Speculation: Player Discussion: Will Smith

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I hope Will Smith gets to play at least 9 games in NHL games before any decisions.
He seems to be on the 3rd line for the next game, which is fine. I also think it's fine he gets a good opportunity to find his pace. But I'm not opposed to give him AHL time to find dominance.
I just hope they give him a 1 or 2 games at PP1, just to see if it can bring any fire under him.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
It's almost like there's something that happens to all players between being drafted and admission to the Hall of Fame...

Dev... deleve... deple... devlim...

Naw, can't remember it. Besides, he should be the finished article already. He's had more than 30 minutes in the NHL now...

(Seriously, what are we becoming as a fanbase??????) :help:

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
It's almost like there's something that happens to all players between being drafted and admission to the Hall of Fame...

Dev... deleve... deple... devlim...

Naw, can't remember it. Besides, he should be the finished article already. He's had more than 30 minutes in the NHL now...

(Seriously, what are we becoming as a fanbase??????) :help:
I think we're seeing a perfect storm for the Smith mania:
1. people have something to care about again
2. But Celly out and Gush benched means the focus is on Smith
3. Because of the amazing hopeful off-season, expectations for some might have been too high (not everyone though)
4. Because of all the hype for the prospects and Smith specifically, hopes (and some expectations) were very high
5. Although it's early, Smith is having a rough start compared to his top of 2023 draft brethren, increasing the panic

Possible responses and my personal reaction on each:
1. Total panic. This one is unnecessary.
2. Serious concern - blame Smith aka worry about his potential in the NHL. this is more understandable, but still way too premature. Big, big names in the NHL have taken seasons to acclimate.
3. Serious concern - blame SJS aka worry about development. I think this is overblown. He's being given a lot of time and support. Struggle was predictable. He's going through normal pains.
4. Minor concern - development or Smith himself. Understandable. People could think he's better in the AHL after 10 or 30 games, better on this line or that, or be a bit worried that Fantilli, Carlsson, and Michkov all look quite a bit better at the same age. I don't fully agree but I totally get it.
5. Tempered patience. It's going to take 1-2 seasons for him to get up to speed, he still needs to grow and get a lot stronger, he's still almost 3 years away from being able to have a beer legally so there's a lot of maturity in body and mind to come, don't panic... Let the team pros decide what to do with him, and don't worry about the minutia of his development yet. BUT, also, no question that this start shaves a bit of the optimism off the very top of the possible outcomes, whether it's his fault, sharks fault, or both. This is where I am.
6. Total optimism. Nothing has changed - it's only 3 games, nothing at all to worry about, still sky high upside for the kid. I don't think I'm here but I get it if someone is.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
im not worried about it, I think hes putting pressure on himself because of Mack, he wasnt insulated as well initially. He needs to regain some swagger, if you dont play with confidence this league will eat you alive.

Reactions: landshark

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
So far my opinion on Smith is two things. One, I don't notice him as much as I wish I did. Ever since Celebrini went down I was hoping to really get to watch Smith's game, but he's not playing the minutes I thought he would. The second thing is I'm already tired of the debate in the GDT about him. So far in the three games, the GDTs have turned into the same thing, should Smith go down or not. Personally I think he should get at least 10 games and actually get a look. He's young and will make mistakes. If this season is about developing the players, then lets develop the players. I think the issue right now is you have mixed messaging from the Coach. I don't see how you can develop players when they have a short leash and/or they only play 10 or less minutes a game. Either free Smith (And Gushchin for that matter) or send him down so he can be free in the minors.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Star Platinum

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Smiith has been pretty much what I expected. We have to remember that he is stepping up to the NHL from the NCAA as a 19 year old and who is still filling out his frame while having a very cerebral play style that likely takes time to adjust to playing in the NHL. He is also playing with line mates he never played with before after having spent the last two years stapled to the same two players with Leonard and Perrault. I expect Smith to have a rough rookie year but I hope that he starts to show flashes of figuring it out by the end of the year. Even though he has not been very noticeable he has not made any heinous plays or decisions and he has shown flashes of skill that few players of the team can match. I am not panicking in the slightest about his slow start.

Reactions: MackAttack71

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Smiith has been pretty much what I expected. We have to remember that he is stepping up to the NHL from the NCAA as a 19 year old and who is still filling out his frame while having a very cerebral play style that likely takes time to adjust to playing in the NHL. He is also playing with line mates he never played with before after having spent the last two years stapled to the same two players with Leonard and Perrault. I expect Smith to have a rough rookie year but I hope that he starts to show flashes of figuring it out by the end of the year. Even though he has not been very noticeable he has not made any heinous plays or decisions and he has shown flashes of skill that few players of the team can match. I am not panicking in the slightest about his slow start.
I was going to say much of what you said here. Smith has moved from linemates that knew each other inherently.
Now he has to learn a new skill, different players. That takes time.
To reiterate the point, he hasn’t made glaring mistakes. Mistakes to be certain, welcome to the NHL.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
This is the same way the board responded to Smith not looking the best last year to start the season. He is a very cerebral player and it takes him time to download all the information he sees on the ice and see what he can do. It’s why him playing the lowest amount of ice time on the team is concerning. He needs reps. I would also love to see them occasionally start a PP with the second unit because he would really benefit from the puck touches he will get on the PP.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Did anyone else watch the Ducks game last night? Cutter Gauthier got benched twice, the second time after he was responsible for a Utah goal. He didn't play again for the final 15 minutes of the 3rd period and overtime.

I think it should make everyone less panicky about Smith that a guy a year older and significantly bigger than him who was also a top 5 pick is going through the same struggles. It's really hard to make the jump from college to the NHL.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Smith has had 1.6 minutes of PP time and Michkov has had 16 minutes of PP time. Both have 0 ES points. Michkov is a -3 and we all know the one play that gave Smith his -1. Michkov has only played 3 more ES minutes across 3 games. Yes Michkov has better possession numbers but it’s not like he is outplaying Smith because of his ES play.

If Smith had 16 minutes of PP time I have no doubt he would have at least 2 points and the narrative would be completely different.

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
Will smith will be fine, he is still getting his feet under him every prospect is different. I remember at the start of last year some were worried about his start to the college year and he ended up leading the NCAA in points

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I think Will Smith will be a good player. I think two things are happening at the same time right now. One is that the adjustment of skipping a level and going straight to the NHL is a lot for him to adjust to right now and that part is unavoidable. The second thing is that the struggle he's going through is being compounded by his head coach not putting him in a position to succeed because he's more concerned with winning than development.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think Will Smith will be a good player. I think two things are happening at the same time right now. One is that the adjustment of skipping a level and going straight to the NHL is a lot for him to adjust to right now and that part is unavoidable. The second thing is that the struggle he's going through is being compounded by his head coach not putting him in a position to succeed because he's more concerned with winning than development.
Become a Habs fan if you want to follow a team that values "development" over winning. Sure they give up six goals a game despite Montembeault standing on his head but at least Caufield gets his empty calorie points and Hutson is allowed to do five million head fakes on the perimeter before turning the puck over with no support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad