GWT: PL Matchweek Catch-Up into (mostly) MW18 & MW19

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gotcha, missed this. Hope that Gilmour is in for him, then.
With the high press Leicester usually uses, we needed someone who is going to play deep and can break the press. I'd certainly prefer that to be Gilmour, but chances are Lampard will start Jorginho there again.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I am pretty sure to state that common sense dictates the most wealthiest clubs have resources and the aura to attract top end youth talent regardless of any area or region. Just look at Ajax, they're better at development than any club in Ligue 1 and they get all that youth talent is because they're known as the best team in the Netherlands. Citeh has some of the best youth players across Europe and that's because they can give high wages at a very early age. That's how Barca and Real Madrid always normally have either the best Spanish or Brasilian/South American prodigy in their youth ranks all the time (likewise with Bayern and German kids like Kimmich). Remember when that Korean kid was supposed to be the next Messi? Well, Barca bought him because he knew he would have a great chance to develop at Barcelona over any other club because kids know how big these clubs are. Lyon is just an exception to this rule, not the norm.
Again not true.
Le Havre has been in L2 for a long time and are doing great.
Youth scouting, infrastructure, youth coaching, those mean a lot.
I'd also say Lyon is now a better academy than Ajax. At least on par.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If they weren't in the same section of the table as us, I would want us to recall Gallagher and send him to Southampton. Feels unfair that he should have to endure Sam.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
That's happened since Bowen, though. I feel like the Bowen signing in January 2020 was the first Championship --> Premier League transfer to succeed in a long while.

Yeah maybe, but there were three very good ones this last summer that I can think of. Cash and Watkins to Villa from Forest and Brentford, and Eze to Palace from QPR.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That's happened since Bowen, though. I feel like the Bowen signing in January 2020 was the first Championship --> Premier League transfer to succeed in a long while.
Webster and Maupay have both been pretty good for Brighton. Webster really consistent since making the step up!

Reactions: AB13

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Feeling less confident after seeing that Leicester is starting their top squad.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Will be an interesting game. I think Chelsea are playing their strongest possible front three tonight. Leicester will fancy their chances though, Chelsea lack natural passing in midfield and could be exposed in transition.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Will be an interesting game. I think Chelsea are playing their strongest possible front three tonight. Leicester will fancy their chances though, Chelsea lack natural passing in midfield and could be exposed in transition.
The logic of using Kovacic deep to drive the ball up the field, Mount as a box to box, and Havertz with more freedom to attack makes sense. We'll see how the three of them work though.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The logic of using Kovacic deep to drive the ball up the field, Mount as a box to box, and Havertz with more freedom to attack makes sense. We'll see how the three of them work though.

Does not make much sense to me. No one who can dictate from deep in that midfield, and little defensive balance.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Does not make much sense to me. No one who can dictate from deep in that midfield, and little defensive balance.
Kovacic can, that is what he is best at. He was one of the best midfielders in the league last season at progressive passing and runs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad