Speculation: Player Discussion: Will Smith

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It might come down to: if he asks, they'll send him down. He's definitely lost some confidence, but I think we need to give him 10-20 games on a team with Celebrini on it to evaluate and for him to evaluate.
I would be weary of letting a teenager make a decision about what's best for his future and would hope the organization is making that call based on what they think is best for him in the long term, but it's likely to be a conversation between both sides, they're heavily invested in his success as a top-5 pick, he kind of has to work out for us to have any aspirations of medium-term success

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I would be weary of letting a teenager make a decision about what's best for his future and would hope the organization is making that call based on what they think is best for him in the long term, but it's likely to be a conversation between both sides, they're heavily invested in his success as a top-5 pick, he kind of has to work out for us to have any aspirations of medium-term success
Sure, I wasn't saying he's making the decision unilaterally, but if it comes up and they talk through it and he wants to go down, then you do it.

Reactions: weastern bias

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Sure, I wasn't saying he's making the decision unilaterally, but if it comes up and they talk through it and he wants to go down, then you do it.
I’ve watched this game for decades, I cannot recall one instance where I heard a player saying they want to go down. I’m not saying it can’t happen, it just sounds unlikely.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I’ve watched this game for decades, I cannot recall one instance where I heard a player saying they want to go down. I’m not saying it can’t happen, it just sounds unlikely.
Sure, I have made myself pretty clear that I think he should stay up for 30-40 games (at least 20 with Macklin in the lineup) and also that Grier said the plan is to not send him down, so the whole exchange has been wildly speculative.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I just don't think Smith needs to be in the AHL to develop. Maybe we'd like to ease him in in the AHL but he's a smart enough player with so much poise that I think he can develop while in the NHL. He obviously can't carry a line but he flashes offense every game and that's more than you can ask from half our line up

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
If a player expresses he wishes to be in the minor leagues instead of the NHL, I would get really wary about that player. It may be best for the player, but that decision needs to be made by the organization, not the player himself. Like with Eklund during his first year, it was the right call to send him back to Sweden, but Eklund looked and sounded like his dog got shot or something. A player should never want to be sent to the minors.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I still think Smith can develop it the NHL. Just not sure how he can acclimate to the NHL pace sooner rather than later
He can and probably will. He just may not acclimate to the NHL pace this season for a multitude of reasons. That's okay to me. Most rookies don't figure it out that first season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad