Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Stirring The Pot Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Disagree with this, that third pair is two guys that have averaged 25+ points a season

If Matheson gets back to being a second pair defenseman, they actually look pretty deep

If Ceci isn't working out, there are in house options that would look fine next to Pettersson
This will also be the first time in his career Ceci is actually played in an appropriate role, so not totally confident it won't work

Ceci was sheltered in Toronto, he just PKed a lot.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Reilly plays the softest minutes on Toronto. Muzzin - Holl is their shut down line.

Zone starts don’t reflect “sheltering”, they reflect who the coach starts in the dzone.

He was still getting 17 minutes at even strength and a majority of defensive starts, which are by definition not 'sheltered' minutes

Teams don't put out their fourth lines out for offensive zone draws often, do they?

I'm not some massive fan of Ceci, I just think he has more of a shot than he's getting credit for to rebound with closer to 50% defensive draws and 15ish minutes at even strength per game

Still would have rather gotten Koekkoek

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cody Ceci - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools

Ceci wasn't sheltered last year. He and Rielly faced the toughest competition among defensemen on the Leafs last year. Muzzin-Holl got the 2nd most difficult minutes as a pair.

wDTwPYb.png

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Only way I'm ok with this is if we trade Petts for a forward or else for picks and use the money on Hoffman. Otherwise what's the point of having 8 D on the NHL roster and 3 more in WBS that might be ready?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I believe Petts is going to be moved now. And that at some point this well be there defense.

dumo-letang
M & M
Riikola- Ceci
Poj - ruh

moving Petts could bring back a good bottom 6 player and frees up cap
If Petts and his freed up cap space give us an impact player for the 3rd line, either directly or by allowing someone like Kapanen or Rust to slide down, then great. Otherwise why did we do this?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If Petts and his freed up cap space give us an impact player for the 3rd line, either directly or by allowing someone like Kapanen or Rust to slide down, then great. Otherwise why did we do this?

I mean I think that’s exactly why they did this. If they can get a young forward protected from the expansion draft then I can see them protecting mm, dumo and letang.

I think they are banking on mm rebounding and gelling with Marino. Makes it easier to move on from Petts and free up the bottom pairing for poj next year.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Depth. Decent depth at a decent price. Disclaimer - I'm not a major fan of this (on top of that, I think we could have got him cheaper). That said, it's funny how most people on here recognized #6 RD was a weak point. Now, we signed a player to fill that hole and people are mad. I just went through the list and of the available players, there aren't many...if any...that I would have preferred to sign. Keokkeok may be an exception but I think it's a toss up.

I think the negativity here is mostly reactionary. Ceci himself at this price is fine...I think the only valid argument is how JR elected to use the remaining cap space. Ceci on or off this roster at that price is not what is making us a contender vs not a contender.

I think Ceci was put in the position to have to play over his ability level. Same with Matheson. Think about this, we just got two guys that were top pairing guys for their last team (results not withstanding). Ceci will likely be a good bottom pairing dman. Matheson will likely be a good 2nd or 3rd pairing dman. Both fill a hole.

I just hope that Jankowski and ERod can fill the holes the JR hopes they can.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Zucker-Geno-Kapanen
McCann-Jankowski-ERod
Sceviour-Bleuger-Tanev

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Ceci

Jarry/CDS

is likely what we are seeing on opening night save for a line differences. Poulin, POJ, and Maniscalco being the wildcards.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've got the current lineup with my preferences as:

Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Blueger-Tanev
Rodrigues-Jankowski-Sceviour
Lafferty (Laff in for EROD and Jank as needed)
IR: ZAR

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Ceci
(Pettersson-Marino taking many shifts a game together)
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

I'm assuming most people have something quite similar. The most "contested" changes being what wingers in the top 6 is with what center.

I'd prefer a more veteran backup, but perhaps that can be acquired mid-season if needed.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub

Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Blueger-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Ceci
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

I'm assuming most people have something quite similar. The most "contested" changes being what wingers in the top 6 is with what center.

I'd prefer a more veteran backup, but perhaps that can be acquired mid-season if needed.
This, but I'm not happy with 2/3rds of the 4th line.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Blueger-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Ceci
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

If Poulin sticks this will be OK. Just a whole lot of IFs going into the season that need to fall right for us.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would say the good part of it is that we likely miss the playoffs and there is no way that Lemieux and Burkle will continue to employ either if we lost a 1st that is top five.

The bad part is we likely just pissed away the rest of our contention window to sign f***ing Cody Ceci.

Signing a a crap #6D for one year did not take this team from a top 3 seed in the Metro, as you stated recently, to out of the playoffs.

I didn't even bother to post here today because I was pissed at the signing too. But come on.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I'm not really in love with those pairings, but on the other hand, I think they're a pretty good estimation of what we'll see on the ice come the season opener.

I’m intrigued by the M&M pairing. I think that could compliment each other well and be more dynamic than Petts and Marino.

I also want it to work so I can make pointless M&M jokes.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR is a hoarder of crappy hockey players.

He’s gone full Ray “low risk, high reward” Shero.

Reactions: Lustaf

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not really in love with those pairings, but on the other hand, I think they're a pretty good estimation of what we'll see on the ice come the season opener.

Unless Matheson and Ceci are some match made in reclamation project heaven, I think the smart thing to do is put Matheson in the best spot possible and that's with Marino. Petts made JJ look passable. I'm sure he can do the same with Ceci.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m intrigued by the M&M pairing. I think that could compliment each other well and be more dynamic than Petts and Marino.

I also want it to work so I can make pointless M&M jokes.

Solid reason to be fair.

If it does work then all is disco balls and unicorn farts. Both guys have the ability to break it out quick and put up points. But there's a pretty real chance Matheson can't handle the sort of minutes and responsibilities Marino should be getting, and he's going to get targeted because people don't like attacking Marino's side of the ice. And I guess we'll see how that goes.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That should about do it after another disappointing offseason here. Hopefully this is JR’s last offseason here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad