Here is my entry. I went 45 cause the Sharks last pick in their first 2 rounds is 42. No Connelly for non-hockey-reasons, no goalies cause i have no idea.

1. Celebrini
2. Lindstrom
3. Demidov
4. Buium
5. Parekh
6. Levshunov
7. Iginla
8. Sennecke
9. Silayev
10. Catton
11. Helenius
12. Brandsegg-Nyggard
13. Yakemchuk
14. Dickinson
15. Eiserman
16. Chernyshov
17. Ritchie
18. Hage
19. Brunicke
20. Greentree
21. Luchanko
22. Solberg
23. Elick
24. Emery
25. Badinka
26. Letourneau
27. Poirier
28. Stiga
29. Artamanov
30. Basha
31. Smith
32. Freij
33. Hutson
34. Jiricek
35. Surin
36. Hemming
37. Petterson
38. Vanacker
39. Beaudoin
40. Mews
41. Pulkkinen
42. Boisvert
43. Parascak
44. Montgomery
45. Misa
Few things- Dickinson is 100000% not going 14th, he will be long gone by then. He may be NHL ready as early as this year

Lindstrom had a herniated disk which can affect his back majorly so he may be injury prone- won’t be going top 5 anymore, too many uncertainties

Also vanacker (38) is getting shoulder surgery done. That may tank his draft stock a bit.

NitroF

Feb 6, 2006
Very nice idea.
The Yakemchuk and Levshunov ceilings as well as the Eiserman, Dickinson and Parekh floors are interesting takes though:laugh:
I also suggest re naming the Risk column as it can be confusing and lead to people reading your matrix the wrong way.
I would be very interested in the grades you’d put to those guys, as it is the kind of conversation I hoped to create to challenge my reading of those guys.

The Eiserman and Parekh’s high floor is taking into account that they make it to the NHL. I have the feeling that if they do find a role in this league, it will most probably come with offensive production. The risk factor (or hit probability maube?) is taking into account the "boom or bust" kind of vibe they give me. If it wasn’t for the risk factor column, the possibility to have trouble finding their place in the NHL would definitely lower their floor.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
I agree about the D class. Most of these supposed top six defensemen are very limited in one way or another. And Buium is the one big exception to that. I like where you have placed Solberg. One guy I don't see here is Pulkkinen, were you lower on him? I had him around 10th-15th. I'd be curious to see your report on him.

I agree on MBN as well being top 10! He looks tailor made to be an NHLer, and with higher upside than folks give him credit for.
Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of Pulkkinen and that's essentially why I left him off my list. He's such an anomaly. All the size and tools you could want combined with some really fun offensive aggression. I'm just not sure how you factor in him being a late birthday overager (might be above my pay grade). If he was an 06 I wouldn't have any problem having him in that 10-15 range (or higher), but since he's not - and I'm risk averse when it comes to lottery picks - I don't think I would pull the trigger quite that high in the draft. I would love for some team to make a "go big or go home" swing on him though. He's that fun to watch.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Few things- Dickinson is 100000% not going 14th, he will be long gone by then. He may be NHL ready as early as this year

Lindstrom had a herniated disk which can affect his back majorly so he may be injury prone- won’t be going top 5 anymore, too many uncertainties

Also vanacker (38) is getting shoulder surgery done. That may tank his draft stock a bit.
Dickinson is 10000% not playing over 9 games next year, if he gets 9.

• Haha
Reactions: frontsfan67

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I would be very interested in the grades you’d put to those guys, as it is the kind of conversation I hoped to create to challenge my reading of those guys.

The Eiserman and Parekh’s high floor is taking into account that they make it to the NHL. I have the feeling that if they do find a role in this league, it will most probably come with offensive production. The risk factor (or hit probability maube?) is taking into account the "boom or bust" kind of vibe they give me. If it wasn’t for the risk factor column, the possibility to have trouble finding their place in the NHL would definitely lower their floor.
I think that Yakemchuk has a much higher ceiling than Levshunov. But based on your explanation the rest clearly does make sense. Very good matrix. Nice work.

NitroF

Feb 6, 2006
I think that Yakemchuk has a much higher ceiling than Levshunov. But based on your explanation the rest clearly does make sense. Very good matrix. Nice work.
Thank you!

I see Levshunov offensive ceiling being reachable only if he becomes a great number one à la Hedman.

As for Yakemchuk, I prefer a puck moving PP1 defenceman than the one with the booming shot. I also feel like the league is trending that way. Now, looking at Evan Bouchard makes me kinda doubtful about that statement. Do you think I underappreciate Yakemchuk’s playmaking ability? Might very well be the case.

This chat also makes me rethink about the floor and risk weighting. For fantasy purposes, I usually prefer to go for the homerun and give risks kind of a tie breaker function to my rankings. But in this particular exercise, risk beeing put aside while evaluating the floor, I think I should put more importance to it than I would otherwise do.

Or should I maybe just merge the two categories and include risks to the floor evaluation?

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Dickinson
4. Buium
5. Lindstrom
6. Silayev
7. Levshunov
8. Iginla
9. Sennecke
10. Catton
11. Parekh
12. Yakemchuk
13. Helenius
14. Luchanko
15. MBN
16. Stolberg
17. Hage
18. Boisvert
19. Chernysov
20. Beaudoin
21. Surin
22. Emery
23. Stiga
24. Shuravin
25. Basha
26. Jiricek
27. Greentree
28. Eiserman
29. Hemming
30. Badinka
31. Miettinen
32. O'Reilly
33. Smith
34. Ritchie
35. Sahlin Wallenius
36. Eriksson
37. Artamonov
38. Hutson
39. Connelly
40. Parascak
Eiserman at 28? Way to low for him. I can see him going around 10-15. He is still the best scoring prospect in this draft.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
People said the same thing about a Jakub Chycrun.

Dickinson had 21 more points and was the best defenceman on the second best team in the CHL. Watch.
Yes, counting stats are always an indicator of NHL readiness. My fault

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Yes, counting stats are always an indicator of NHL readiness. My fault
Did you watch any of the playoffs or the memorial cup? Only d man I’d take over Dickinson in the whole chl is mateychuk who is a first round pick and 19.

Dickinson is one of the best 17 year old defencemen from the O’ in the last 10 years. Has the size, has the skill, and has the strength and speed to play. All the tools point towards an early graduation from the OHL

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Did you watch any of the playoffs or the memorial cup? Only d man I’d take over Dickinson in the whole chl is mateychuk who is a first round pick and 19.

Dickinson is one of the best 17 year old defencemen from the O’ in the last 10 years. Has the size, has the skill, and has the strength and speed to play. All the tools point towards an early graduation from the OHL

I'm not sure that I'd want to develop Dickinson in the NHL soon, but I agree that he is remarkably ready. The size and skating, and also they have him playing a pro game in London.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of Pulkkinen and that's essentially why I left him off my list. He's such an anomaly. All the size and tools you could want combined with some really fun offensive aggression. I'm just not sure how you factor in him being a late birthday overager (might be above my pay grade). If he was an 06 I wouldn't have any problem having him in that 10-15 range (or higher), but since he's not - and I'm risk averse when it comes to lottery picks - I don't think I would pull the trigger quite that high in the draft. I would love for some team to make a "go big or go home" swing on him though. He's that fun to watch.

I had a similar dilemma.

I came to think though that Pulkkinen has significant runway left, maybe more runway than your average 06. His pace of improvement in the last year is incredible, after only fully committing to hockey after the draft last year. I have that feeling that the sky is the limit for him.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad