Post-Game Talk: Poor discipline and poor reffing is a bad combination

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Stopping a 2-0 and multiple breakaways is nothing to be scoffed at. This battle isnt being lost because of Skinner.
Korpi is playing really well but suggesting that the Oilers are doing enough conflicts with reality IMO.
The Kings f***ed up the 2 on nothing. Overpassing. If Danault just takes the shot instead of forcing the last pass its a goal. Good skate save though. The puck was going in if Skinner didn't get there. Skinner did make good stops. But Korpi was stoning us and stoned Drai about 3X last night.

Just as an aside 2 on nothing breaks so often seem to feature some kind of misplay or overplay. Statistically I wonder if its better to just have a one player breakaway. Its like the situation of two entices the players to try too much.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It changed rotation all of a sudden, not really trajectory. Its hard to be mad at that alone though - the entire game leading up to it felt like the TV had a layer of mud on it.

I dunno, I think cats are the problem tbh.

Too unpredictable like officials
Spot on....lol

Reactions: BlackDogg

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
The Kings f***ed up the 2 on nothing. Overpassing. If Danault just takes the shot instead of forcing the last pass its a goal. Good skate save though. The puck was going in if Skinner didn't get there. Skinner did make good stops. But Korpi was stoning us and stoned Drai about 3X last night.

Just as an aside 2 on nothing breaks so often seem to feature some kind of misplay or overplay. Statistically I wonder if its better to just have a one player breakaway. Its like the situation of two entices the players to try too much.
Probably one should shoot and one should clean up statistically

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

You just cant give credit where credit is due...lol

Skinner made a great save on that 2-0. It doesnt hurt all that much to admit it. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
You just cant give credit where credit is due...lol

Skinner made a great save on that 2-0. It doesnt hurt all that much to admit it. ;)
and I quote myself from the same post you quoted.

"Good skate save though. The puck was going in if Skinner didn't get there. Skinner did make good stops. "

hehe

Reactions: BlackDogg

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
The reffing has been piss poor all series, no arguing that but the reality is it’s not going to change.

We will need to just eliminate all the useless stick infractions/ shit after the whistle - don’t even give them a reason to call it.

Top players need to step up as well. Another thing I am noticing is that all our goals are scored on pretty long shots. Have we scored one goal within 10 feet of the net ? On the other hand LA has scored all their goals like that. Needs to change at both ends of the ice to have even a remote chance of winning

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Why dont we just allow Gary to grow his puny American markets and watch the regular season. Nothing wrong with that. It is May after all---may as well go outside.
How well has Gary's plan to increase TV viewership in the US going? He's been in charge for 30 years, and the three highest rated SC finals games as far as US viewership are all still from the 1970's. And there are 140 more million people living in the US now than in the 70's. And the cost of this epic failure on the brand of NHL hockey has been enormous, with the game and production of it hardly recognizable.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I know its "in" to blame refs.....but Oilers have not been good enough....no clutch
No big moment plays (exception being Kostin goal).
We are being outscored by LA while they play a trap game.
We are undisciplined hot heads.
Korpi .936 >>>>>>> Skinner no clutch .900
4 players out of the top 6 have been shit.

Yes the refs have been shit all around...but there is no one to blame this year but the players.....not the GM, not the coach, not the refs.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Really don’t get people complaining about Skinner.

Has he been able to steal us any games? No, but he’s been more than good enough for us to win every game, including some excellent saves at key times.

The kings are +7 for penalty differential (most in the league of course), have “drawn” 18 calls, and Korpisalo has been unreal. Leading the league in goals saved above expected at 5v5 with 4.6.

Meanwhile Skinner has the same 5v5 GA, and GAA as Korpisalo, and a .937 save %, which is lower than Korpisalo and his .959, but still 5th best in the playoffs so far. Skinner is also actually ahead of Korpisalo on Pk save %, rocking an 81.25%, where as Korpisalo is at 72.73%.

The number of PPs, and the timing of them are the deciding factor in this series, even more so than goaltending which the oilers haven’t been bad at, Korpisalo has just been going supernova 5v5.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The reffing has been piss poor all series, no arguing that but the reality is it’s not going to change.

We will need to just eliminate all the useless stick infractions/ shit after the whistle - don’t even give them a reason to call it.

Top players need to step up as well. Another thing I am noticing is that all our goals are scored on pretty long shots. Have we scored one goal within 10 feet of the net ? On the other hand LA has scored all their goals like that. Needs to change at both ends of the ice to have even a remote chance of winning
I agree with all of this.
Your point about not scoring any goals in tight is spot on.
Coincidentally thats the area where Kane and Hyman score most of their goals from and they havent pissed a drop since the series started.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Really don’t get people complaining about Skinner.

Has he been able to steal us any games? No, but he’s been more than good enough for us to win every game, including some excellent saves at key times.

The kings are +7 for penalty differential, and have “drawn” 18 calls, and Korpisalo has been unreal. Leading the league in goals saved above expected at 5v5 with 4.6. He also leads the league with a

Meanwhile Skinner has the same 5v5 GA, and GAA as Korpisalo, and a .937 save %, which is lower than Korpisalo and his .959, but still 5th best in the playoffs so far.

The PPs are the deciding factor in this series, even more so than the goaltending, which the oilers haven’t been bad at, Korpisalo has just been going supernova.

I fully expect Korpissalo to revert back to Pumpkin Columbus Sieve Korpissalo in Round 2 if the Kings do upset the Oilers.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
How well has Gary's plan to increase TV viewership in the US going? He's been in charge for 30 years, and the three highest rated SC finals games as far as US viewership are all still from the 1970's. And there are 140 more million people living in the US now than in the 70's. And the cost of this epic failure on the brand of NHL hockey has been enormous, with the game and production of it hardly recognizable.

Well if you want to be his friend and give him a hand just throw a couple bills on the next game.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Well if you want to be his friend and give him a hand just throw a couple bills on the next game.
With the $100 50/50 package, you get a $25 BP credit and a $25 Play Alberta credit. In my stupidity I used my credit to bet on the Oilers. Heart over using your head is never a good idea. ;)

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I know its "in" to blame refs.....but Oilers have not been good enough....no clutch

Yes the refs have been shit all around...but there is no one to blame this year but the players.....not the GM, not the coach, not the refs.
What clutch moments have the kings had that weren’t handed to them in the form of a PP at a game deciding time?

I get what you’re trying to say, but the Oilers have been good enough to win, they just haven’t been good enough to overcome the refs as well.

if the oilers were blowing their PP opportunities on top of not getting the calls, I could see your point, but we’re capitalizing at an even higher rate than we were during the regular season, we’re just not getting any opportunities, especially when it could be considered clutch.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

The Oilers are psychologically mindf***ed right now. You can see the frustration because of the disparity in the officiating which is leading to them making bad choices. The refs know this is what's going to get them off their game so they're making the calls. If the games were called fairly, Drai probably doesn't tap Doughty's skate.

I used the word "rigged" last night but rigging or fixing generally has player involvement to take a bad penalty or miss an obvious scoring chance. Influencing though? Absolutely. The refs are heavily influencing this series so far.

I will say though, Skinner has been good. Korpisalo has been better. Removing the bullshit refs and from a hockey perspective, that's the difference.

Reactions: Puljulainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad