Post-Game Talk: Poor discipline and poor reffing is a bad combination

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
None whatsover. Pure nonsense

If the NHL was rigging the playoffs for financial reasons, we'd see an Edmonton Toronto Stanley Cup final.

They'd make more money than they could dream of. Yet the fix job is in to eliminate Edmonton and Toronto from the post season for Tampa Bay and Los Angeles?

GIve me a break 😂. It's such an embarrassing theory.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The communist in me would suggest hiring them and letting them live there.

"Your job is to keep the homeless people out---but you can live here so you're no longer homeless"
When I managed a place in London a few years ago..I hired 4 or 5 over a 10 year period. Only 2 decided to get their lives together--they other guys preferred life on the street. I understood it but did not get it

Put this in the OT thread
trying to lighten the mood here

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don’t think there’s any cause for concern. Oilers have been carrying the play and owning the puck despite being short handed so often. Even with the lopsided power play distribution and Korpisalo playing out of his mind the Kings are still just barely hanging around long enough to sneak out a couple wins.

Just look at how the situational officiating has played out so far.

GM 1: Penalties relatively even in the first but Edmonton is absolutely dominating the Kings looking like they could walk through them. Then the penalty parade begins in the second. Very late third period call, followed by an ot penalty call. 1-0 kings.

GM 2: Whistles go away with Edmonton down 1-0. Edmonton in control for the bulk of the game, Kings get only one opportunity in the 2nd/3rd, don’t get the push and Edmonton hangs on. Series tied 1-1.

GM 3: The parade to the penalty box for the Oilers starts up again and LA finally gets their first lead of the series and then like clock work the Oilers get a couple PP’s and promptly right the ship without problem, only to have the Kings put back on the PP then handed another one in overtime again.

How often do we see penalties called in over time in playoff games? Generally you have to commit murder to get called for something in ot and yet this series has had 2/3 games so far decided because of a penalty called in overtime. That almost never happens.

My guess is that game 4 will be like game 2 and the whistles will go away or it’ll be advantage Edmonton.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Again, if the league is all about making money, as a lot of people are using as the narrative for this underlying rig job, they want the Oilers IN the playoffs, not out of them.

Los Angeles has been a strong market for quite some time now. Could see this theory if it was a much weaker market like Columbus, Phoenix, Florida etc. But not LA.

None of these shit theories make any sense.

Why cant you just have a strategy of making money in American markets and gambling? If that is your strategy it doesnt matter that Edmonton playoff revenues are more if the strategy is based on American viewership.

They have admitted to doing this.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don’t remember the Kings doing this when they won cups. Doughty, and Kopitar were leaders that pulled for every inch. Now the other players look for freebies. To think the Kings were a respected bunch in the past. They are back to the flopping Hrudey’s of the past.
Dustin Brown perfected diving in the NHL.

Reactions: Oilhawks

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Again, if the league is all about making money, as a lot of people are using as the narrative for this underlying rig job, they want the Oilers IN the playoffs, not out of them.

Los Angeles has been a strong market for quite some time now. Could see this theory if it was a much weaker market like Columbus, Phoenix, Florida etc. But not LA.

None of these shit theories make any sense.
Someone said it earlier, playoff money is playoff money. Oilers or LA, it's the same playoff money. The difference is the Oilers took a very long time of being bad before they stopped selling out games in the regular season and missing out on some profits. Attendance in fickle American markets goes in the tank quickly with bad teams. They need to keep those numbers up, especially when competing against NFL / NBA. Again there is no conspiracy against the Oilers. There is just a preference to help out American markets. Like they literally gave our playoff spot to Dallas in 2020 lol. Thats not a conspiracy against the Oilers, that's wanting to help Dallas.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
When I managed a place in London a few years ago..I hired 4 or 5 over a 10 year period. Only 2 decided to get their lives together--they other guys preferred life on the street. I understood it but did not get it

trying to lighten the mood here

thats not a bad success rate IMO.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
High stick or no high stick.... I'm just more angry at the soft penalty calls against the Oilers last night. Draisaitl's light tap against the LA player? Ekholm's penalty when he hardly even cross checked the guy? Desharnais 's light elbow as the King player skated by? Give me a break. Old NHL playoffs used to be so fun to watch when teams can just go at it without refs feeling like they need to be a factor in the game. It's like watching Cinderella hockey now.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don’t think there’s any cause for concern. Oilers have been carrying the play and owning the puck despite being short handed so often. Even with the lopsided power play distribution and Korpisalo playing out of his mind the Kings are still just barely hanging around long enough to sneak out a couple wins.

Just look at how the situational officiating has played out so far.

GM 1: Penalties relatively even in the first but Edmonton is absolutely dominating the Kings looking like they could walk through them. Then the penalty parade begins in the second. Very late third period call, followed by an ot penalty call. 1-0 kings.

GM 2: Whistles go away with Edmonton down 1-0. Edmonton in control for the bulk of the game, Kings get only one opportunity in the 2nd/3rd, don’t get the push and Edmonton hangs on. Series tied 1-1.

GM 3: The parade to the penalty box for the Oilers starts up again and LA finally gets their first lead of the series and then like clock work the Oilers get a couple PP’s and promptly right the ship without problem, only to have the Kings put back on the PP then handed another one in overtime again.

How often do we see penalties called in over time in playoff games? Generally you have to commit murder to get called for something in ot and yet this series has had 2/3 games so far decided because of a penalty called in overtime. That almost never happens.

My guess is that game 4 will be like game 2 and the whistles will go away or it’ll be advantage Edmonton.
Completely agree, Oilers just have to stay the course, take game 4 and everyone can settle down. They clearly look like the better team, the Kings are getting timely goals and PPs. Meanwhile the Oilers can't beat Korpisalo, but I do think cracks are starting to show.

We'll get them in game 4. Don't forget this team won two must-win games against this team last season, they should still be confident.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If the NHL was rigging the playoffs for financial reasons, we'd see an Edmonton Toronto Stanley Cup final.

They'd make more money than they could dream of. Yet the fix job is in to eliminate Edmonton and Toronto from the post season for Tampa Bay and Los Angeles?

No they’d go with New York and LA.

Reactions: Oilhawks

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
No they’d go with New York and LA.
Oh my just think of all the celebrities in attendance. TMZ would run clips for weeks. That will show our rich friends in the NBA and NFL that we truly made it!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
High stick or no high stick.... I'm just more angry at the soft penalty calls against the Oilers last night. Draisaitl's light tap against the LA player? Ekholm's penalty when he hardly even cross checked the guy? Desharnais 's light elbow as the King player skated by? Give me a break. Old NHL playoffs used to be so fun to watch when teams can just go at it without refs feeling like they need to be a factor in the game. It's like watching Cinderella hockey now.
Drai hacked Kempe, the Kings top goal scorer twice in back of leg in front of officials after a whistle the other night. Drai has a long list of after the whistle hacks. I'm among his biggest supporters but he has to knock the shit out and I've been saying that for two years now. Obviously the officials and the league are looking at it and called it. Drai would not have had that penalty had he not had a long rap sheet of the same.

Desharnais is another Oiler that is earning extra attention from the officials and he absolutely set that table after game 1. They will throw the book at him for anything. At the end of the day officials are human and if you abuse them they take note and respond as humans tend to do.

Kane? lol. He's another. Long rap sheet, its part of what we get for the player and one reason why he was available.

Trouble for the Oilers is they take stupid penalties, but none of them, none, are good at instigating calls.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Someone said it earlier, playoff money is playoff money. Oilers or LA, it's the same playoff money. The difference is the Oilers took a very long time of being bad before they stopped selling out games in the regular season and missing out on some profits. Attendance in fickle American markets goes in the tank quickly with bad teams. They need to keep those numbers up, especially when competing against NFL / NBA. Again there is no conspiracy against the Oilers. There is just a preference to help out American markets. Like they literally gave our playoff spot to Dallas in 2020 lol. Thats not a conspiracy against the Oilers, that's wanting to help Dallas.

LA has missed the playoffs 6 out of the last 9 years, and has had first round exits (lol at this as well, considering the rig job theory) in the other 3 that they made the playoffs. They haven't won a round in NINE YEARS.

During this time, they pretty much sold out the building every season except this one.

Swiss cheese theories here. There's so many holes it's incredible. The NHL has the worst officiating in pro sports. But this is a league wide issue, not an Oilers fix job.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
How much of an afterthought are the Kings in their own market? They own the building they play in. Yet they give the preferred playoff dates to the two basketball teams renting their facility. They know they are irrelevant, even with a really good team. The league isn’t dumb, they know what would happen if the Kings didn’t generate some kind of buzz, the little fan interest they have now would disappear.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Are you kidding? Why keep two teams with some of the most rabid and loyal fans in the playoffs if you can game manage teams in to “grow the game” which they’ve been saying so often and so desperately trying to do since Bettman came in, even more so lately. Massive massive dollars for future expansion teams in American cities.

An Oilers / Leafs final would be their worst nightmare. Only diehards in the US would watch, which does nothing for growing the game.

Guaranteed 1000 f***ing percent that if McDavid was on some American team no one gave a shit about he’s get plenty more calls and not this constant joke of non calls

LA has missed the playoffs 6 out of the last 9 years, and has had first round exits (lol at this as well, considering the rig job theory) in the other 3 that they made the playoffs. They haven't won a round in NINE YEARS.

During this time, they pretty much sold out the building every season except this one.

Swiss cheese theories here. There's so many holes it's incredible.

It’s called game management and they’ve absolutely admitted to it. Just ask Tim Peel. They can’t game manage a shit team (which LA was for those 6 of 9 years) into the playoffs without making this look even more like WWE.

And wow, they managed to sell out a building of 18K or whatever in one of the highest population cities in the world during the playoffs? Much wow, such big fanbase

Last edited:

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Are you kidding? Why keep two teams with some of the most rabid and loyal fans in the playoffs if you can game manage teams in to “grow the game” which they’ve been saying so often and so desperately trying to do since Bettman came in, even more so lately. Massive massive dollars for future expansion teams in American cities.

An Oilers / Leafs final would be their worst nightmare. Only diehards in the US would watch, which does nothing for growing the game.

Guaranteed 1000 f***ing percent that if McDavid was on some American team no one gave a shit about he’s get plenty more calls and not this constant joke of non calls

Do you notice how I said for financial reasons?

An Edmonton/Toronto final prints money for the league.

If your theory behind the NHL rigging games against the Oil is for financial reasons (which many state on here it is) it makes absolutely zero sense to eliminate 2 of the 5 most profitable teams in the league for the LA Kings and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

If your theory behind the NHL rigging games against the Oil is for financial reasons (which many state on here it is) it makes absolutely zero sense to eliminate 2 of the 5 most profitable teams in the league for the LA Kings and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Who cares what reason it’s for? That’s just window dressing. It’s clear as day that these sunbelt teams get the benefit of game management. Just ask the Islanders how it’s going against the Canes. They could be up 2-1 as well

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

No, it looks like that's what it does. The 2 of the biggest 3 TV markets in North America are NY and LA. A Kings/Rangers final does more for the league than Edmonton/Toronto could ever hope to, especially in terms of growth and reach.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Drai hacked Kempe, the Kings top goal scorer twice in back of leg in front of officials after a whistle the other night. Drai has a long list of after the whistle hacks. I'm among his biggest supporters but he has to knock the shit out and I've been saying that for two years now. Obviously the officials and the league are looking at it and called it. Drai would not have had that penalty had he not had a long rap sheet of the same.

Desharnais is another Oiler that is earning extra attention from the officials and he absolutely set that table after game 1. They will throw the book at him for anything. At the end of the day officials are human and if you abuse them they take note and respond as humans tend to do.

Kane? lol. He's another. Long rap sheet, its part of what we get for the player and one reason why he was available.

Trouble for the Oilers is they take stupid penalties, but none of them, none, are good at instigating calls.
It wasn’t a penalty but he really needs to stop that. It’s some arrogant shit and it cost us the game. He knows the refs are watching him and talks about immaturity after game one. Love the guy. But smarten up….

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
God the conspiracies make you guys look just as pathetic as Leafs fans who we constantly make fun of. Stop.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Does anyone know how much the American TV deals and gambling revenues are? I kind of assume it is comparable or potential to be way more--not sure though.

But again it is obviously a strategy considering all the gambling advertising. Or that they at least operate on growth strategies.

God the conspiracies make you guys look just as pathetic as Leafs fans who we constantly make fun of. Stop.

whats the conspiracy? its all out in the open?

They just cant outright say that they dont want team A or team B in the playoffs because they are all part of the league.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

These loses are of our own making. Full stop. Players need to just focus on playing a game and not acting tough and stupid.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
While I’m not happy with the refs calling Draisaitl for unsportsmanlike and ekholm for that weak cross check how do they not call Danault for standing and holding Mcdavid to the ice? Arviddson is a diving pansy.

That said the oilers should just stop trying to beat them physically at all and just beat them with skill if they’re gonna get called for touching the kings
How about that pepe lepieux garbage massive two hander slash to McDavids stick at the end of the Oilers last pp where McDavid went sliding down to a thunderous roar

It was the biggest slash of the night.

I wish so many bad and terrible things on LA

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad