Playoff Race Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We have a breeze of a schedule compared to most teams we're racing against. I think we only have 6 back to backs left while Tampa and Boston have somewhere in the low teens.
I still hate that next Saturday before playing Montreal the Leafs will be playing Anaheim the night before, because it's the third time this season of them playing a back to back before facing Montreal, with the Canadiens not playing the previous day.

Reactions: OddyOh

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If I'm mistaken should Vegas beat Carolina tonight in regulation the Leafs will pass Carolina due to being up in the season series and take over a wildcard spot

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well he set a franchise record for points with the Leafs so yes

That's a team accomplishment though, not sure how much credit I'd give him for that. And points are a lot easier to come by then they used to be, the best PTS% ever would be much more impressive.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
If I'm mistaken should Vegas beat Carolina tonight in regulation the Leafs will pass Carolina due to being up in the season series and take over a wildcard spot

They would be up on Carolina, but it would be because of having higher RW (Regulation Wins).

The head to head is actually pretty far down the list of tiebreakers.

upload_2020-1-31_7-27-30.png

Reactions: willmma

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'm not concerned about a wildcard spot in January myself, if we play the way we should, we'll make the playoffs. The team I'd be watching the closest is TB, 4 points up on us with a game in hand, not insurmountable by any means.

Really impressed that CLB is in a playoff spot. Not sure what's going on over there but weren't they supposed to plummet down the standings like a rock? Would be cool if they made the playoffs again, cooler still if they took out Boston in the 1st round. :)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not concerned about a wildcard spot in January myself, if we play the way we should, we'll make the playoffs. The team I'd be watching the closest is TB, 4 points up on us with a game in hand, not insurmountable by any means.

Really impressed that CLB is in a playoff spot. Not sure what's going on over there but weren't they supposed to plummet down the standings like a rock? Would be cool if they made the playoffs again, cooler still if they took out Boston in the 1st round. :)

I wouldn't rule out a Toronto, Florida 1st round all it takes is 1 mini slump by Tampa

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs fans, absurd things happening to us since October 1967

Tell me about it, and any other Leaf fan that were there from the opening game of 1697-68 season until today. :wg:

When the sample set of cheering for playoff races and Cup wins becomes >> 50 years, trust me, doubt and skepticism runs more rampant than optimism due exactly to the "things that can happen" that always seem to get in the way.

I remember many of those years starting the season with " This is our year thoughts and beliefs" and now its more of "I'll believe it when I see it", because the negative obstacles always rear their ugly heads. Its not a matter of "IF" more "WHEN, HOW or WHAT" they will be.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Tell me about it, and any other Leaf fan that was there from the opening game of 1697-68 season until today. :wg:

When the sample set of cheering for playoff races and Cup wins becomes >> 50 years, trust me, doubt and skepticism runs more rampant than optimism due exactly to the "things that can happen" that always seem to get in the way.

I remember many of those years starting the season with " This is our year thoughts and beliefs" and now its more of "I'll believe it when I see it", because the negative obstacles always rear their ugly heads. Its not a matter of "IF" more "WHEN, HOW or WHAT" they will be.

Ive only been seriously following since the 90s and I can already feel this attitude.

NOTHING is too absurd when it comes to this team

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ive only been seriously following since the 90s and I can already feel this attitude.

NOTHING is too absurd when it comes to this team

Its almost like you get this sixth sense (not of seeing dead people ;)), but more a pit in your stomach that something ominous is going to happen to the Leafs.

That feeling creeps in the like fog every time you see something going wrong and your gut tells you that this is the forerunner of something bad on the horizon.

I remember sitting there watching my Leafs get pummeled with 50 shots against Winnipeg recently and getting totally outplayed but pulling off the win, and thinking to myself this feels like a bad win and something bad is coming.. Then shortly after Leafs lose 5 of 6 next games including getting embarrassed 8-4 to Florida and 6-2 to Chicago and fall out of the playoff spot.

Then I say to myself " I knew it was coming, because I could feel it, because " bad/absurd things are going to happen" is now the ingrained go-to position.

Now Leafs have come out of the break, playing 2 really good games, and then you look at the upcoming schedule of many winnable games in the next stretch against non playoff opponents and you get the calming feeling back that things are going our way again and we're back on track, but in the back of your mind you know this is really only the calm before the next storm because that is what has happened for decades upon decades as a loyal Leaf fan.

Reactions: TopCheese

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Vegas up 2-0 after one vs Carolina. Far from over, but a good start.

If they win in regulation, we move into a playoff spot and Carolina will fall out as we have the first tiebreaker.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Vegas up 2-0 after one vs Carolina. Far from over, but a good start.

If they win in regulation, we move into a playoff spot and Carolina will fall out as we have the first tiebreaker.
Let's hope that score holds up or if Vegas can add on some more goals.

We also need the Penguins to hold their 3-1 lead on the Flyers, since Philadelphia is 1 point behind Toronto in the Wild Card standings.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Let's hope that score holds up or if Vegas can add on some more goals.

We also need the Penguins to hold their 3-1 lead on the Flyers, since Philadelphia is 1 point behind Toronto in the Wild Card standings.

Ahhhhh thats right. Forgot about that.

Shots are only 15-9 late in the 2nd.

Thats like 12 minutes into a Leafs game :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad