Speculation: Player Discussion: Will Smith

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He's 8-8 in faceoffs in his last 3 games compared to 5-21 in his first 3. Granted, he understandably has had his faceoff opportunities reduced after his bad start there, but he has shown improvement. If he can keep working at it and earning back the trust of the coaching staff, I'm sure he will start to see some more PP time. You can't really put a center on the PP that will lose most of his faceoffs.

I know we all want to see the points from him, but I feel like that will come eventually. He has started making some nice plays and setting guys up that just haven't been finished. I feel as long as he keeps improving little by little in the other aspects of his game, that should earn him more consistent ice time. And once that happens, the points will probably come.
To be on the powerplay he doesn't really need to take faceoffs though. Granlund would still be there to take those. And even Eklund could if needed.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Some "basic" advanced stats for Smith so far (Moneypuck):
  • On-ice xGF is middle of pack but improving. He had a good game 1 (with Granny), a bad week, and then has picked it up in the past few games and had a great game last game for being on ice while chances were generated (many of them were directly due to him)
  • Granlund, Eklund, Goodrow, Toffoli are top of team at On-ice xGF
  • On-ice xGA is bad. Smith is 6th worst behind Eklund, Granlund, Toffoli, Zetterlund, and Kostin... however, no /60 here and that would make Smith (but really Kostin) look worse.
  • On-ice xGd (differential) is getting a lot better - second chart below. Smith was the worst forward on the ice thru the first few games, but has improved significantly since, and is in a grouping with Zetterlund and Sturm, just below Eklund, Kunin, Granlund, Toffoli, Dellandrea. Best by far is Goodrow, worst by far is Kostin. Arguably... Goodrow has been our best forward.
    1729788452421.png

1729788664175.png

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco , CA
One of these games, he’s going to have a Will Smith-kind of breakthrough and I think all of a sudden he’s going to look much better. He just, for his own sake, needs to have a couple of goals go in/some of his passes converted.

Wouldn’t any kind of breakthrough be a “Will Smith-kind” of breakthrough? 😀

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad