GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Montreal Canadiens- 11/18/14 7:30pm EST RDS(HD), SNE,TSN 690

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Nick Kypreos and that's not a misquote he said 10 teams
Aw shucks.

Do those ten teams have our goaltending and defensive depth? Why is only centre depth important - why didn't Pittsburgh with the cup all those years with Staal on the 3rd line then?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
who?

seriously tho ten other teams? I can see a few Chicago, LA, Penguins, maybe the Ducks... outside of that I'm not sold on anyone being objectivley cup contenders ahead of us. A lot of other teams can beat us, but the idea that that are ten teams that can beat us is stupid

His list probably includes yesterday's contenders like Boston and Vancouver. It definitely includes Tampa, which seems reasonable until you realize that the Bolts have zero playoff success, Bishop has zero playoff experience, and even their current record isn't as good as Montreal's. Better scoring? Absolutely. But depth, goaltending, defense and experience all go to Montreal. Tampa's a great team, but they've been anointed a contender before accomplishing anything.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
You're not a real university student until you skip studying to watch the game and get up at 5-6am to study for your exam that day.

So don't be a wuss!

I live so far from school that I have to get up at 6 AM anyways.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
His list probably includes yesterday's contenders like Boston and Vancouver. It definitely includes Tampa, which seems reasonable until you realize that the Bolts have zero playoff success, Bishop has zero playoff experience, and even their current record isn't as good as Montreal's. Better scoring? Absolutely. But depth, goaltending, defense and experience all go to Montreal. Tampa's a great team, but they've been anointed a contender before accomplishing anything.

Montreal don't get no respect. It's mostly familiarity and contempt and mostly the fact that no one knows **** all about Tampa Bay and they just see some big names there. They have a good team, we have a proven team... and we squashed them in the playoffs in a sweep.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Montreal don't get no respect. It's mostly familiarity and contempt and mostly the fact that no one knows **** all about Tampa Bay and they just see some big names there. They have a good team, we have a proven team... and we squashed them in the playoffs in a sweep.

Tampa is getting Vancouver circa a few years over hyped.

They seems to forget that their D really isn't that great.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So now this thread is becoming a trial of Tampa's chances? They didn't have their no. 1 goalie when we beat them last year.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
So now this thread is becoming a trial of Tampa's chances? They didn't have their no. 1 goalie when we beat them last year.
Their number 1 goalie could easily turn out to be a flash in the pan, like so many other number 1 goalies. Ours is true and tested and definitively great.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Their number 1 goalie could easily turn out to be a flash in the pan, like so many other number 1 goalies. Ours is true and tested and definitively great.

Not comparing ours to theirs.

Merely tempering the statement about how MTL easily defeated them last year. Plus, playoffs are unpredictable. We may or may not be able to replicate what we did.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
It's a known fact that MTL doesn't get any respect from other fans, media and possibly even other teams. People still think we're that 2009-2012 team: overly small, low scoring, no talent, old. Just a few days ago on Edmonton TSN radio, their host (the equivalent of Mitch Melnick in MTL) said " A guy like Carey Price is one 80% of the time and he's great and then 20% of the time he's an absolute mess. He can't stop one puck. The guy has no calmness to his game." I thought the guy was kidding since Price is probably the most even keel goaltender in the league. Then I realized he was serious. People still associate Price as the rookie who made the team in 2007-2008. Unless you watch the Habs on a daily basis, you don't know the huge strides they've taken in recent years. I expect this from other teams' fan but media should do their job. Guys like Kypreos talk a lot but don't watch nearly enough hockey to make some of the statements they do.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Tampa is good, cup contenders? probably not, not well rounded enough IMO.
I think they have similar struggles to us over last couple years, they have a stud scorer and stud goal keep, and a stud D, but they need more secondary scoring, and stronger D. If they get that, they will contend, if we get that we will also contend.
As for Kypreos, I'm not sure who he blew to get the job he has.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
It's a known fact that MTL doesn't get any respect from other fans, media and possibly even other teams. People still think we're that 2009-2012 team: overly small, low scoring, no talent, old. Just a few days ago on Edmonton TSN radio, their host (the equivalent of Mitch Melnick in MTL) said " A guy like Carey Price is one 80% of the time and he's great and then 20% of the time he's an absolute mess. He can't stop one puck. The guy has no calmness to his game." I thought the guy was kidding since Price is probably the most even keel goaltender in the league. Then I realized he was serious. People still associate Price as the rookie who made the team in 2007-2008. Unless you watch the Habs on a daily basis, you don't know the huge strides they've taken in recent years. I expect this from other teams' fan but media should do their job. Guys like Kypreos talk a lot but don't watch nearly enough hockey to make some of the statements they do.

I can't believe a person could possibly think that :laugh: Just look at the guy... he's just always chill.

Tonight's a big game man... I hope I'll be able to watch at least the end!

Saintpatrick*

Let everyone underestimate us it makes it even sweeter when we prove everyone wrong.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hornqvist is a true power forward. Keep an eye on him. Too bad we didn't have make a deal with Nashville for him.

Hornqvist was one I targeted last year as a go for right here on HF.
We should try and get Doan and give him a kick at the can...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Kipper on sportsnet just said No disrespect but I would go with about 10 different teams than the habs to the cup finals. Said there are many teams with way more depth up the middle, four rounds of playoffs with DD and Plecs are your one and two not going to get you the cup.

He's not wrong. If not for the 3rd line last playoffs...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Let everyone underestimate us it makes it even sweeter when we prove everyone wrong.

No. I want us to be feared and respected.
Tywin_lannister_S3_promo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad