Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
Hallander’s slowdown isn’t worrying. Be great if he didn’t stop scoring, but no big deal. He’s young for his draft and playing in one of the best leagues in the world in a full time role. Any points are a bonus. I believe that even if he hovers at 0.5 ppg as a 18 year old it puts him in elite company for comparables. Anyone know if Timra is looking like they may stay up in the SHL standings wise? Probably the biggest factor in if he comes over next year.

@CheckingLineCenter - of course that slowdown isn't worrying, none of them are, but it would be cool if they wouldn't. Hopefully one of the Swedish posters will give us a more in depth opinion but from a casual look at the table, they're in trouble - and of course that's gotta be factored into Hallander's scoring.

Yes, Timra have been struggling a ton lately, especially on the road. Hallander have had a month where the bounces have been against him due to pionts. But he still have been one of Timras best FWs, creating alot of chanses. Really like his game.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
His strongest attribute is his playmaking ability. He's got a strong deceptive shot that many don't talk about. Dude can really snipe it sometimes. I actually think he should use it more instead of passing the puck as often as he does. Good size and speed. Also a solid defensive player, can PK. I could definitely see him in a top 9 role at the NHL level.

I feel like we know him already.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'd add that unless he's at the point where he's basically NHL ready, I'd rather leave him there even if he does drop a league. No point burning into ELC or unsettling him into he's ready to rock and roll. The AHL should be a brief stop, not a major part of his education.

I disagree. If they get relegated imo he 100% needs to be over in NA. No way do I want him jumping down competition wise.

Even if Timra stays up I think he should come to camp and start the year over here, then get sent back if he’s not ready for the small ice. There’s nothing to lose by doing that and Pens keep their options open. They could do what the Jets just did with Vesalainen (even though that was more his own choice), and Hallander would have a brief NHL stint, go play in the AHL, then back to SHL if he just isn’t ready.

His ELC can be slid for another year as long as he doesn’t play more than 9 NHL games. Could come over and play the whole year in WBS, and it wouldn’t be burned.

Curious as to why you wouldn’t want him in the AHL for long? 2nd best league in the world and I trust the dev staff.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I disagree. If they get relegated imo he 100% needs to be over in NA. No way do I want him jumping down competition wise.

Even if Timra stays up I think he should come to camp and start the year over here, then get sent back if he’s not ready for the small ice. There’s nothing to lose by doing that and Pens keep their options open. They could do what the Jets just did with Vesalainen (even though that was more his own choice), and Hallander would have a brief NHL stint, go play in the AHL, then back to SHL if he just isn’t ready.

His ELC can be slid for another year as long as he doesn’t play more than 9 NHL games. Could come over and play the whole year in WBS, and it wouldn’t be burned.

Curious as to why you wouldn’t want him in the AHL for long? 2nd best league in the world and I trust the dev staff.

Partially because I was under the belief that the ELC starts getting burnt through the moment he's playing professionally in NA. Now that I know its not true I'm a lot less opposed.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Partially because I was under the belief that the ELC starts getting burnt through the moment he's playing professionally in NA. Now that I know its not true I'm a lot less opposed.

Yeah the Scandinavian prospects are just the best in terms of flexibility.

One thing I’m not sure about is if the Pens got sneaky, played him in WBS all year, then brought him up for the last 9 games of the season+ playoffs. Would his ELC still slide?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
"The Sea Dogs will almost assuredly trade D'Orio to a contender soon, as many poor teams typically do with their good players in their final year of juniors. Saint John acquired a goaltender this week, Mikhail Denisov, meaning a trade will likely come soon."

Praise be!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Saint John's is the worst team in all of juniors both in terms of win/loss record and goal differential.

What half-descent Q teams need a starting goalie that don't already have one?

Reactions: steelcityassault

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah the Scandinavian prospects are just the best in terms of flexibility.

One thing I’m not sure about is if the Pens got sneaky, played him in WBS all year, then brought him up for the last 9 games of the season+ playoffs. Would his ELC still slide?

When it comes to contract sliding, they count "NHL games" which counts both regular season and playoff games. So if he played 9 regular season games, then the first playoff game he played in would prevent the contract from sliding (technically, the wording in the CBA doesn't have years "not count" or "slide", but rather says that if the player doesn't reach 10 NHL games, another year is added to the contract at the end of each of the 18- and 19-year-old seasons, but that's just picking nits).

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

giphy.gif

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Yes Taylors write up on Lauzon was about his health and what he has gone through. He is expected to be ready sometime in December and clearly he needs to develop from there. But man any injury that puts him out for that length of time is tough.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Saint John's is the worst team in all of juniors both in terms of win/loss record and goal differential.

What half-descent Q teams need a starting goalie that don't already have one?

Best hope would be Halifax, who is hosting the Mem Cup. They have Gravel as their starter, but he was sub-par last year (was thought of as a potential 1st rounder at the beginning of the year, but dropped to to the 6th), so i'm not sure how confident they are in him. He's been decent this year, but D'Orio would be an upgrade in all likelihood (tough to really assess D'Orio on such an awful team). Halifax & Moncton would be the only upper echelon teams that i would think may have interest, but even they might be longshots.

After that, you get into the middle of the road teams, and he'd be a nice pickup for a couple of them (Sherbrooke, & Gatineau come to mind)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Only thing i really know about Almari is the brass and some WB watchers were impressed with him when he came over for WB's playoff run and they played him in a game.
I don't believe he's this great offensive d-man but has good fundamentals that might translate. Sorta like a healthy Lauzon would look.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Ugh. They’re in such a rough spot with Lauzon and he is too. He’s played 32 games since being drafted, was in and out with his injury during those games and the games he has this year will be after a lot of time off. Maybe he was always a bust, maybe he’s permanently derailed or maybe he’s only temporarily derailed. Short of being great at some point this season I think it’s all a gamble and on their highest pick of that draft.

That picture of Bellerive’s hands...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Brett Connolly was able to become a full-time NHL player even with his freakish hand, so maybe there's hope for Bellerive.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Never a guarantee with the morons running this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad