Portland Diamond Project picks land for potential MLB team stadium

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The Rangers had a retractable roof and cost $1.1 billion. Now Vegas is over $2 billion and will be smaller. The costs of building anything has skyrocketed. St Louis's proposed open air stadium for the Rams was about $1 billion the new Bills Stadium will be $1.7 billion. The new Flames arena is much more than twice the Oilers arena, etc.

Everything I've seen in articles puts the stadium at 1.5 billion. Maybe I haven't kept up with the latest though.

I agree though, costs have gone through the roof in a short time. The Vegas stadium wouldn't have any trouble filling other dates, though. Most of the businesses in Vegas have been saying they need another big venue because they turn things away with no place for them to go as is.

Reactions: Voight

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Everything I've seen in articles puts the stadium at 1.5 billion. Maybe I haven't kept up with the latest though.

I agree though, costs have gone through the roof in a short time. The Vegas stadium wouldn't have any trouble filling other dates, though. Most of the businesses in Vegas have been saying they need another big venue because they turn things away with no place for them to go as is.

My point wasn't about Vegas specifically just why cities are less enthused about applying for teams. When stadiums cost under a billion and the cost of franchises was lower enabling owners to contribute more it was a lot more plausible for cities to bid.

Reactions: Voight

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Yup, it'll be banged out all year like Allegiant

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Oh, of course the cost goes up; but it's not double or triple.

You need to make an apples to apples comparison. Different projects are just different.

The same project separated by only time is going to be more expensive, but comparing a $675m place with no roof and no AC to a $1.1 billion place with a roof and AC makes no sense because they're just totally different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad