Playoffs Watch

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
For those of you doing the standings watching, what opponent are you hoping the Wings get, anyway? Looking at the standings, one of Florida, Tampa, or Boston all look most likely, aside from Washington if the Wings fall to the final wildcard spot.

Frankly, I don't think it matters which of those 3 they take on first from the division. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

wings will probably get the 1st or 2nd wildcard. the teams below them don't worry me much

Philly would have to surge and Pittsburgh would need to keep pace, too. The Wings have a little cushion, 3 wins. So far so good.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
For those of you doing the standings watching, what opponent are you hoping the Wings get, anyway? Looking at the standings, one of Florida, Tampa, or Boston all look most likely, aside from Washington if the Wings fall to the final wildcard spot.

Frankly, I don't think it matters which of those 3 they take on first from the division. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Philly would have to surge and Pittsburgh would need to keep pace, too. The Wings have a little cushion, 3 wins. So far so good.
Not Florida they have had the whammy on us. Even when they were not good.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Florida.

Tampa would probably destroy us this time around while everyone before the first game would say. We took them to 7

Boston. Is probably 2nd. But they are still pretty big.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Boston. No where the team they used to be.

Their defense is very bad now compared to a few years ago. I feel like this team can utilize it's speed and expose Boston on the back end.

We also tend to play well against the Caps, and this team despite what many say plays with heart in the playoffs. Possibility of upsetting them - and I would love it, but I don't think we'll be in the 2nd WC spot.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
17 games left

4 back to backs

10 games against playoff teams.

Not the easiest schedule

Meh, we've always played our best in these situations. Might not be a bad thing either if we have to scrap and claw our way into the playoffs. How many times did Wings teams of old coast in as division champs and get upset by a defense first, hard-working team with great goaltending that had been fighting for every point for months?

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
If the Pens win today (leading NJ 2-0 currently) and the Wings get less than 2 pts vs CHI (losing 2-1 currently), the Pens will pass and the Wings will be in the final wildcard spot.

4 pt cushion on PHI currently. 6-3-1 in L10

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Tomorrows' games will be interesting to watch.

Philly vs Tampa
Boston vs Florida

No 3-point games hopefully.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Meh, we've always played our best in these situations.
Sooner or later there will be a year where we just can't get it done though. Currently, Z is struggling, Larkin is struggling, Mrazek is struggling, Kronwall is 'meh'.. I believe in this team but I don't think we're a lock. We need to get some guys going. A few too many players struggling or underperforming for me to be comfortable with the team right now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We need to start riding the hot hand more and I mean not just for goalies. Some nights certain players aren't getting it done. We need to ride the ones that are. AA's line was buzzing all night last night. Play it more. We've had nights where the Z/Abby/Larkin line was the only one worth a spit. If that happens play them more. Start fresh between games for the players but during the game we need to play to whoever is the one making stuff happen that game. Can't afford anything else if you wanna make the playoffs.

Of course if that's not our goal then fine.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Sooner or later there will be a year where we just can't get it done though. Currently, Z is struggling, Larkin is struggling, Mrazek is struggling, Kronwall is 'meh'.. I believe in this team but I don't think we're a lock. We need to get some guys going. A few too many players struggling or underperforming for me to be comfortable with the team right now.

Would it be the time to shake things up and bring up, say Mantha, and bench Jurco/Pulkkinen? Or would it be counter-productive, offsetting the progress Jurco and Pulkkinen have made thus far just to see possibly what Mantha could do?

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Would it be the time to shake things up and bring up, say Mantha, and bench Jurco/Pulkkinen? Or would it be counter-productive, offsetting the progress Jurco and Pulkkinen have made thus far just to see possibly what Mantha could do?

I don't see how it could hurt. We could use the size up front for sure.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Who do we have left that is waiver exempt?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not sure it could be called a 'shakeup' but giving Mantha a chance intead of Pulkkinnen would give the team a bit more size and speed and I wouldn't be against that. I like Jurco lately though.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Bad Idea.

You want to go with youth... Jurco and Pulkkinen are that youth.

Mantha will not be ready until next year.

Just give Jurco and Pulkkinen and AA more ice time.

Winning doesn't matter when you want to do a youth movement.

if you want Mantha be prepared to waive Jurco/Pulks

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Jurco and AA at the very least deserve more ice. Jurco's not making as much stuff happen as AA but he's forcing turnovers, laying the body. Pulks is missing amazing setups by AA. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

19 points, -12 and looks lost. Meh is his best nights, this season he has been laughably bad. Like so bad that the games he was gone I forgot he was injured.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Pulks has not made progress, I think he might be worse than he was at the start of the year. Gladly play Mantha over him and trade him away. Someone will think they can get him to turn the corner. More likely we will sit on him until his value is nothing.

PHI plays TB twice in a row this week and then FLA, that is fortunate.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pulks has not made progress, I think he might be worse than he was at the start of the year. Gladly play Mantha over him and trade him away. Someone will think they can get him to turn the corner. More likely we will sit on him until his value is nothing.

Tampa is playing their worst hockey game I have maybe seen them throw out in two years.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Tampa is playing their worst hockey game I have maybe seen them throw out in two years.

I'd counter by saying Philly is playing pretty desperate right now. Its amazing, I change back and forth between the Philly-Tampa game and the Florida-Boston game, and see so much desperation from Philly and Boston. Then I watch Detroit play, and can barely keep my eyes open. It is evident which teams want it more in my opinion. All I can think about when watching this Flyers game is that I want the Wings to play like that. In my opinion, Detroit is easily one of the most, if not most boring teams to watch in the NHL.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

I honestly don't even know how much value he has at the moment. I'd trade him for a 4th. The guy is an AHL sniper who can't make the jump to the next level. He's not the first one to light up the A and not be able to make the NHL, and he wont be the last either. I'm over him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd counter by saying Philly is playing pretty desperate right now. Its amazing, I change back and forth between the Philly-Tampa game and the Florida-Boston game, and see so much desperation from Philly and Boston. Then I watch Detroit play, and can barely keep my eyes open. It is evident which teams want it more in my opinion. All I can think about when watching this Flyers game is that I want the Wings to play like that. In my opinion, Detroit is easily one of the most, if not most boring teams to watch in the NHL.

Tampa seemed to wake up after the challenge didn't go their way. Were kind of sleep walking with a 1-0 win. Were getting outshot 30-6. Philly is playing well, but Tampa was basically doing absolutely nothing. For a team on a 9 game winning streak they looked like they thought they could show up and win tonight.

Also guess you missed Philly get embarrassed by Edmonton the other night. That was a lifeless performance as well. It does happen.

Florida is in that stretch that we talked about happening to them at some point. They aren't converting at an insane rate right now and life is tough. Guessing they will bounce back but they are not playing good hockey right now. Boston murdered them in transition on early turnovers to build that lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00