Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
why would we want Fleury? McCann for Tuch straight up.
Well he has only one year left at 7 mil. He should be a Vezina candidate, and is .946 in the playoffs.

If you get anything close to this next year from him, he can win you a series.

It's a gamble at his age, but I've watched him play this playoffs. This might be the best form I've ever seen him in, in my life. Sports science is crazy now. Athletes are pushing boundaries with high caliber performance at older ages more and more often.

All we need is one more good year from him. Short term investment.

Think it should be a strong consideration if he's made available.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well he has only one year left at 7 mil. He should be a Vezina candidate, and is .946 in the playoffs.

If you get anything close to this next year from him, he can win you a series.

It's a gamble at his age, but I've watched him play this playoffs. This might be the best form I've ever seen him in, in my life. Sports science is crazy now. Athletes are pushing boundaries with high caliber performance at older ages more and more often.

All we need is one more good year from him. Short term investment.

Think it should be a strong consideration if he's made available.

he’s blowing a 3-1 lead right now.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
I don’t think it’s any one thing we can point to and say this needs fixed and robble robble.

Stars are old, goaltending has been an Achilles heel for some time save 2016-17, the mix up front isn’t right, Sullivan’s voice is likely getting stale, the brass refuse to let any of the big names go because of ticket sales, JR went off the rails...

It is what it is and they got three cups out of this era.

They maxed out the Crosby-Malkin era and I’m content TBTH.

No one will feel sorry for us Pens fans as my wife, who has waited her entire life to see the Leafs win one cup, keeps reminding me.

Plus, we could be Caps fan and have to live with the fact our org pissed away a generational talent.

Bro, there literally are no main pieces with this roster.

Anyone of them could be moved and I mean ANYONE, and it wouldn’t change much.

I see what you mean.

I still would love to see Crosby, Malkin, and Letang playing in a a system like Boston's. I think they are a much stronger core and we have a slight chance in the next 2/3 years with a bit better coach/less risky and more defensive shell.

Whatever... I'm not shelling out 80 million : )

If Malkin and Letang gave us a discount? Man we could do well.. if we can get someone to help drive the play with them.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Sullivan should be fired for trusting your dude Jarry.

The man collapsed.
Jarry wasn't the sole problem. He is as an amalgamation of all of the things wrong with this franchise and team as a whole.

The blame falls on Sullivan for sitting on his hands for so many decisions.

I wish we had a Brind Amour type of coach.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
If the cap is staying the same, I’d imagine Fleury will end up somewhere else next season. I don’t think they’ll roll with 12 million in net for another year, especially if they lose on Friday.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jarry wasn't the sole problem. He is as an amalgamation of all of the things wrong with this franchise and team as a whole.

I can’t believe the shit you gave Murray and are trying to give Jarry a pass.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Jarry could literally glove the puck down and toss it in the net and you would blame Sullivan.

Reactions: Rave7215

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I hope we get Fleury just so everyone can remember what a clown he is when the going gets real.
He was arguably the Conn Smythe performer of 2018. If Vegas survive and go deep then he's on pace to do something like that again.

You're look at this emotionally, rather than statistically or rationally. The odds of Fleury being better than Jarry in the playoffs for us is pretty high.

I'm not giving up on Jarry yet, like most of this board. I think he's done enough to lose the starting role though, and we need a failsafe.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Why does Sid's game uniquely suffer from playing with Jake and Rust, but their game doesn't suffer from playing with Sid?

If all three were essentially no-shows offensively and miserable all series long, what's the rationale behind Sid being the gem in the rough of that group?

They were all bad. Not equally, but not one of the forwards on that top line should escape scathing criticism. Not Jake for his miserable showing offensively and temper tantrums, not Rust for looking like a 4th liner all series long, and not Sid for being nowhere to be found offensively, yet again.

Sure Sid could of been a little better as well, but I do think the other two really dragged the line down. I also think that Sid plays a very cerebral type of hockey, and there aren't many wingers who can legit fit that style perfectly and/or see the game the way he does on a regular basis. That's why wingers like Jake and Rust tend to struggle sometimes with Sid, even more so when they're playing unfocused and uninspired hockey like they just did.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sure Sid could of been a little better as well, but I do think the other two really dragged the line down. I also think that Sid plays a very cerebral type of hockey, and there aren't many wingers who can legit fit that style perfectly and/or see the game the way he does on a regular basis. That's why wingers like Jake and Rust tend to struggle sometimes with Sid, even more so when they're playing unfocused and uninspired hockey like they just did.
Sid's had success with both of those wingers before, in the regular season as well as playoffs--though the latter is years in the rear view now.

They all sucked. Every single one of the guys on the top line. Sid doesn't escape valid and harsh criticism because he's a great dude or because of his legacy. If Jake and Rust being bad hampered his game, Sid being bad hampered their games too. Goes both ways. Not one time in the final couple of games did Sid really pose a threat to score. He had a strong start to the series, missed on a few close deflections and hit a post or two, but faded quickly and shifted gears to a much more defensively oriented style--arguably to the detriment of his offensive ability.

He may be hurt. He may just be old. His wingers definitely suck shit. His coach is terrible. There's a lot of factors at play here, but the certainty is that Sid didn't show up. Full stop.

Trading Sid is not happening. I don’t know why you keep suggesting it. This is a business and Sid is one of the biggest stars in the game still. He’s a massive revenue driver for our organization, not a cost. You may not see the value in that, but I can assure you the people who matter do.
Suggesting it and saying I'd have zero problem with it are two different things. I couldn't give a shit if this team traded anyone. Window's closed, era's done, etc. If they want to retire here, they've earned that right. If they want to chase the Cup elsewhere, also fine.

Watching Crosby and Malkin in Penguins sweaters while the team fails to make it out of the 1st round or watching a bunch of nobodies suck badly enough to earn top-5 picks makes no difference to me. They'll put butts in the seats and sell merch, but this team and core ain't winning a f***ing thing anymore.

Last edited:

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I think the big question is if Hex and Burke think they can piece together what they want by next season. If no, then I think you could get a pretty solid haul for Letang with a couple mil retention. Again, 100% contingent on next year not being targeted for a run.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
From what I can work out, for the expansion draft the following must be protected;

Crosby, Malkin, Letang - Due to NMC's

That leaves either 5 FWD's and 2 DEF and 1 Goalie or 5 Skaters and a Goalie

I would add Guentzel, Kapanen, Tanev, Carter and McCann for FWD and Marino and Dumoulin for DEF with De Smith in goal.

That leaves available after GP restrictions;

Zucker, Rust, Sceviour, ZAR, Blueger, Lafferty, Gaudreau, Jankowski, Rodrigues, Matheson, Pettersson, Ceci and Jarry.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Protect who you can trade for good returns. Expose who you're fine losing for free. I'm not sure what I'd even go with.

I'm over Jake, Rust and McCann. I have no real attachment to anyone, tbh, but those three can kick rocks. If the move makes sense and gives us a better shot down the road--since the current window is done and there's nothing we can do to change that imo--make that move.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'd still protect Jake because his regular season scoring is fine and he could probably bring in a good return or return to form, especially on a line with Malkin. Rust was handily outplayed by Zucker this series. McCann disappeared entirely and that's the most disappointing I think.

But hey, listen to offers see who wants what, trade for some Kapanen-esque players. Let Sid play with the scraps for once because f*** if Geno didn't earn it this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad