Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Everything is proceeding as I foreseen

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yinzers would absolutely cream themselves if "Fluerys" came back. Him and "Malkum" are real good friends.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's just not going to happen. Fleury wants to be a starter. Pens just made Jarry theirs. Fleury might be the story Blob Rossi pushes for more views but in reality the Flames or some other team will spend less to get him knowing the VGK are desperate to dump cap and will take anything back and it's just a matter of where MAF will waive to.

Pens will never work. Also let's be real if the VGK took Johnson + Pettersson and gave the Pens their 1st + MAF + Whitecloud then f*** the lot of you, I'll take that. I'd still want the VGK to eat 750k/yr of MAFs contract.

Bro, the Pens signed Jarry as part of a sign and trade. They have no desire to have him as a starter. Only way to increase his trade value to other teams was to do a decent contract. Done. JR waiting by telegraph now.

MAF will start. Murray will back-up.

THE BAND IS GETTING BACK TOGETHER!

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
f*** you Tom Hanks.
source.gif

Reactions: Tom Hanks

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also while we're sharing hot takes, I really think McCann will be perfectly servicable on the 3rd line, thank you very much, sorry your taste in movies is so f***ing terrible.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The "creativity" required to get Fleury back in Pittsburgh is a buyout by Vegas. That's it. That's the only way it reasonably would work.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Or... they retain and take a bad contract back.

Yeah, on the real talk for a second, if Vegas would retain and take JJ, MAF becomes a lot more palatable as a trade, IMO.

I don't think there's any reason for Vegas to do that, to be clear, I'm just saying. If it did, hypothetically, go down like that, there's way worse ways to get JJ off the roster.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't even think that would work, to be honest. Even Fleury at 50% results in the Penguins adding money with trading JJ. They need cap space right now, not to spend $3.5 million or more on a 1B goalie.

It doesn't work in a vacuum, it only works if there's another couple of trades. Hence it being super unlikely, but that's really the only way I can see MAF coming back unless he's bought out.

I dunno. I'm not going even worry about it until it becomes a hilarious reality.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Retaining and taking back a contract like JJ makes zero sense for Vegas.

A buyout is equal to this: 2.6, 3.1, 2.1, 2.1

They can’t retain more than 50%. Thus 3.5 mil. And then you add a contract onto that.... unless they retain a mil, thus Fleury costs 6 mil for someone else and then only takes back a Sceviour type contract then it makes no sense for LV to make a deal with another team. They should just buy him out or they need to work out a deal with another team and retain around 2.5 mil.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Canucks more eager on Ekman-Larsson, Hall could entertain short-term deal - Sportsnet.ca

2 potentially Penguins related hits:

1. Friedman says that Chicago is interested in Murray, echoing what Garrioch said earlier yesterday
2. Johnston said that Vegas is going to try to find a 3rd team to retain on Fleury. That actually makes acquiring Fleury more palatable for the Penguins. I think Vegas is doing this so they don't eat any of Fleury's contract though, but if Vegas was willing to retain some as well, they could get Fleury down to a price that works for the Penguins. Something like half retained by team B and $1 million retained by Vegas makes this work for the Penguins.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, on the real talk for a second, if Vegas would retain and take JJ, MAF becomes a lot more palatable as a trade, IMO.

I don't think there's any reason for Vegas to do that, to be clear, I'm just saying. If it did, hypothetically, go down like that, there's way worse ways to get JJ off the roster.

My exact thoughts.

It's weighing Fleury vs Johnson. 50% retention on Fleury with a 4th/5th added for Johnson with a 4th/5th added. More likely the 4th/5th added coming to the Pens for taking on more cap, the difference of .250

Johnson for Vegas for 3 years at 3.250 with a cap savings of .250 to help take the sting out of the 2 year 3.5 they retain on Fleury bringing the total down to 3.250 they retain for 2 years
vs
Fleury buyout and 4 years of
$2,583,333$3,083,333$2,083,333$2,083,333
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Pens get a good backup at 3.5 for 2 years

Now what to do with DeSmith? He won't want to be back down on the farm buried.

I also stress I prefer not to do this. It takes away from real needs on the team. But this is plausible.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Yeah, I agree it's definitely plausible. It's not necessarily the best outcome, by far, but if I had to choose between one of JJ or MAF on the team, I'd take MAF in a heartbeat.

Yeah, for all Sullivan's faults, mindless loyalty to MAF is not on the list. I don't mind listening to Yizers cry when he's glued to the bench in the playoffs.

Reactions: Riptide

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't even think that would work, to be honest. Even Fleury at 50% results in the Penguins adding money with trading JJ. They need cap space right now, not to spend $3.5 million or more on a 1B goalie.
Glad to see you've come around.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
And honestly, I think MAF would be a fine mentor for a young starter like Murray or Jarry at this point in his career. I don't think he'd pull a Barrasso and try to run them out of town or f*** with their heads or steal the net.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Canucks more eager on Ekman-Larsson, Hall could entertain short-term deal - Sportsnet.ca

2 potentially Penguins related hits:

1. Friedman says that Chicago is interested in Murray, echoing what Garrioch said earlier yesterday
2. Johnston said that Vegas is going to try to find a 3rd team to retain on Fleury. That actually makes acquiring Fleury more palatable for the Penguins. I think Vegas is doing this so they don't eat any of Fleury's contract though, but if Vegas was willing to retain some as well, they could get Fleury down to a price that works for the Penguins. Something like half retained by team B and $1 million retained by Vegas makes this work for the Penguins.

This makes the retaining even more plausible when Vegas can retain a small portion like 25% = 1.750 leaving 5.250 and the second team doing 50% = 2.625 of that for a final cap hit. That makes it much easier.

Or both just retain 25% and keep it at 3.5.

You should have kept that nugget to yourself. Haha.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was never not in that position. I thought Fleury made sense to sign if he's bought out, I never said it made sense to trade for him.

It makes sense if the Pens truly send out a bad contract like Johnsons. It might even require sending Murray to team B.

Like 3 birds with 2 stones. They might even get more than Fleury back in this kind of scenario with so many teams and moving parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad