Chair.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Haha
Reactions: psych3man

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Where the Kings lucked out is that Washington has one agenda- get Ovechkin the goal scoring record. They obviously think adding a guy who averaged 30 assists the past three seasons might get Ovie 30+ goals next year which means the record is his. It's as simple as that. As much as it sucks to be a Kings' fan now with our dysfunctional front office, it is probably worse for Caps' fans who are going to have to suffer through two lousy seasons before they can start a rebuild. But, they'll own the most important record in the sport of Hockey, one which may never be broken.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Where the Kings lucked out is that Washington has one agenda- get Ovechkin the goal scoring record. They obviously think adding a guy who averaged 30 assists the past three seasons might get Ovie 30+ goals next year which means the record is his. It's as simple as that. As much as it sucks to be a Kings' fan now with our dysfunctional front office, it is probably worse for Caps' fans who are going to have to suffer through two lousy seasons before they can start a rebuild. But, they'll own the most important record in the sport of Hockey, one which may never be broken.
If Ovie gets the record it'll make the deal worth it. But PLD's contract is going to age terribly once all is said and done. Its always possible for a player to turn it around, but I don't see it right now with him. Blake is lucky he was able to find a dance partner, GM's rarely get to right their own wrongs. Usually its the poor sap that has to come in after and hold the bag.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Ovie gets the record it'll make the deal worth it. But PLD's contract is going to age terribly once all is said and done. Its always possible for a player to turn it around, but I don't see it right now with him. Blake is lucky he was able to find a dance partner, GM's rarely get to right their own wrongs. Usually its the poor sap that has to come in after and hold the bag.

It's definitely possible, and would be annoying, but you can't bank on it, that's for sure. Even guys like Ryan O Reilly and Duchene took AGES to find their place. Knowing the Kings we'd get like 5 terrible years out of him then he'd blow up for 3 when we're in the lottery.

Reactions: Omni Owl

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
It's definitely possible, and would be annoying, but you can't bank on it, that's for sure. Even guys like Ryan O Reilly and Duchene took AGES to find their place. Knowing the Kings we'd get like 5 terrible years out of him then he'd blow up for 3 when we're in the lottery.
True. Or he could go the way of Kyle Turris and be a mediocre journeyman C that was projected to be better. You just never know, but he's definitely trending in the wrong direction for now, glad he's gone.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake

That's what it's all about at this point for the Capitals. They'll make lots of money too as he approaches the record and get national attention from Media as well. After the record is broken, if it is, they can buy out PLD if he's not performing and do a complete tear down. They are an older, not terribly talented team that will go the route of the Blackhawks post Kyle Beach.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Personally I think chasing the record for the records sake devalues it, especially when the holder was more interested in setting up teammates. It feels rather ironic to me.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Personally I think chasing the record for the records sake devalues it, especially when the holder was more interested in setting up teammates. It feels rather ironic to me.
There will only be one GREAT ONE. Ovechkin will never be nearly as good as Gretzky was, but let's give him his due- potentially the greatest goal scorer of all time.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thank you for this, I was having kind of a shit morning and reading this turned my frown upside down
Whenever you feel bad, just remind yourself...

At least you didn't trade Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, and a second for PLD, sign him for 8 years, $8.5 million AAV, only to trade him away less than a year later for Darcy Kuemper.

... or did you? If yes, this is really awkward.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I wonder how many Kings players told management they were outta here if PL was the future of this team. I can't imagine we aren't just seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Behind the scenes I bet that locker room was a weird vibe this last season.
The "cookie" game where Drew laid into teammates not playing the right way to the press was the straw that broken the camels back for the dressing room.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
The "cookie" game where Drew laid into teammates not playing the right way to the press was the straw that broken the camels back for the dressing room.
KFDI on that one, Doughty's been around and I have zero doubt it broke anything in the locker room.

My guess it was met with more applause in the room, finally someone saying something. I would bet management wasn't happy with the interview though.

I was hoping PLD would get moved before 7/1 to take any debate out of the equation. Heck even at the draft giving up picks/prospects as well to get that salary off the books. Maybe PLD will finally smarten up and fly right, who knows.

But today it looks like Kuemper for 3 NHL caliber players that could add depth, a 2nd and 9-mil in cash.

Still a bad deal any way you slice it.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kings the third highest revenue team with POS Luc Dubois and a decade long drought for playoffs success. This is why ownership doesn’t pay attention. If a couple of fan favorites can bring in the cash, I’m sure there are more pressing issues in Uncle Phil’s empire.

Sad that the vast majority of Kings fans are good with sinking their time and money into a big money, forgettable results organization.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Kings the third highest revenue team with POS Luc Dubois and a decade long drought for playoffs success. This is why ownership doesn’t pay attention. If a couple of fan favorites can bring in the cash, I’m sure there are more pressing issues in Uncle Phil’s empire.

Sad that the vast majority of Kings fans are good with sinking their time and money into a big money, forgettable results organization.
And with the rebrand, they’ve guaranteed themselves even more revenue next year with merchandise sales.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad