Speculation: Player Discussion: Will Smith

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
RE: the bold: jeez, I sure hope so.

I do think that he has shades of Jumbo in play style. The issue is, he's not 6'4" 230. Jumbo made a living out of winning board battles, using his big body to shield the puck, and finding incisive cross-ice or dangerous net front passes. Smith can't play that game even if he has the vision and the passing ability, because he's getting buried in the corner or stripped of the puck at the hash marks.

He's gotta develop the NHL speed and timing to be in the play as @Boy Hedican was describing... he has a sense of jumping into the play on turnovers or rushes, but not yet in less space or in regular 5v5 OZ play. That will come in time and is probably the hardest thing to learn, other than NZ/DZ positioning and defense, which he's trying at but still getting a sense for and may take years.

I still disagree we should consider AHL for him until maybe 20 or 30 games in. He might keep getting just a little better every week, in which case, keep him up and see if he finishes the year strong. If he's still looking the same in Dec/Jan, sure... send him down, but then he's the 1C.

That one play he had where he dangled and was about to shoot and then one of the Chicago guys slid and got in the way of the shot -- I feel like in 2-3 months, he gets that shot off 2 seconds earlier and it's a goal. It's things like that, just doing everything a little faster. But yeah, I think it's a good sign that he's getting a bit better every game and think we should absolutely give him at least 20-30 games.

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
That one play he had where he dangled and was about to shoot and then one of the Chicago guys slid and got in the way of the shot -- I feel like in 2-3 months, he gets that shot off 2 seconds earlier and it's a goal. It's things like that, just doing everything a little faster. But yeah, I think it's a good sign that he's getting a bit better every game and think we should absolutely give him at least 20-30 games.
I liked what he was thinking there though. Hopefully getting caught was his ah ha moment for timing. Just have to get stuff off with more pace

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I think he needs to stay on the 3rd line with Goodrow but i think give him a winger like Goose or Bordy give him PP time to get a better assessment of where he is actually at, he looked good in Chicago when all he had to to was support the first forward in on the boards.

If you watch his college highlights you never hear just his name when he was scoring points it was always accompanied by Cutter Gauthier so that might suggest he’s not as good as his stats imply, do I think that, no. You can see the talent is there the brain just needs to catch up.

I didn’t have huge expectations for him because I always question players that surge late or during their draft years

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If you watch his college highlights you never hear just his name when he was scoring points it was always accompanied by Cutter Gauthier so that might suggest he’s not as good as his stats imply, do I think that, no. You can see the talent is there the brain just needs to catch up.
I'm fine with being skeptical of late risers which Smith was in 2023, but he only played on a line with Cutter at the very end of last season when Perreault was injured, and he was the C on the line and looked excellent. The rest of the season he only played with Cutter on the PP and definitely not all of his points were cutter 1T's. He always looked dangerous on the PP.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I'm fine with being skeptical of late risers which Smith was in 2023, but he only played on a line with Cutter at the very end of last season when Perreault was injured, and he was the C on the line and looked excellent. The rest of the season he only played with Cutter on the PP and definitely not all of his points were cutter 1T's. He always looked dangerous on the PP.
the point I’m trying to make is that smith has benefited from the excellent line mates to include Leonard. So I’m implying he is wasnt necessarily carrying his line just complimented it

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
the point I’m trying to make is that smith has benefited from the excellent line mates to include Leonard. So I’m implying he is wasnt necessarily carrying his line just complimented it
I have no horse in this race but I think Smith, being a center, has more to do with a line. No question that Leonard and Perrault helped make him thrive.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Smith will be fine, he’s still adapting. People need to remember he starts a little slow at every level. With NCAA he started slowish and by year end was dominant. With WJC he started just ok, and by the elimination rounds was significantly better, even with the Sharks prospect showcase (I know not a great example) he was just ok in 2023, but looked dominant this year. I suspect it will be a slow but solid progression throughout the season and by year end he will not just be putting up more pts, but looking better overall as well. He looked quite a bit better even against Chicago. He may also need some time in the AHL.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I have no horse in this race but I think Smith, being a center, has more to do with a line. No question that Leonard and Perrault helped make him thrive.
A great center does make a line good, do I think Smith is great? No. He’s good probably comparable to Craig Janey, where as if he’s got superior talent around him like a Brett Hull he’ll put up big numbers but if you put him with comparable talent to himself on the wings he’s going to be just average he’s not raising anyone’s game like a Thornton.

If the Sharks are lucky he will be as good as a prime Damphousse which honestly is perfect for a Stanley cup team.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
A great center does make a line good, do I think Smith is great? No. He’s good probably comparable to Craig Janey, where as if he’s got superior talent around him like a Brett Hull he’ll put up big numbers but if you put him with comparable talent to himself on the wings he’s going to be just average he’s not raising anyone’s game like a Thornton.

If the Sharks are lucky he will be as good as a prime Damphousse which honestly is perfect for a Stanley cup team.
All reasonable. If he ends up Craig Janney, then we need another C at the top of the draft. If he ends up Damphousse, we may be alright so long as Celebrini becomes more Toews than Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad