Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Again, I like to *hear* this kind of stuff from the coach. It's an acknowledgment, at least, of what went wrong. Better than Bylsma's constant cookie cutter "we didn't get to our game". In that sense, Johnston's a breath of fresh air.

However, at some point I'm more interested in *seeing* these words play out on the ice. We've heard the coaching staff break down what went wrong a few times this year, we've even heard Tocchet specifically talk about "too many passengers". But then they come out the next night and look even worse.

Less talk, more do, please.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Again, I like to *hear* this kind of stuff from the coach. It's an acknowledgment, at least, of what went wrong. Better than Bylsma's constant cookie cutter "we didn't get to our game". In that sense, Johnston's a breath of fresh air.

However, at some point I'm more interested in *seeing* these words play out on the ice. We've heard the coaching staff break down what went wrong a few times this year, we've even heard Tocchet specifically talk about "too many passengers". But then they come out the next night and look even worse.

Less talk, more do, please.

Yep, and we have heard Perron say similar. So when I hear him coming from a new team, stating that guys aren't working hard enough, that is really telling. Very troubling.

It is what many on this board have been saying for awhile now, about the sense of "established accomplishment"/"resting on their laurels", this team seems to be effected with.

Perron was asked if he was someone that could talk to the team about their work ethic (paraphrasing) and he said as a new player to the team, he isn't about to do that.

Hopefully they can find some drive and desire tomorrow. If we can't beat a lousy Flyers team, rivalry boost they (Philly) get be damned, it will be very disappointing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
gonna assume that second 19 was supposed to be 17 (Comeau) in that last tweet, unless Beau is injured again (which is never out of the realm of possibility).

Hoping that if we don't get another LW, that Geno gets 17 and 19, Sid gets 72 and 39 (on the LW) and Goc gets 13 and Arco/Farnham/Rust leaving
Kunitz and Downie for Sutter with no place for Adams or Sill.

That would be best for Sid and Geno. Unfortunately, too many see balance as a better catalyst to victory than prioritizing what's best for Sid and Geno.

EDIT: BTW, big kudos to Mackey for specifically asking MJ basically WTF with Arcebello playing with Geno and Bennett. And, MJ with his 'well, we wanted to see what he could do\, as if that should ever have been a consideration in a game like Sunday's, was every bit as vapid as a Bylsma rationalization. Hyperbole? Perhaps. But, really, that answer is that ******* stupid.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
In what year? Rathje was a pretty useful player back when there was one D on every pairing who was just expected to either pin a forward to the wall or crosscheck somebody in front of the net. Well, until his back gave out, anyway.

I mean, he'd have been dead weight in 2006, but in the summer of 2003, that wouldn't have been a terrible idea. He'd have been more useful (on the ice) than Bergevin, that's for sure.

No, he was adamant the Rathje was THE answer., not depth. And then when Gonchar was signed he railed against it, and every goal the pens surrendered he reminded us that he had in fact told us that they should have signed rathje. Meanwhile, Rathje was horrible at the time.

It was the Pens board version of "Skoula has puck poise".

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I think a few thins are obvious:

1) Pens may not be a legit cup contender.

2) I don't see the Pens going far as long as their defense stands as constructed.
They really really ned a top four defensive defenseman.
They have none and it shows in the past two games.

A Marc Staal type is imo as big a void nearly as a winger.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I think a few thins are obvious:

1) Pens may not be a legit cup contender.

2) I don't see the Pens going far as long as their defense stands as constructed.
They really really ned a top four defensive defenseman.
They have none and it shows in the past two games.

A Marc Staal type is imo as big a void nearly as a winger.

Some corrections:

1) One or two correct moves they are.

2) Letang, Ehrhoff, and Martin are Top 4 defenseman but too much of the same type.

3) That's why I mentioned soon to be UFA Marc Methot months ago and don't underestimate the desperate need for a power forward. ;)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
No, he was adamant the Rathje was THE answer., not depth. And then when Gonchar was signed he railed against it, and every goal the pens surrendered he reminded us that he had in fact told us that they should have signed rathje. Meanwhile, Rathje was horrible at the time.

Regarding the bold, I can't even begin to think about knowing what to say about that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The "Stankey Cup" was one of the best things to ever come out of this particular board. At least the guy was good natured about his mistake, but the photoshops people made were hilarious. I think that cat even changed his username to Stankey Cup.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I think we see the real MJ after the all star break. So far I like his demeanor and hockey mentality. After the break is where I expect him to more firmly move from new coach to the coach. From words to actions.

My crystal ball says something has to give for our skill guys to set the right example and play the system. We have been forcing turnovers entering the zone, not using smart dump and chase when better options aren't there. I thought eddy o was doing a very on point job of critiquing the pens vs the Rangers. The pens do not like to play the type of hockey that wins tough games. And the reality is, the playoffs are tough games. Divisional games are tough games.

Tying it back up. I want Johnson to reward guys playing the system. Even if it means setting an example by reducing ice time for our top 6 should they not play the system. I'll take a loss to make a point. This lineup could be great, if we played the right way. Away from our end.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Actions speak louder than words.

But at least the words let you know he's seeing things. The past 5 years were devoid of actions and words.

It's refreshing to at least hear the words. There's been a lot of injuries, slumps, and the like to delay the actions. The real test for the actions is coming. You can't blame the guy for wanting to test out different idea (even if they seem counter intuitive). Doing stuff like Malkin on the wing, he now knows for sure that's not a good idea. We haven't seen it since.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
But at least the words let you know he's seeing things. The past 5 years were devoid of actions and words.

It's refreshing to at least hear the words. There's been a lot of injuries, slumps, and the like to delay the actions. The real test for the actions is coming. You can't blame the guy for wanting to test out different idea (even if they seem counter intuitive). Doing stuff like Malkin on the wing, he now knows for sure that's not a good idea. We haven't seen it since.

No it makes it weirder to see him speak those words that seem to be right, but then do the exact opposite on the ice. Makes it seem so bizarre.

'Farnham is great, he's such as asset to the team"....sent down.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
No it makes it weirder to see him speak those words that seem to be right, but then do the exact opposite on the ice. Makes it seem so bizarre.

'Farnham is great, he's such as asset to the team"....sent down.

And he's back up. It's not like they cut the kid. There was a roster/cap crunch and he was the one easily shipped down to make room.

I like Farnham as a player as well, but some people going nuts over his demotion are a bit much.

If anything the Farnham Cult should be ecstatic about everything since he was sent down. He was shown to truly be an asset to the team, look how bad they were without him.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yep, and we have heard Perron say similar. So when I hear him coming from a new team, stating that guys aren't working hard enough, that is really telling. Very troubling.

It is what many on this board have been saying for awhile now, about the sense of "established accomplishment"/"resting on their laurels", this team seems to be effected with.

Perron was asked if he was someone that could talk to the team about their work ethic (paraphrasing) and he said as a new player to the team, he isn't about to do that.

Hopefully they can find some drive and desire tomorrow. If we can't beat a lousy Flyers team, rivalry boost they (Philly) get be damned, it will be very disappointing.

Where did the Perron stuff come from? I missed it.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Count me in the column of people who are encouraged by hearing the right words. With DB, there was an inability or unwillingness to acknowledge what was (frequently) going wrong. This new coaching staff seems to get it. They're perceptive. The next step is having the players do the things the coaches are saying.

And unlike a lot of people, I'm not ready to eviscerate the coaching staff for each and every roster decision. It seems that people want to extrapolate a world of meaning from each call up or roster move. It's gotten to the point of hysteria. On the whole, I'm actually very happy with the amount of experimentation being done both up front and on D, regardless of how I feel about each individual move on a day to day basis.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
And he's back up. It's not like they cut the kid. There was a roster/cap crunch and he was the one easily shipped down to make room.

I like Farnham as a player as well, but some people going nuts over his demotion are a bit much.

If anything the Farnham Cult should be ecstatic about everything since he was sent down. He was shown to truly be an asset to the team, look how bad they were without him.

He shouldn't have been sent down in the first place. They could have sent Sill down instead.

And that's the problem. As you said Farnham has shown himself to be an asset to the team, while Sill....well he hasn't.

Adams, I can see why, with his stupid 35+ contract BS.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
He shouldn't have been sent down in the first place. They could have sent Sill down instead.

And that's the problem. As you said Farnham has shown himself to be an asset to the team, while Sill....well he hasn't.

One needs to go through waivers, one doesn't - at least I think Sill needs to go through waivers. Now, if Sill would have any chance to be claimed is another question...

BobCole

May 21, 2014

It's possible, in fact completely normal, for an organization to be very high on a player despite sending him to/from the farm team. There are a million completely legitimate reasons that Farnham may have been sent back/forth to WBS. I'm not ready to tear the coaching staff a new a-hole simply because - in a vacuum - I'd rather have Farnham over Sill on the roster on a given night while they have Sill in instead.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

Either way it's a 4th liner who's a "AAAA player". It's not the root of any problem, just preference.

If he was calling Bennett an asset and then playing him 8 minutes a night on the 4th line and sending him to the press box for 3 out of 5 games, then we'd have something substantial.

Once they get back Honqvist and Comeau, Farnham and Sill won't be playing.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Either way it's a 4th liner who's a "AAAA player". It's not the root of any problem, just preference.

If he was calling Bennett an asset and then playing him 8 minutes a night on the 4th line and sending him to the press box for 3 out of 5 games, then we'd have something substantial.

Once they get back Honqvist and Comeau, Farnham and Sill won't be playing.

One can only hope so.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The guy says everything right. This is why I keep taking a deep breath and waiting. You cannot deny he's saying ALL of the right things.

Still a ton of empty talk as far as I'm concerned. Very Bylsma-esque.

Sill (Glass) brings energy. He doesn't

He's dead set of having Kunitz with Sid "We've got a line there"

And of course, it looks like Sutter is being prioritized and Beau will be back in his rightful place beside him.

Doesn't talk about Adams, but why should he? His place in the lineup is cemented.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of things, but in the end, despite some cosmetic changes and a coach who uses a lot of 10 dollar words, it's the same old happy family.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Still a ton of empty talk as far as I'm concerned. Very Bylsma-esque.

Sill (Glass) brings energy. He doesn't

He's dead set of having Kunitz with Sid "We've got a line there"

And of course, it looks like Sutter is being prioritized and Beau will be back in his rightful place beside him.

Doesn't talk about Adams, but why should he? His place in the lineup is cemented.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of things, but in the end, despite some cosmetic changes and a coach who uses a lot of 10 dollar words, it's the same old happy family.
When did Dan Bylsma ever play Chris Kunitz on the third line for an extended period of time? It's very possible that when Coms is back he's Line 2 LW, Horns is Line 1 RW, and Kunitz is back down with Suttsy if his play hasn't picked up by then...

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
With 2 guys from the projected Top 6 out because of injury, I don't see why people are so upset that Kunitz is filling in on the top line. Who else do you want up there? Sill? Goc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad