Players Who Are "Boring" But Very Good/Effective?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dave Andreychuk was always a very good NHL player, but I never found him overly flashy. Very average skater that scored a bunch of goals in the league, but always found the bland way of doing it.

Andy wasn't even an average skater - he lumbered. But once he got somewhere, he was difficult to move and he made a career around the net (and in the faceoff dot). Smart, well-positioned... but if you lined up the distance of all of his NHL goals, it likely doesn't reach center ice.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I put Aho here. He doesn’t dangle or do anything fancy. I think he’s only beat dmen one on one maybe three times in his career and twice it was TDA. He always seems like he could do more of that but he really keeps it simple. Might sound like a weird pick with him being the top center on the team but for the amount of points he gets and quality ice time he received in offensive situations he’s actually pretty tame with the skill.

Reactions: ujju2

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I appreciate boring, positionally sound goalies who rarely have to make flashy saves, yet somehow post elite numbers regularly. Someone like Swayman comes from that school of goaltending.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Adam Lowry. Match him against anyone's lines 1-4 and the result his the same. Nothing happens. Great defense, physically, down low etc. Not much offense but he helps other lines to get better match ups.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Phil Danault has no NHL-caliber skills outside of his hockey IQ (and he skates well enough), but he consistently just plays solid hockey.

Dude is nails, in spite of his talent level.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Certainly not the case at least based on his Panthers days.

If anything, he was guilty of trying to do too much at times, especially with his neutral zone entries.

Maybe that part of his game has changed as a NYR though.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Certainly not the case at least based on his Panthers days.

If anything, he was guilty of trying to do too much at times, especially with his neutral zone entries.

Maybe that part of his game has changed as a NYR though.
Yeah, playing with Panarin, I think he has adapted to a more "right place, right time" type of role where he's content to let Panarin carry the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad