PK Subban is the GOAT.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Yup, he was all laugh though, but still...

I'm OK with being tough on players, but there's specific times where you have to say something nice, and that was one of them.

Despite the laugh it gave me the feeling he simply didnt want to talk about Subban.

Yeah, when Therrien was turning red and sending out his fourth line, PK was taking the game by the balls and making **** happen .

I think Therrien needs to understand which players hold the key to his continued employment.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, when Therrien was turning red and sending out his fourth line, PK was taking the game by the balls and making **** happen .

I think Therrien needs to understand which players hold the key to his continued employment.

pretty much, and even as an outsider it's easy to see. We all know the day PK tells Bergevin he only wants to sgn till UFA as he doesnt want to play for MT anymore, then the guy is done as a coach.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It pains the coach so much to say anything positive about the best player on the team. That is very strange. PK and Price are keeping this clown employed.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It pains the coach so much to say anything positive about the best player on the team. That is very strange. PK and Price are keeping this clown employed.
We saw what happened to this team without Price. I can't even imagine what the play would be like out there without Subban.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I don't see it that way at all. Clearly the way he plays no one is holding him back. Consistency is the issue in his case. At his best his dominant like no other dman in the world, but there were too many games this season where he simply wasn't there.

Let's hope he's just saving his best for the last stretch of the season and the playoffs.

Yes, Subban has started dumping the puck in and forcing passes instead of setting up zone entries because he feels like it. Therrien wants Subban to play like Gorges and other D-men who need to make the safe play because they don't have the skill to do otherwise. Subban is visibly making an effort not to make what, for him but not for Gorges, is the better play and the mental gear changing slows him down. Once the game is out of reach (4-1 Ottawa for example) you can see he stops worrying (it can't get worse, Therrien probably isn't paying attention) and plays the way he should be playing every night.

To get Subban's best he needs confidence. He needs to be able to take risks. Subban taking risks is higher percentage than dumping the puck in both for scoring and defending.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Therrien, as a former player who put in more effort than ability, respects effort over ability. To a certain degree this instills team responsibility. At the moment he's hampering his stars and bringing them down to the level of his role players. Good thing he can't stop Price from doing what he does.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I could see Therrien watching Subban and saying something like "why can't he play more like josh!"

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
IMO. PK is the best player on this team and that goes far beyond this game or this season. He is clutch and that is what I care about. Price is 2nd best...he's our MVP this season but you can't deny how important and clutch PK has been ever since he was beasting in the playoffs in his rookie season.

Your conveniently forgetting that PK is going through his worse season, he has been bad for 2 months. Price kept us in it this year, Price is the sole reason why we are in the fight.

Price has been the best player this year. You ask any non Habs fan, they will tell you, Price is the reason for the Habs success, he was clutch for us for 4 months, one game doesn't make a season.

That being said PK has the most talent on the team, he has what it takes to be the best, he just hasn't put it all together yet. He has so much raw talent but I honestly believe he lacks some hockey IQ, like upper level stuff, that is where Price has him beat, Price can usually see a play unfold and know where to position himself, same thing with Markov, Markov has no where near Subban's raw talent or skills but Markov has been one of the best in this league because of his insane hockey IQ, he can see stuff unfold before it happens, kind of like Gretzky could but obviously not at that level.

Claimed Off Waivers

Mar 2, 2007
Montreal
Yup, he was all laugh though, but still...

I'm OK with being tough on players, but there's specific times where you have to say something nice, and that was one of them.

Despite the laugh it gave me the feeling he simply didnt want to talk about Subban.

Therrien has been such a petty little child during his little beef with Subban. The guy seriously needs to grow up.

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013
Therrien has been such a petty little child during his little beef with Subban. The guy seriously needs to grow up.

Have to agree.

His inability to credit Subban anytime throughout the season has become disgusting.

Most players would have shot the puck with 1 second on the clock. The reason we tied the game was because of Subban's heads up play.

Therrien "Yeah, I guess he made the right play."

No Michel, he made the play that few players in this league would make, tied the game up and allowed this team to get 2 points instead of 0 and snapped this horrendous losing streak this team was on. Know who butters your bread.

edit: Someone needs to make a compilation video of every time Therrien is forced to talk about PK. Therrien looks almost like he's in pain.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
edit: Someone needs to make a compilation video of every time Therrien is forced to talk about PK. Therrien looks almost like he's in pain.

That x 1000.

It's not just about the quotes, it's his whole body language and facial expressions. MT just doesn't like PK.

It still baffles me that Markov gets as much TOI. We know what will happen: he'll run out of gas by the end of the season and have a poor showing in the playoffs. Markov is the one who's TOI needs to be managed, not Subban.

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013
Also have to add, how often do we see Subban go end to end with the puck and make something happen on a nightly basis? We've become so used to him doing this that it doesn't even surprise us anymore, but really, not many players in this league have that ability.

We (nevermind Therrien) are lucky to watch this talent night in night out.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Your conveniently forgetting that PK is going through his worse season, he has been bad for 2 months. Price kept us in it this year, Price is the sole reason why we are in the fight.

Price has been the best player this year. You ask any non Habs fan, they will tell you, Price is the reason for the Habs success, he was clutch for us for 4 months, one game doesn't make a season.

That being said PK has the most talent on the team, he has what it takes to be the best, he just hasn't put it all together yet. He has so much raw talent but I honestly believe he lacks some hockey IQ, like upper level stuff, that is where Price has him beat, Price can usually see a play unfold and know where to position himself, same thing with Markov, Markov has no where near Subban's raw talent or skills but Markov has been one of the best in this league because of his insane hockey IQ, he can see stuff unfold before it happens, kind of like Gretzky could but obviously not at that level.

Asking fans who don't watch the habs is a stupid idea, but I agree, price has been our best player this year, but collectively for the past 3 years it's Subban and Pleks rather easily imo.

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC

I would love to sit and talk hockey with PK. I am not sure it is his hockey IQ or that he just can't play in a system. A la Lafleur in his career, he played on his instincts of act and react to the opposing players' movements. Lafleur could NOT play in a system, it just didn't work for him so Lemaire and Shutt used their hockey smarts to adjust to Lafleur game. It is possible that PK plays the same way and needs a partner who can adjust to him.

Subban gets 3 assists last night and is -1 for the night which means he was on the ice for the 4 goals against the Habs. Look where the Ottawa's goals were scored, right in the slot, players coming down main street with no d-men in sight. How does this happen in the NHL? Atom or Peewee hockey maybe. Where was the back coverage by the forward on the trailer? I can see how PK could drive a head coach to want to pull his hair out but it's also time for Therrien stopped pulling back so hard on the reigns and learn to live with PK's talents. Easy up a bit and let him loose when we are behind. Pk needs to be challenged to play better defense and a kick in the pants from time to time when he strays too far off track but he also needs the pat on the back and the praise of the coach at the right time. It's a fine line for a coach to walk and we are not privy to the day to day conversations between the PK and his coaches or teammates. I don't listen to the medias crap and speculations about Therrien and PK's relationship because they are just looking for ratings and don't know much about the game. I see PK like a wild mustang that you need to hold tight on the reigns to stay on the trail and loosen the grip in the open field and enjoy the ride. But if you pull back too hard all the time then he just becomes a plow horse so why get the mustang in the first place.

Just my thoughts

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
<3 PK. He basically willed us to the win last night.
Puts a puck right on Gio's tape to be tipped for 4-3.
Amazingly holds the line multiple times at the end then gifts DD the tying goal with a great pass.
Vanek also had a tap in off a PK slap pass that he missed.

My only real criticism of PK at this point, and it sounds odd considering I just praised some great passes and he shoots a lot, but he needs to shoot more.
So often he'll dangle and put himself in a perfect position to put a wrister on net but instead he'll look for the pretty passing play that amounts to nothing. He needs a little more Karlsson mentality in those situations.

Claimed Off Waivers

Mar 2, 2007
Montreal
Have to agree.

His inability to credit Subban anytime throughout the season has become disgusting.

Most players would have shot the puck with 1 second on the clock. The reason we tied the game was because of Subban's heads up play.

Therrien "Yeah, I guess he made the right play."

No Michel, he made the play that few players in this league would make, tied the game up and allowed this team to get 2 points instead of 0 and snapped this horrendous losing streak this team was on. Know who butters your bread.

He's obviously still sore about PK winning the Norris and making him look like a complete idiot with egg on his face. The guy's ego is out of control and I could seriously see him benching PK in a playoff OT to drill home another one of his stupid little messages.

When Subban's career is over, I hope he writes a book about his life and career. I'm sure he won't have many nice things to say about good ole Michel.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I would love to sit and talk hockey with PK. I am not sure it is his hockey IQ or that he just can't play in a system. A la Lafleur in his career, he played on his instincts of act and react to the opposing players' movements. Lafleur could NOT play in a system, it just didn't work for him so Lemaire and Shutt used their hockey smarts to adjust to Lafleur game. It is possible that PK plays the same way and needs a partner who can adjust to him.

Subban gets 3 assists last night and is -1 for the night which means he was on the ice for the 4 goals against the Habs. Look where the Ottawa's goals were scored, right in the slot, players coming down main street with no d-men in sight. How does this happen in the NHL? Atom or Peewee hockey maybe. Where was the back coverage by the forward on the trailer? I can see how PK could drive a head coach to want to pull his hair out but it's also time for Therrien stopped pulling back so hard on the reigns and learn to live with PK's talents. Easy up a bit and let him loose when we are behind. Pk needs to be challenged to play better defense and a kick in the pants from time to time when he strays too far off track but he also needs the pat on the back and the praise of the coach at the right time. It's a fine line for a coach to walk and we are not privy to the day to day conversations between the PK and his coaches or teammates. I don't listen to the medias crap and speculations about Therrien and PK's relationship because they are just looking for ratings and don't know much about the game. I see PK like a wild mustang that you need to hold tight on the reigns to stay on the trail and loosen the grip in the open field and enjoy the ride. But if you pull back too hard all the time then he just becomes a plow horse so why get the mustang in the first place.

Just my thoughts

I completely agree with you, all I know about Shut and Lemaire are from my dad but I do know that Guy had immense talent and it wasn't fully recoginized / embraced in Montreal and PK has that same level of talent but he has more loyalty than Guy had, I don't care what people say, Subban is a loyal hab and he always will be.

Pk's biggest problem is he doesn't have someone to pass to, imagine your a mustang that rushes up the ice to find out that all the donkey's and Heinz 57 horses are just breaking into the neutral zone.

That's life as a genius, everyone is always more than 2 steps behind.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

What exactly are you trying to say? I clearly said Price is our best player THIS SEASON.

What exactly am I conveniently forgetting by saying PK is the best player on this team? Unlike some people here. I look at a player's productivity in its totality, not just 10, 15, 20 game cycles. Despite having a bad year, he's still 4th in points and is a +3. He's tops in the team in points and is having his worst season. Think about that for a second.

I'm confused. I clearly said Price is the MVP this season. I don't even understand your post. Just you trying to discredit PK and bring up other players for some reason.

I have re-read my post twice and have no idea how it prompted that response.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
What exactly are you trying to say? I clearly said Price is our best player THIS SEASON.

What exactly am I conveniently forgetting by saying PK is the best player on this team? Unlike some people here. I look at a player's productivity in its totality, not just 10, 15, 20 game cycles. Despite having a bad year, he's still 4th in points and is a +3. He's tops in the team in points and is having his worst season. Think about that for a second.

I'm confused. I clearly said Price is the MVP this season. I don't even understand your post. Just you trying to discredit PK and bring up other players for some reason.

I have re-read my post twice and have no idea how it prompted that response.
you haven't, re read them again because apparently, you can't read

the fact that PK is first is points is a bad thing for this team. he has no one to pass to, he rushes up the ice and is left flat. he is left to dry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad