Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Remember that PLD can be bought out at 1/3rd of his contract. I didn't do the math but if Washington was thinking about buying out Kuemper then perhaps buying out PLD is cheaper.
It’s probably trying kuemper for a year and if it doesn’t work, buy him out next summer

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Remember that PLD can be bought out at 1/3rd of his contract.
Only if Florida gets it done on Friday. PLD turns 26 on Monday, and the buyout window starts 48 hours after the SC is awarded. So if Florida wins G6, Washington has like an hour to do the buyout at 1/3 lol. And if it goes 7, then the buyout is at 2/3

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Kuemper has been bad the last two years… I mean LA getting out of that contract is huge. But they’re still stuck with a shitty goalie.
But...PLD was an absolute aircraft carrier anchor. I don't think of this as a trade for a goalie. They basically bought out the remaining 59.5M on PLDs contract for the 15,750,000 remaining on Keumpers. Yes, Darcy sucks but that wasn't the point.

The point is Rob Blake traded for and signed PLD. That should have cost him his job.

Last edited:

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Honestly, if the Avs were willing to get nothing more than a draft pick back they could probably deal Val to San Jose or the Blue Jackets IF they were willing to sacrifice a high pick for it:

To San Jose: Val and 2025 1st Round Pick (Top 15 protected; 2026 otherwise)
To Colorado: 2024 3nd Round Pick (or something like that)

Pure salary dump/get rid of the problem. For the Sharks its "We got a 1st round pick and potentially a Top 6 forward, we'll be patient with Val, etc."

Its a lousy deal for the Avs for sure but it lets them sign the players they want this summer and wiggle room going forward.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Woah, I take lunch break and crazy things start happening.

Pretty hilarious trade. Come on CMac, find a way to get rid of Nuke today. It's kind of funny because I had thought a little about a Kuemper/Nuke swap honestly.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
All it takes is NYR to trade back from #30 to one of SJS 2nds for future considerations or some junk prospect and Grier is fine.
Backroom considerations are granted more often than we think IMO

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I could actually see Kuemper doing well in LA.
PLD just seems like he'll be a problem anywhere he goes look at the quotes when he was joining LA:

"I saw an opportunity with the LA Kings that to me was like a dream come true," Dubois said. "With this organization, to be able to play with this team, to get to work and play with some players that I looked up to when I was a kid, I think it's going to be a really fun experience."

Dubois felt he was leaving problem teams that had hampered his career.
That's a terrible contract for Washington to take on one of the worst in the league imo.
Not sure what they're thinking.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
bring Trouba in after he is bought out
Trouba combined with the Avs PK and goaltending would be akin to getting Justin Timberlake as your next Uber driver.

I could actually see Kuemper doing well in LA.
PLD just seems like he'll be a problem anywhere he goes look at the quotes when he was joining LA:

"I saw an opportunity with the LA Kings that to me was like a dream come true," Dubois said. "With this organization, to be able to play with this team, to get to work and play with some players that I looked up to when I was a kid, I think it's going to be a really fun experience."

Dubois felt he was leaving problem teams that had hampered his career.
That's a terrible contract for Washington to take on one of the worst in the league imo.
Not sure what they're thinking.
They’re desperate to upgrade their team by any means necessary over the next year-plus so Ovechkin gets that record. After he gets it they won’t care but that’s their goal for now. Once he breaks it and moves on or retires they’ll blow it up and start over, but not until then.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Top picks from the 2016 draft:

#1. Auston Matthews, the best goalscorer of his generation
#2. Patrik Laine, about to move to his 3rd NHL team
#3. Pierre-Luc Dubois: on his 4th NHL team
#4. Jesse Puljujärvi: on his 3rd NHL team, went to Europe for some time as well
#5. Olli Juolevi: playing in Liiga

Even if you get a top pick, no guarantee on it hitting

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
Too bad SJ retained on Hertl. I’d imagine they could flip Goodrow for at least a second, if not a first, immediately (certainly at the deadline) at 50% retained. Oh well, I guess they’ll do that a year and a half from now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
ok. you know best
#40+#51 got #27
going from #30 to #33 or #40 for some former 3rd rounder isn't going to light the league on fire.

That isn't what you said at all....

There's a gigantic difference between trading down and getting an additional pick/prospect, versus trading down literally for future considerations.

If NYR and SJS tried to complete a trade tomorrow of pick #30 for pick #40 + Future considerations, it would 100% be rejected by the league and an investigation would then be initiated by the NHLPA on what went on with Goodrow.

Now, could we see a #30 for #40 + #85 or something? Sure... But then that also simply doesn't change anything about the fact they took Goodrow for free when they easily should have gotten a 2nd or 3rd to get him.

Reactions: LOFIN

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So Mikko trade should be announced soon with all the moves starting to happen. It’s gonna be Mikko for bunch of draft picks. Waiting for that one

Reactions: Brett44

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That isn't what you said at all....

There's a gigantic difference between trading down and getting an additional pick/prospect, versus trading down literally for future considerations.

If NYR and SJS tried to complete a trade tomorrow of pick #30 for pick #40 + Future considerations, it would 100% be rejected by the league and an investigation would then be initiated by the NHLPA on what went on with Goodrow.
I said it also could be a prospect. And at the draft isn't tomorrow. 30 to 33 isn't exactly a leap that would be rejected IMO
but we can disagree and I'll take the loss to your more knowledgeable insight

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I said it also could be a prospect. And at the draft isn't tomorrow. 30 to 33 isn't exactly a leap that would be rejected IMO
You are allowed to make stupid trades, it's not about that. It's about the NHLPA looking at it and seeing how SJ and NYR clearly circumvented the NTC that Goodrow had negotiated on his deal. It would cause a big uproar.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It is still a clear flat-out loss and then blatant NTC circumvention. There's no way it would be approved 1 for 1.

I wonder... Norris for Couturier would be an interesting swap.

Chychrun also feels like a Flyers type of player to me.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You are allowed to make stupid trades, it's not about that. It's about the NHLPA looking at it and seeing how SJ and NYR clearly circumvented the NTC that Goodrow had negotiated on his deal. It would cause a big uproar.
ok, I'll defer to you both.
to me it really isn't much different than threatening a player with waivers to get him to move (McDonagh to Nashville for a bit). Just that McDonagh played ball. I'm sure the return trade didn't factor in any previous considerations there either

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Briere is rebuilding and Ottawa is trying to get over the hump.

I'm pretty sure the Flyers are aiming for the Sens' 7th OA pick, I've no clue what would be going the other way though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad