Post-Game Talk: Poor discipline and poor reffing is a bad combination

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
We were down 3-2 last year and we deserved all 3 of those loses. Let’s see if LA can beat us 2 more times until then I’m pretty confident in our team.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
time to starting hitting the refs, hard. Not verbally, I mean physically plowing them through the boards. Otherwise there's no sense watching.

After Draisaitl complained about the officiating, and both Woody + McDavid stating that the puck was touched by a high stick and shouldn't have counted, the Oilers will be penalized with a 5 on 3 PK immediately upon puck drop in G4 for Unsportsmanlike conduct and Verbal abuse against officials.
Sources confirmed to me

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Your argument was an Oilers/Leafs final would be a license to print money. I'm showing you have arguably the team with the largest fanbase in the NHL and is one of the teams you specifically mentioned being in a cup final (along with another Canadian team) which couldn't even crack 500K viewers when they have built a rivalry with the Lightning.

The Lightning have been one of the league's best teams for several years now and have a strong market, cap Olympics be damned. This is ESPN numbers, not SN numbers. They also finished third in gate attendance so don't tell me they have a weak market.

The Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins have nearly ten times the television audience as the Lightning, literally.

Article posted about the Lightnings most watched game in 2023 averaged 70,000 households. The Bruins had an average of 661,000 in 2022..

It's not even a remotely close comparison to show those 4 markets against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Just ask Gary Bet365man what he thinks

The commissioner's head is too far up his own ass when he thinks digital billboards are well received in the NHL fanbase and how he continues to be a laughingstock by protecting a pathetic Arizona franchise that loses money every year while playing in a college arena. Knowing him, he'll protect his precious officials like always.
f*** Bettman.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins have nearly ten times the television audience as the Lightning, literally.

Article posted about the Lightnings most watched game in 2023 averaged 70,000 households. The Bruins had an averaged of 661,000.

It's not even a remotely close comparison to show those 4 markets against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I guess that explains why they use cap circumvention to try and grow that market.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah I didn't see the Oilers get any 2 on nothing breakaways. just going on memory Kings have had 3-4 breakaways in series. Can't remember what the Oilers have had if any.

Again hockey hard to quantify. Just categorizing spot shots taken from specicif areas as HDSC doesn't really reveal much of anything. The Oilers break down the times they do, and real good. On first goal a King is alone in front of the net to tap home a rebound. On Kempe goal Its due to Drai being silly and taking a penalty, and the Oilers going to sleep once again on a standard set play. The Oilers don't even look or view the Kings set plays. Kempe scores an easy tying goal there.

But ultimately its Korpi being a lot better than Skinner.
I think that Skinner was better than Korpisalo in last nights game. As you said Korpi didnt have to deal with a 2-0 or any breakaways at all.
The Oilers are just not giving themselves every opportunity to win. For example...they need much more out of Hyman. Kane and RNH.

As for the reffing (not directed at you) as bad as it has been I am not going to waste my time bitching about something the team has no control over.

If this team controls what they can control and executes like they can they will win.
No doubt in my mind.

Its just like anything in life...where you put your focus matters. If the team is focusing on how hard done by they have been so far then they will lose this series.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I actually almost find the growth stuff interesting. Its just insulting to hear the league and media try to pretend like we are watching perfect competition.

In terms of pure compeitive balance I find IIHF is better, CHL is better. Havnt watched European leagues much.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
This talk about somehow league execs deciding who they want in the next round, then telling the refs to call certain ways to help ensure that AND nobody talks about that or leaks it bugs me. The league isn’t fixing for match ups, they are just incompeten.
It’s actually a bit of both. Incompetence is very evident but the “game management calls” are only going one way. Us usually when a team dominates 5v5 the way we have this series the calls favour the team dominating. The kings have only had a lead for a combined 7 minutes all series. The penalties are 15/7 in favour of LA. The high stick last night was clearly evident to anyone who has ever taken grade 3 science. An object in motion will remain in motion unless effected by another object. Whether you can see clear contact or not the law of motion is hard to ignore but apparently physics is suspended in LA California?

Reactions: Porkleaker

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
if you ain't cheating you're not trying hard enough. Its been the thing in hockey forever, and the 80's Oilers were far better at getting calls. Its like an area of work the team needs to do. Teams do anything to get an edge.
Absolutely and that’s the way it should be and the Oilers have taken some boneheaded penalties but they’ve also showed up with the expectation this was playoff hockey and this series has been officiated like the regular season.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Might be time to reunite McDrai. RNH, Hyman and Kane are giving them nothing right now.
Could be it.

McDrai ... yams :(

Seems like a lot of depth players are not good enough Ryan, Kostin only 6 min.
Broberg is playing 4 min(!)? - Mostly because they dont want to dress Janmark.. thats sad and bad.

Nuge is pointless, and may he get a hard start and coming back later.
Hyman and Kane doesnt produce that much.

I wish a third line of like Kostin McLeod Bjugstad could produce.. that would be nice. What Ive also noticed with Kostin, it shows in a playoff game, is how slow in turns he is. Bad agillity and very "fridge" like.
But as stated - I want to see a Kostin McLeod Bjugstad line. They are most assertive.
Fogele is the most assertive gut of all bottom 6 ers, but he seems to have a hard time. Maybe his job is to just bang out there, since he is a big guy.

Kostin have to address it soon. Yes, one goal is nice, but he has to want it more badly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think that Skinner was better than Korpisalo in last nights game. As you said Korpi didnt have to deal with a 2-0 or any breakaways at all.
The Oilers are just not giving themselves every opportunity to win. For example...they need much more out of Hyman. Kane and RNH.

As for the reffing (not directed at you) as bad as it has been I am not going to waste my time bitching about something the team has no control over.

If this team controls what they can control and executes like they can they will win.
No doubt in my mind.

Its just like anything in life...where you put your focus matters. If the team is focusing on how hard done by they have been so far then they will lose this series.
Korpis is seeing more rubber and he's seeing McDrai. Thats harder than anything Skinner is facing.

I'll give you one play. Early. McD in flight breaks D contain and comes in net. McD is going to blow by goalie and do the tuck for a goal. A play he can do in his sleep. McD got in, beat the D clean but Korpi takes out McD, legally, in his crease, and scoring chance averted. Hardly anybody mentioned it but most goalies don't have the presence of mind to be the D and the G on that play. Korpi prevented what was a sure goal. Things like that. Kings also had 3 goal posts yesterday. Skinner wasn't that good

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Article posted about the Lightnings most watched game in 2023 averaged 70,000 households. The Bruins had an average of 661,000 in 2022..

I'm sure they do.

What I'm saying is if two Canadian teams were in the cup final, there wouldn't be much viewership south of the border. This backs my position up based off last year's cup final:

"Despite the viewership increase, the audience was still below the pre-pandemic 2019 final, which averaged 5.47 million viewers. Not factoring in the Covid-affected seasons, this year’s series was also the second least-watched Stanley Cup finals since 2012, which averaged 3.01 million viewers."

Two of the top US teams in the league going toe to toe and second least watched cup final since 2012.

We can go back and forth on this all day but until it happens, neither of us know what the viewership in the US would be like.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
4 of the 6 guys on the top two lines are combine for one goal

Yikes
The kings have done well to shut Edmonton down compared to our regular season scoring, but we’ve still been the better team despite the lack of production. It was to be expected honestly with it being the playoffs, and it being LA.

9 goals a side so far, 4 each on the PP, with the Oilers having significantly less opportunities, and zero opportunities when it’s most impactful (end of the game, and OT), while 3/4 of the kings pp goals are from penalties called at those game deciding times. Take away the OT calls, or call the blatant ones missed before the kings got a PP (Foegele elbow and Mcdavid being pinned on his ass) and we’re looking at a sweep tomorrow.

There isn’t much 5 on 5 for either team, which is to be expected when the kings play their clog up everything style. The reffing has been the deciding factor in this series because it’s much more impactful when one teams game plan is focused on not getting scored on 5v5.

I have no doubt if we get through the kings, it’ll be much easier to overcome such terrible reffing against a team that doesn’t build its game plan around a trap system.

Reactions: tardigrade81

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Korpis is seeing more rubber and he's seeing McDrai. Thats harder than anything Skinner is facing.

I'll give you one play. Early. McD in flight breaks D contain and comes in net. McD is going to blow by goalie and do the tuck for a goal. A play he can do in his sleep. McD got in, beat the D clean but Korpi takes out McD, legally, in his crease, and scoring chance averted. Hardly anybody mentioned it but most goalies don't have the presence of mind to be the D and the G on that play. Korpi prevented what was a sure goal. Things like that. Kings also had 3 goal posts yesterday. Skinner wasn't that good
Stopping a 2-0 and multiple breakaways is nothing to be scoffed at. This battle isnt being lost because of Skinner.
Korpi is playing really well but suggesting that the Oilers are doing enough conflicts with reality IMO.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I still say it's hard to tell if the puck is in front of the stick. To call back a goal I want to see a change of trajectory.
It changed rotation all of a sudden, not really trajectory. Its hard to be mad at that alone though - the entire game leading up to it felt like the TV had a layer of mud on it.

Nah, not doing it. referees are not cute and cuddly, cats are.

I change my avatar around once an eon. Plus I love Black Sabbath so..

Y'all talked me into this with this whole cat thing. Now you're stuck. Or I am.

kudos to the Mr Bean avatar though.
I dunno, I think cats are the problem tbh.

Too unpredictable like officials

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad